The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

How to check quality of snake?
Old 11th September 2007
Question How to check quality of snake?

I have been replacing my cabling with higher quality cables (mogami/neutrik) and getting rid of all my old POS musicians friend cables. The snake I use to record drums was custom built about 10 years ago by the previous owner. I believe it's between 50 and 75 feet long, would anyone know how to check the quality of it? The only thing I can think of is measuring the resistance, anyone know what I should get? By the way, I was reading about 1.4ohms with my old 20 foot cables, and am getting about .8ohms now with my new cables. Thanks.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you can get both ends close together, start looping all the XLRF connectors to the XLRM connectors until you have one M and one F left - M1 into F2, M2 into F3, etc - plug a mic into the free F end and plug the M into a preamp. Compare the sound to a shorter cable of known quality. That will multiply any issues with the snake many times over. If you don't hear much of a difference, you're golden. If what you hear worries you, just compare one pair of the snake to a good cable.

Use your ears - what else matters?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
The above is a great and simple way to test any cable, but remember that this only works for low imedence inputs (i.e. mic). Line outs over longer distances should be fed into the mic input.
Old 11th September 2007
I didn't think about looping the cables to make one gigantic long cable, great idea. I'll have to attempt that when I have time to pull the box end back into my other room. Thanks.
Old 11th September 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

A obsessive/compulsive friend of mine checked 50 feet of all the high end cables with square waves looking for overshoot and other artifacts...Canare won.
Old 12th September 2007
Well...I tested it. Overall I would say the cable is pretty good. I ran the test through a 20ft mogami cable, then 20ft mogami cable into about half of the snake, a little over 600 feet. The only real difference was that there was a little more noise going through the snake. I think my snake cable is pretty good. I may end up replacing the connectors eventually....
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
A obsessive/compulsive friend of mine checked 50 feet of all the high end cables with square waves looking for overshoot and other artifacts...Canare won.
he'd better be recording some really good music...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

With these babys (Palau Sea Snake) if you don't die within 5 minutes of being bitten, the snake is punk.
Attached Thumbnails
How to check quality of snake?-palauseasnake.jpg  
Old 12th September 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
With these babys (Palau Sea Snake) if you don't die within 5 minutes of being bitten, the snake is punk.
I didn't know the islands had snakes. You lucky sob
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Aggresive little serpent.

Shot that on an island in the Rock Islands of Palau. It chased us off the beach and into our boat.

I'm much more comfortable with the Mogami & Canare varieties.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search