The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

New to group and starting off with a bang... Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Talking New to group and starting off with a bang...

Hello,

I am new to Gearslutz, but not new to location recording. I have been doing it on and off for several years since college and I must admit a lot has changed. So, now I look to you for guidance.

I have been offered (what I consider) a terrific opportunity, to record a regional choral society for archival purposes. They have some equipment and I going to flesh out the rest. They have a Genex GX8000 (I am not familiar with this piece, not used one before.) and a couple of Neumann TLM 103 LDCs, but they are not happy with the sound that they were getting.

Anyway, here is what I am thinking. I would use a pair Schoeps MK4 for a main pair, a pair Neumann KM84i for outriggers and for occasional harpsichord/piano forte spots a pair of KM184.

As for recording, my options are to use my laptop with 2 Metric Halo ULN-2 for now and wait for the Mil Media HV-3C with the AD converters and run into the digital in for one of the ULNs (that is whenever it becomes available). Or, I can use their Genex and purchase other pieces to make it work. I was thinking an 8 channel mic pre (Mil, DAV or Grace), and a Mytek 8x192 AD/DA, and go into the Genex. Then mix at another studio.

Which would you do? Am I on the right track or over thinking it? Oh yeah, they do have a budget for this, but if they buy I get paid less.

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Choral Society

I forgot to mention, this group travels (churches, concert halls and the dreaded cafegymatorium (I am told), so my luxury of having one set room does not exist.

Thanks again.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
my luxury of having one set room does not exist.
Sounds like you'll need the luxury of more mics then

Pair of omnis (KM183, MK2s, similar) would be a good idea in good-sounding venues. Getting the SBK eyeballs (or DIYing them) can make them work in non-top-of-the-line rooms too, as they give a little more focus and directivity.
In bad rooms, you might want to try more mics closer in to the choir. Maybe 3 or 4 cardioids spread across the choir's first row, or even 3 across the front and another 2 farther into the choir. That would be your MK4s, 84s, and maybe one of your 184s.
If your main pair is good, you might need only 1 piano/harpsi spot.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Yes, that was my main fear about accepting this job. But, I needed more mics anyway. I received the performance schedule this morning. The first 2 jobs are in the cathedrals at 2 private colleges here in town. I recorded one of my quartets in one of those rooms several years ago. No real mic issues there, thankfully.

Thanks, pkautzch, for input keep them coming. By the way what do use as a recorder? Is that an old Nagra in your avatar?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, it's a Nagra 4.2.
1/4", Mono, 2 great mic pres. And absolutely reliable. I use it in occasional indie film projects, mostly with a T powered MKH416.
My music recording setup is Nuendo on a laptop fed from a MOTU 896 Firewire interface which might be augmented with Audient pres when more than 8 channels are needed. The MOTU pres are "boring but clean" type. Backup for critical recordings is a Fostex 24-tk HD recorder.
Oh, mics. Pairs of MK4, MK21, KM183, KM184, and three Oktava 012s with omni/cardio/hyper caps each. On axis, used as spots, they can fully stand up against the big name mics. Off-axis, it's a different story. Still they might be worth a look if you need lots of mics for closer distances.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info. I have never looked into the Oktavas, but considering the price, I can't see a huge downfall. Plus, I want to supplement my collection with some active stands for the Schoeps. I think it is the best way to keep a clean look in front of the singers.

Thanks again.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

As far as your miking, I would certainly consider using the 184s as outriggers and the KM84is as close-miking spots. Each of my KM84s have a slightly different 'flavor' in spite of being tuned to match, and I think you will find the 184s have more top end which will serve better as a distant mic while the 84i will add the proximity of the instrument without adding 'bite'.

Just my $0.02. Hope these thoughts help!

JvB
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Seems I mixed up 84 and 184 again in my post recommending 184 as spots. Thanks for the reminder, Jim
The 184s indeed will sound very nasal and strange when too close. Put up a little farther than one would normally think, they can shine.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks. I was wondering about that. The only things that I have ever used the KM184 as spots on were OH. The 84i are terrific in my opinion. What are your opinions on the KM183s, compared to the modular Neumanns.

Thanks again.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I happen to like the KM184s, 185s, and 183's...but I don't like them as much as Gefells or Schoeps on classical. I like them as spot mics or room mics for things that need some 'shape', as they aren't totally accurate or neutral. I prefer the KM100 with 40 capsule, it's awfully darn close, but slightly better to me.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps!

JvB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search