The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

classical recording : advice Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Talking classical recording : advice

Hi

I recorded a "young swiss artists" concert in a swiss intenational music festival. Players are 15 to 20 years old.

It took place in a large church, very different chamber music groups (violin duet, piano 4tet, string quartet, solo piano, 10 strings+ piano etc...), so micing was even more than usally a compromise.

Audio chain :
- main mics : schoeps cmc6/mk21 (subcardio) in wide ortf, front of the stage, 2.70 meters high. DAV BG1-> mytek stereo AD.

- piano spot mics : schoeps cmc6/mk4 xy, very near (into not catch stringed instruments). Audient ASP 008 (pre+AD conv.).

Due to the very reverberant acoustic, i had to mostly record the piano with spot mics.

P.S. : How micing a piano avoiding a left side too loud (hammers hitting strings onthis side) ???

piano quartet wav file : piano 4tet.wav

solo piano wav file: liszt.wav
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

No advice ?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

One technique I have used with some success is mic'ing more towards the foot of the piano facing up the strings towards the hammers. I generally use spaced techniques on piano.

Even if I am placing halfway down the body, I will generally turn the rig somewhat so that the bass hammers are more or less in the center. The image can sometimes be a little funny depending on the exact placement, but it is usually pretty stable with the lows coming from the right, the highs from the left, most of the piano more-or-less in the center and no listening fatigue on one side of the head.

Generally, I have found this to be more of a problem with closer mic placements and smaller pianos (probably in bad rooms, hence the closer mic placment).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search