The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Starting a classical recording label
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Not too convincing, IMHO...
Why not try to find a name instead of an acronym...? Something with a reference to the modern music you intend to publish, maybe...
I agree - it's important to have a good name. I think ECR will drown in the other similar names [not only ECM] on the CD shelf. If you prefer an acronym which can be ok, consider something that can be pronounced as a name.

Old 12th September 2007
Point taken.
The acronym is not really necessary.
Edition of Contemporary Music (ECM) is pretty far from European Classical Records namewise.

The acronym will only be used for catalogue purposes and will not be featured on the front cover.

Keep up the feedback, this is a great little focus group!
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
Send me the CD.

More than half of the music scheduled to be recorded is written after 1945.
We will do a significant amount of Ingolf Dahl, a close associate of Stravinsky and an important figure in the american postwar music.

I think one of the largest problems with contemporary music is the lack of quality control.
It has not been politically correct to say a modern piece or composer
is sub par.
I will only publish well crafted contemporary music that at least one of our associates actually enjoy listening to.
For me that is about one in every 20 modern pieces I come across.
That's very exciting. I look forward to hearing your productions!
And I completely agree with you about the lack of quality control with new music (and I'm a veteran of Darmstadt, former student of one of the last living Schoenberg students, so I've heard my share of new music, much of it admittedly bad.) I don't think there's a higher ratio of bad composers today, I just think that we haven't had time to filter out the bad stuff yet. It's amazing how much inferior music was written before 1900 - it's just never played because people realized that better stuff was around.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

It is interesting to hear the talk about the quality of the music.... It reminds me of the conversations I had 10 years ago.

Back then, I was still a full-time performer (and a part time engineer- I'm a classical clarinetist). One of my projects was that I had a new music ensemble based here in LA. Eventually, it became a victim of our member's success as individual performers. It is tough to get people to play a free new music show when they can earn thousands playing for the Bilboard Music Awards (or Grammy's, etc...). I suppose that is the hazard of being in LA.

Anyways, the mission of our group was to present the best of the music that was being written now. We had a standing call for scores and we received hundreds of submissions. Of them, 90% were rejected immediately, but there were some real gems. It was a very rewarding thing to play music of composers that weren't well known but wrote really cool stuff.

The highlight of that group was the performance of a work by the Cincinatti-based composer Frank Proto called "Afro American Fragments." It was a trio for bass clarinet, cello and string bass with a narration of poems of Langston Hughes. Pretty intense stuff. To make it better, we got the late actor Paul Winfield to do the narration. That is probably one of my favorite musical memories.

--Ben
Old 17th September 2007
Ben, Carrie our producer and I were the second group to ever play the afro american fragments. Frank came down and worked with us.
I got started with orchestral recording as his assistant on a project of his in Houston.

As a matter of fact we are featuring a clarinet and orchestra piece of his featuring a very well known crossover clarinettist (cant say the name in public, but you will know who Ben - initials E.D.)
This will be our big headline release along with ingolf dahls double concerto for two clarinets and possibly the copeland

Afro is one of the best pieces I have ever played or heard, as well as one of the hardest.

It's a small world Ben!
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow... small world indeed... I believe we were actually the first group besides his to perform the piece. I had to wait for some of the parts because they were being re-engraved when we did it. Probably one of the hardest pieces to put together I've played, but well worth it artistically.

Sounds like you've got some great projects coming up. I know your performer (even worked with him a couple times)- should be in for a good time.

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search