The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Have you ever tried the Shure Ezo mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th July 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
d_fu's Avatar
 

Talking Have you ever tried the Shure Ezo mics?

As a spinoff of another thread here's the off topic stuff from the "Best on flying mics" thread.

This post was edited by Remoteness.
Note: I copied the original thread then split them apart.
I didn't want the original thread left muddy, but I didn't want to silence the off topic posts either, so IMO this was the best solution.

Last edited by d_fu; 9th September 2007 at 08:01 PM..
Old 8th September 2007
  #2
Gear Head
Hi! what a great thread!! Keep doing this!
I have a question for all of you. Have you ever tried the Shure Ezo mics? I think they are specifically made for these situations, right?
Thanks!
Daniel O.
Old 8th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
sonare's Avatar
The problem with the Shures is that they don't sound like Schoeps, DPA, Neumann, etc etc.

IOW it is worth the extra trouble to get the right sounds.

Rich
Old 8th September 2007
  #4
Gear Head
Wow, are they so crap? Will you consider them for $60/70 a piece? Or not at all?
Thanks!
Old 8th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
sonare's Avatar
The mics I mentioned are $1000-2000 each. You connect the dots.

Rich
Old 8th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Wow, are they so crap? Will you consider them for $60/70 a piece? Or not at all?
Thanks!
Well, not to sound stuck up, but I don't even consider mics that cost that little. Heck, even a SM57 is going to cost you $80-$100.

Sure for a cut-rate mic, they are ok, but you certainly get what you pay for. They are exceedingly noisy, the pickup pattern is not precise, and the top end makes an AKG C1000 seem dark. Other than that, they are fine...

--Ben
Old 9th September 2007
  #7
Gear Head
Thanks for your replies. I'm starting a new business with a very small budget in my country, and I've bought 6 of these mics for $65 a piece. Looking for some help on the web in order to learn how to hang them in an auditorium I found this forum. But it's clearly for more professional approaches and bigger wallets. I don't think I will ever have $1000 for a mic in my life. And if I need more than two.... forget it.
Thanks anyway! The forum is absolutely amazing, even though I cannot afford the ropes or ladders you use....
Old 9th September 2007
  #8
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Wow, are they so crap? Will you consider them for $60/70 a piece? Or not at all?
Thanks!

You are only as good as your weakest link.

Do you want your weakest link to be the first link in the chain?
It will never sound any better than the input (choice) you picked.

Save up and start with a good pair of mics.

With that said, if you (or your clients) cannot not hear the difference between an inexpensive transducer from an expensive one, then go with the $60.00 mics and have a nice day.
Old 9th September 2007
  #9
Gear Head
Steve, I've just asked a question and received my answer. That was it. I don't like your reply.
So please, F YOU have a nice day.
Old 9th September 2007
  #10
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Steve, I've just asked a question and received my answer. That was it. I don't like your reply.
So please, F YOU have a nice day.
Daniel O.,

Is this how people treat their forum moderators in Argentina? I think not.

I wasn't trying to offend you. I've stated this concept before in other threads.

In any event, I don't like your answer either... Now we're even!

Oh by the way, since you told me to fukk myself -- You are not welcomed here anymore.

Have a super nice day!
Old 9th September 2007
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

ahhh, the internet!

anyway, this thread is enjoyable. for some reason, i really like hearing about/reading about/looking at classical recording setups.
Old 9th September 2007
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Shure Ezo mics?
Aren't they spanish sausages ?!?
Old 9th September 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Steve, I've just asked a question and received my answer. That was it. I don't like your reply.
So please, F YOU have a nice day.
Wow... I was getting ready to send you a few tips on how to use these mics and get the most out of them (including positioning, hanging, etc...). However, dropping the F-bomb on the moderator is uncalled for. So much for that advice- I'll keep it to myself (as you see- I actually have used these nasty little mics and could have something constructive to add).

If your skin isn't thick enough to be on the internet, go away. Come back with your tail between your legs, apologize to Steve and I'll think about posting advice for you.

