The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Monitors for Orchestral stuff? Studio Monitors
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Monitors for Orchestral stuff?

I need new monitors and my budget is about $500 a pair.

I think my needs are somewhat small now as I am only in a bedroom 11x10. Was thinking about KRK V4 if they're still around or perhaps
the new Alesis M1 active 620.
Can anyone think of specail needs for this type of music, all I can think of is ultra clear and precise mids.
Thanks to anyone with input.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, first get sennheiser hd600 headphones I'd say...
Old 6th September 2007
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I was (am) in this boat too and started a thread a couple of months ago precisely on this topic.

I listened to Event and KRK in this price range, but the advice I got here was spot on .... there's just nothing new at this price point that is really that good sounding to me. I heard the Dynaudios BM5As (1000.00) and they are fabulous. I'm still shopping, but I've got my eye on Genelec 8020As. These are 800.00 street and look impressive for their diminutive size....
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hey, Mike;

An article in Stereophile prompted me to go hear a pair of Paradigm Atom monitors. Yes, these are consumer speakers, but, man ! They're small (5 inch woofer, little dome tweeter) and light (11 pounds each), but they DO midrange and have very accurate highs. Get this - $250 THE PAIR. NEW.

Hope I caught you in time...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
I'm still shopping, but I've got my eye on Genelec 8020As. These are 800.00 street and look impressive for their diminutive size....
The most miserable 2 days I have spent in a while was mastering a surround orchestral thing on Genelecs. They were not the ribbon tweeters.

Previously I really grew tired of listening on just a pair a few times, but they WILL make you aware of any problems in the material.

Look for some older B&Ws or Spendors.

Rich
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, first get sennheiser hd600 headphones I'd say...
This is the best advice if your budget really is that low
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

classical monitors

I have used genelecs for years, and all I do is classical. But I have got used to them, though I never really liked them. I am thinking about going with some nearfield adams. Anyone have input?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search