The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

INXS Live
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Talking INXS Live

Monday night, I went again to Belmont Country Club to hear INXS.

Strong performance by the band and good sound, but man those guys are working
hard for a crowd of maybe 1500 people.

Without an official Gearslutz Press Pass heh my access was pretty much limited to
brief questions directed at the sound crew.

They were using a Yamaha Digital Console, Yamaha power amps and that was pretty much all I could see in the sound tent.

On stage there was plenty of power driving the sound system, but I couldn't get close enough to see anything specific.

I did notice that each guitarist had a matched pair of Marshall half stacks and the
bass player had a pair of SVT's but only one mic was hanging on one of each pair.

One of the sound guys implied that some of that set-up was strictly for show
and that most of their real tones were coming from their back line racks.

Overall, really enjoyed INXS and their new singer fit right in.

The warm up group, Fighting Gravity played well, but their lead vocalist
was all over the place singing flat numerous times.
The group needs to do some serious work on back up vocals if that
guy is going to be their singer. Whew!
Old 5th September 2007
Super Moderator

How was that new vocalist?

The guy that won the Rockstar INXS challenge?

Is he a great front man for the band?

I knew he was going to win...

I was still hoping for a couple of other folks to win that show.
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

Yamaha power amps in the sound tent ? tutt !

Of course i wasnt there but ...
I can tell u blindly for 90% but i cld be wrong of course, that those must have been the power supplies for the mixer heh We normally dont keep amps in the sound tent except for a pair of monitors we might use only in festivals.
Normal place for amps is as close to speakers as possible, right near the stacks

Regarding backline props ... its very normal to even hv huge marshall stacks for visual impact.normally only one or 2 cabs are actually used and the rest unplugged.
I had a player that had an endorsment with a brand of amp ... his real amp was a tweed which was invisible to the public

Dont be too hard on the support act's singer.A support act hv normally zip channels to work with and that includes zip monitoring as well

Glad to know INXS are back on the road !

good morning
Old 5th September 2007

It was slightly unnerving to watch watch them at Hammersmith Apollo a few months back --- I felt like I was watching an actor doing the Hutchence moves and look. (including hair and shades) --- and trying too hard.

I think the guy became more "himself" later in the show.

I'm pretty sure the (guitarist) Farriss brother stage right wasn't plugged in to his Marshall or anything for that matter, until the last couple of songs. Looked like he was just miming. And his timing looked way off too, so maybe he was a little bit worse for wear that night, an dthey decided on a little "risk management" heh

Anyway the drummer and bass player were doing all the rockstar moves and rock-steady too.

The Farriss brother stage right is a great guitar player (looked like he was using a Mesa Road King?) Very soulful. Great keyboard player too --- I'm guessing he's the "Main guy?"
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

steve, from what i've been told, that guy won before the contest started.
he already had the gig.

i'm not certain about this, but i've been told that the whole concept of that show was just entertainment, and a vehicle to reinvent and promote inxs.

unfortunately they just didn't tell the other contestants...(!)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

You're most probably right about those 2 Yamaha amps being the power supply for the mixing console along with a few DSP units in the rack.

After looking at Yamaha's Commercial audio page, I'm pretty sure the console
was a Yamaha PM5D series.

Amazingly compact system compared to the board used the previous week for Peter Frampton.

Hats off to the engineers for both of those shows for getting great sound.

The lead singer had the voice and all the moves and once in a while you could hear them girlies swooning up front.

Funny he did make a comment about never changing your hair and his speaking voice was a bit ragged, blamed on too much birthday festivities.

I really liked the bass player's tone, Metalic Blue P-Bass through the SVT.
None better really. That guy knows how to hold bottom with no nonsense.

The KB player had this very old looking KB amp, head-cab configuration on top of an extention cabinet, but I couldn't make out the logo. Dare I guess Dumble.

The two unsung hero's of the show were their female vocalist and the sax player.
Excellent work!

Must get Jules to send me a Press Pass heh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search