-Ben
Old 9th September 2007
  #14
Gear Head
Steve, you said:

>> You are only as good as your weakest link.
Do you want your weakest link to be the first link in the chain?
It will never get any better than the input (choice) you picked.
Save up and start with a good pair of mics. <<

This was a positive reply, and I think you are 100% right.

But then you finished with:

>> With that said, if you (or your clients) cannot not hear the difference between an inexpensive transducer from an expensive one, then go with the $60.00 USD mics and have a nice day.<<

And this kind of expression is an offense.

If it wasn't your intention, I must apologize, I thought it was.

With that said, please accept my sincere apologizes.

Thank you.
Old 9th September 2007
  #15
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Here's my response.

I believe perception is everything.

We think of reality as authenticity or the truth with complete certainty, but (IMO) there’s no reality, only perception of what we think reality is.

You can take three people that just witnessed a situation; if you asked them what happened, you may get three different reactions to the action that just accrued.

There’s only perception…

I’ve stated both comments before.

I chatted about the “weakest link” syndrome and I have also chatted up about "hearing the difference." and I never got an "F-bomb" about either of them.

On the last part, I was referring to a fact of economics.
Let me explain: If you cannot hear the different, why buy the more expensive item?
Why waste the balloons if you or your client cannot hear the difference?
(As your business grows and you get better at what you do you could consider better mic options.)

You took it as offensive advice.
You could have expressed your thoughts without telling me to go fukk myself.
You clearly were doing your best to offend me and at this point a simple apology is not enough for me.
Do you truly regret saying what you said? I do not know.

Is your goal to get back into the forum or are you genuinely sincere about your apology?
I need to think about this a bit.
Let’s take this one step at a time.
Only time will tell for sure.

Remember, perception is everything, especially on the Internet. YMMV
Old 9th September 2007
  #16
Gear Head
Steve,

I wouldn't waste my time just to get back to the forum.
I was/am genuinely sincere about my apology.
My perception of your comment was "If you cannot afford these mics, please don't bother us..."
Thanks.
Old 10th September 2007
  #17
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Steve,

I wouldn't waste my time just to get back to the forum.
I was/am genuinely sincere about my apology.
My perception of your comment was "If you cannot afford these mics, please don't bother us..."
Thanks.
That's cool,

I guess you haven't lurked enough on this forum to see where my heart is truly placed.

I'm a "the glass is half full" rather than "half empty" kind of guy, so I don't know...

My past and present comments, advice and observations should speak for themselves.
I stand by all my threads and posts within this forum.

I re-read, what I wrote and my perception of the quote still stands.
Perhaps if I wrote, "...and, have a nice day with them" it would have come off differently to you, but that's how it goes I'm afraid.

Does it merit an earned "fukk you" comment? My experience and assessment says no.

Our steady (contributing) members and I participate in a fair discussion group.
I'm happy to report, we run a clean machine here.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...tive-vibe.html
Old 11th September 2007
  #18
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
If your skin isn't thick enough to be on the internet, go away. Come back with your tail between your legs, apologize to Steve and I'll think about posting advice for you.

-Ben
Ben, as you may see, I've sent my apologizes to Steve already. I'd like to know about your experience with these mics.

Thanks.
Old 12th September 2007
  #19
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
What do you think about the comments I made?

You didn't reply and I was wondering about it.

Thanks so much (in advance) for your time and consideration to reply!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Ben, as you may see, I've sent my apologizes to Steve already. I'd like to know about your experience with these mics.

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
That's cool,

I guess you haven't lurked enough on this forum to see where my heart is truly placed.

I'm a "the glass is half full" rather than "half empty" kind of guy, so I don't know...

My past and present comments, advice and observations should speak for themselves.
I stand by all my threads and posts within this forum.

I re-read, what I wrote and my perception of the quote still stands.
Perhaps if I wrote, "...and, have a nice day with them" it would have come off differently to you, but that's how it goes I'm afraid.

Does it merit an earned "fukk you" comment? My experience and assessment says no.

