The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Please Recommend a good Binaural Mic Set Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I found a supplier for styrofoam heads.. you know the kind they put wigs on etc.

I'm looking for something to stuff it's ears with myself
See if you can find a pair of used (discontinued) AKG C 567 E1 hardwired lavaliers.

Here's the info:
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...962062dc26.gif
Old 19th April 2010
Gear Head

Binaural mics / breathing

My standard binaural mics are custom modified DPA4060's for ear canal insertion.

Spinning around is not a problem if you are carrying the recorder. If you attach a small recorder to the base of a dummy head a la Mike Skeet, and spin that as a complete recording unit I recon it would be interesting.

Minimising / eliminating breathing sounds with in-ear DPA4060's, which are highly sensitive, is challenging. The secret is 'open mouth non turbulent breathing', and don't do any vigorous exercise while recording - unless the heavy breathing is required in the recording!

dallas
Old 19th April 2010
Gear Head

binaural on speakers

Rav,
Pure binaural, that is a recording using ears and a dummy or real head, is a headphone only format. On speakers phasing and comb filtering artefacts will be heard especially on moving sounds due to the pinnae (ears) encoding. These artefacts can be eliminated using crosstalk cancellation techniques, but then you must use 'bipolar' speakers, that is two speakers about 20cm / 8 inches apart.

For speaker presentation many recordists use 'pseudo binaural' approaches, which may range from a Jecklin Disc, crude dummy head with no ears, as some users on this thread, or even spaced omnis. Not the full binaural on headphones, but far better speaker presentation compromise.

Foe environmental ambiance the Jecklin Disk approach can give very good results, I have used a cardboard disc about 22 cm / 9 inches diameter, padded with several layers of thick cloth on either side to a depth of about 1 inch / 3 cm, with mics placed facing foward at the centre of each side of the disc and about 6cm / 2 inch from the cloth surface.
dallas.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search