The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Starting a classical recording label
Old 31st August 2007
Talking Starting a classical recording label

We have started a classical recording label that will be going live in about two years.

Right now we are booking orchestras, soloists and chambergroups.

The search for distribution here and in the us is on and we are looking at various options for printing the cd's and SACD's.

We also do not have a name as of yet, suggestions are most welcome.

I would like to hear thought on the following:

Printing services in the EU - good and bad experiences and suggestion of various companies.

Distribution EU and USA.

Kjetil
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Send me a PM with your intentions and we can talk.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Kjetil,

We might be able to help each other, send me a PM
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Congrats, Kjetil! Very exciting. Personally, I'm glad there's another label coming with a focus on SACD.

I'd love to hear more when you have a chance. Are you coming to AES NY this year?

Best,
Silas
Old 1st September 2007
Thanks Silas!
I am confident there will also be a possible high definition delivery format in either HDdvd or Bluray and consequently all our recording will be done with that in mind.

In the long term I would like to have three hubs.
One in central europe, one on the US east coast and one here in southern scandinavia.

Silas, AES is not an option as we are terribly busy here.
I will however be in chicago for a week or two around christmas
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Would be more than willing to help and/or cooperate... I'm prety central european here...

Daniel
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Very interesting. I wish you all the good luck and make better music...
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
We have started a classical recording label that will be going live in about two years.

Right now we are booking orchestras, soloists and chambergroups.

The search for distribution here and in the us is on and we are looking at various options for printing the cd's and SACD's.

We also do not have a name as of yet, suggestions are most welcome.

I would like to hear thought on the following:

Printing services in the EU - good and bad experiences and suggestion of various companies.

Distribution EU and USA.

Kjetil

i would love to hear 1" 2 track classical recordings.....my favorite classical recordings
are all on vinyl and they predate digital recording....

the 1" 2 track could create a master that could be enjoyed in all of the mentioned
playback mediums.....

be well

- jack
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Would be more than willing to help and/or cooperate... I'm prety central european here...

Daniel
Same goes for me, as I'm located about 100 km south of Daniel. Probably rather on the "helping and getting more experienced" side...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help... Sounds like a great idea...
I'm located in Los Angeles.

--Ben
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm in Denmark; and I'm interested in how this evolves.
I have been into location recording [freelance, part time] of classical and other music for some years, and I know quite a few classical musicians here in Copenhagen!

Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like a good idea.

I, too, would like to hear material released on SACD that originated on analog tape. 1/4", 1/2" or 1"---any would be fine.

Stellavox SM-8 sound is mindblowing!

Best wishes for a phat tube sound.

cordially,
PlushPhonic
Old 4th September 2007
XLR
Gear Maniac
Great idea!
I'd also be glad to contribute my little part.
PM sent.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

One more thumbsup for a great idea!!

I am slowly building here in Japan, so if there is any interest from your side in this part of the world, give us a shout! Always keen to lend a helping hand on projects of this nature.

Best,

Phil.
Old 4th September 2007
Phil, mutual distribution and listing in eachothers catalogues would be a good idea in terms of reaching other markets.
Lets stay in touch

Kjetil
Old 4th September 2007
A kind thanks to Plus for donating a pair of M222's to the cause

Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would like to see more contemporary music on SACD (or other high-resolution formats). I love standard-rep classical and baroque and renaissance music, and I'm very encouraged to see more of it coming out in SACD, but I really think that contemporary music would be very well served by the increased dynamic range and multi-channel capabilities of SACD (or some new HD-DVD or Blu-Ray based format). There are some great new music ensembles and performers in Scandinavia and it would wonderful to hear them in high-resolution.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Just wanted to add my congrats and best wishes! As a composer I also have to second the suggestion for recording more contemporary music.

If you are looking for composers to record or perform, I'd be happy to send you my CD of orchestral ballet scores, when it is done. It was recorded here in NYC and mastered by a fellow GS at Sony Music Studios earlier this week!

Merde!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

great!

maybe you should check out thise company:

http://www.immediatemusic.com/

and follow what they are doing. good source of revenue and great for europe that nmore and more films are coming out from there.
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroNYC View Post
Just wanted to add my congrats and best wishes! As a composer I also have to second the suggestion for recording more contemporary music.

If you are looking for composers to record or perform, I'd be happy to send you my CD of orchestral ballet scores, when it is done. It was recorded here in NYC and mastered by a fellow GS at Sony Music Studios earlier this week!

Merde!
Send me the CD.

More than half of the music scheduled to be recorded is written after 1945.
We will do a significant amount of Ingolf Dahl, a close associate of Stravinsky and an important figure in the american postwar music.

I think one of the largest problems with contemporary music is the lack of quality control.
It has not been politically correct to say a modern piece or composer
is sub par.
I will only publish well crafted contemporary music that at least one of our associates actually enjoy listening to.
For me that is about one in every 20 modern pieces I come across.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Understandably so... and am glad to hear your dedication to contemporary music.

Please PM your address and I'll send you a CD in a few weeks when they are back from duplication.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

For traditional distribution in the US contact Albany Distributors. For non-traditional look at CD Baby.

I must wonder whether this will follow the common model of very little if any front money to musicians with them getting theirs later, and if not-- how does your business plan look?

Rich
Old 8th September 2007
Rich,
I cannot discuss the financial arrangement with the players on a forum.
I would be happy to share with you in the form of a pm.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

West End String Quartet

artist suggestion! they play lots of great modern stuff- piazzola, ives, and young composer commissions. very talented group. they just got back from the vail music festival in colorado- they were the young artists in residence.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just a spontaneous highly forgettable thought, nothing more: looking at the overflooding catalogues of hundreds of classical recording labels all over the world - is there still something that has not been recorded so many times with all possible and impossible artists and orchestras of the past and present ?

But as I can see, here the tendency is to concentrate more on the contemporary music, which is good (hopefully most of the composers of today have already left the idea of ears and heart hurting drastical cacophony which once used to be a synomum for "contemporary music" )
Old 12th September 2007
We seem to have settled on a name

European Classical Records

Thank you to all of you for your support and encouragement!
Old 12th September 2007
Super Moderator

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
We seem to have settled on a name

ECR
European Classical Records

Thank you to all of you for your support and encouragement!
From a branding point of view are you not concerned that it sounds so much like ECM, who would be a direct competitor?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not too convincing, IMHO...
Why not try to find a name instead of an acronym...? Something with a reference to the modern music you intend to publish, maybe...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David View Post
From a branding point of view are you not concerned that it sounds so much like ECM, who would be a direct competitor?
Second that - too close to ECM.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search