Our steady (contributing) members and I participate in a fair discussion group.
I'm happy to report, we run a clean machine here.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...tive-vibe.html
Old 12th September 2007
  #20
Gear Head
Steve

I said I do apologize twice. And I was sincere both times. What else can I do? If you don't accept them, it's ok, it's your choice.
It doesn't make any sense to keep talking about this issue.

Daniel O.
Old 12th September 2007
  #21
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Look, telling a moderator F YOU is not the coolest thing to do or say...

I needed a little more response from you.
IMO, a simple 'sorry' is not enough.
I asked you what you thought of the comments I made.
You didn't reply and I kindly asked you again.
I thanked you for your time and consideration and you still decided you said nothing.
Old 12th September 2007
  #22
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Daniel O and I have worked out our issues via PMs and I'm happy to say, everything is everything.

All the best to you and yours!
Old 13th September 2007
  #23
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
If your skin isn't thick enough to be on the internet, go away. Come back with your tail between your legs, apologize to Steve and I'll think about posting advice for you.

-Ben
Hi Ben,

It's me again. Things are ok now, Steve and I worked out this issue and everyone is in peace now.
Could you please share with us your experience with the Ezo mics?
Thanks!
Old 13th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
Could you please share with us your experience with the Ezo mics?
I'm not Ben, and he has great wealth of knowledge. Until he chimes in, I'll share my experience with these mics.

Sonically, it's a cross between an SM98 and an SM81, and sadly, I think it's closer to the SM98. I believe it uses the same capsule & preamp that is shared in the 98 and the lav WL184. It's not awful, but I'd pair it with a really good preamp if you want it to sound any better than mediocre. Does this help at all?

JvB
Old 13th September 2007
  #25
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
...What you said, makes a lot of sense JvB.
Old 14th September 2007
  #26
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
It's not awful, but I'd pair it with a really good preamp if you want it to sound any better than mediocre. Does this help at all?

JvB
It does, for sure. But I'm still thinking about what Steve said some days ago regarding the weakest link on the audio chain.
These are $65 mics, so, how "good" should the preamp be? I'll try with what I already have, some tube preamps and a SM PR8E, and that's it. After the test I'll decide if I keep them or not.
What I would like to know is if there are some tips about hanging them. I'll receive 6 of these mics. How many should I use? I know that the number will depend on how many people is in the choir, but is there any rule to consider?
Thanks.
Old 14th September 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Jim vanBergen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
It does, for sure. But I'm still thinking about what Steve said some days ago regarding the weakest link on the audio chain.
These are $65 mics, so, how "good" should the preamp be? I'll try with what I already have, some tube preamps and a SM PR8E, and that's it. After the test I'll decide if I keep them or not.
What I would like to know is if there are some tips about hanging them. I'll receive 6 of these mics. How many should I use? I know that the number will depend on how many people is in the choir, but is there any rule to consider?
Thanks.
Well, a $1500 pre makes a $65 mic sound a LOT better than a $100 pre does. It's the first big, noticeable step, using either a great mic or a great pre, which tends to be why people immediately suggest high end mics and high end preamps. An SM58 sounds pretty good on vocals pumped thru the right preamp, and a basic Sm57 thru a germanium or Neve preamp can yield results you never heard before thru a Yamaha or Soundcraft mixing console, plus adding color for days!

How large is the choir? Do you know exactly how they'll be arranged? I find these mics are best spaced no more than six to eight feet apart, and no LESS than six feet above the voices- assuming you can afford the distance for recording, not for live sound reinforcement. For bigger stages, you have to really experiment to try and get an even coverage, and sometimes for recording a stereo pair a little back behind the conductor is far superior to multiple near mics for getting the correct blend.

Hope this helps!!

JvB
Old 24th October 2007
  #28
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Wow... I was getting ready to send you a few tips on how to use these mics and get the most out of them (including positioning, hanging, etc...).
-Ben
Ben,
could you please post your tips? Everything is ok with Steve now.
Thank you!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Deleted User / Low End Theory
4
jeremy.c. / Drums
12
mrbowes / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
turk sanchez / High end
20
ExistanceMusic / So much gear, so little time
18

Forum Jump
Forum Jump