The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007 Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Talking Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007

I got an email from PvD's office in Berlin to record his two day event at the SummerStage in Central Park August 17th & 18th, 2007.

I called in my associates and we made it so.
My crew included Kaz Noda on Tuesday; Robert Carvell (and son) on Wednesday; Thomas Bishop was on hand for both days. Gin Beck from Vinny's Music Services handled the cartage to/from CenterStage.

Made Events produced the live concert.
George Stavropoulos from Integral Sound handled the live sound needs for the event.
Markus Hollmann-Loges from Die Gestalten Verlag GmbH & Co. KG directed the video.
Paxen Films provided video production equipment and crew.

There were a lot of very helpful folks at SummerStage. Local One RAWKS!

It was a complete pleasure to work with everyone at SummerStage.
Well, almost -- only one person was a total drag and extremely difficult to work with.
Three decades later and that person is still the same hindrance. I did not expect anything different.

With that said, the awesome help we got from Made Events, the Local One crew, SummerStage staff and our wonderful client and their associates made it very tolerable.

We all really enjoyed ourselves!

Here are a few shoots of the setup...
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdstageearly.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdstageearlywide.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdstageearlycalm.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Here's a shot of the DSR point of view. Notice one of our shotgun mics in the picture?
The drums were setup DSR for the last hour of this non-stop four hour live event.
What about the disco ball? It was hung by a crane they brought in.
The second to last picture shows the SR audio splitter and sound gear.

Checkout the laser light show equipment in the last shot...
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdstagesetup.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvddrumage.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvddiscoballprep.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdstagergear.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdlasergear.jpg  

Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Here's a little FOH prospective for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdfohwide.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdfohdesk.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdfohpov.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Here's Video Village which was set up right in front of Audio World...

Notice the rain gear. On the first day, it rained cats & dogs, but the crowd still showed up 3500 people strong.

The second night attendance was at capacity -- 5400 folks.

At 50 baloons per person that's a pretty sweet carnival take.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdvideovillagerainymarkus.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdvideovillagemarkus.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I was honored to be part of this production, working with Steve for the first time. It was a great experience and I hope to have many more to come. The first day was a bit rainy. After a couple of downpours the sun came out for a while. No sooner did we utter the words, "The sun is out and it looks clear now," then it let loose again. I really don't get into dance music too much, but when it got dark and the lasers came out I forgot that I was soaked and felt giddy. Steve took better night time pictures, so I'll let him post his.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-rainy.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-lightshow.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Audio World...
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldgear.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldrecorders.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldpov.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

More Audio World shots...
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldwide.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldrearwide.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldrear.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Showtime, Showtime, Showtime!
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshowtimeaud.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshowtimeaud2.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshowtimeaud3.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Here's an audience shot during Jessica Sutta's "White Lies" performance plus a couple of stage shots durning the live music performance of the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshowtimewhitelies.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshowtimesr.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshowtimesl.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Last, but not least a few pictures of some of the folks involved.

In the remaining JPGs we have PvD during an afternoon photo shoot.

Kaz Noda & Thomas Bishop

The forth picture shows PvD’s audio EIC George Stavropoulos and (my old friend) SummerStage FOH mixer Jon Baker.

I had the chance to take a backstage photo with Jessica Sutta...
She was a real sweetheart and a totally humble and unassuming person.
It was a delight to meet and greet her.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdshoot.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldkaz.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdaudioworldthomas.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdgeorge-jon.jpg   Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdjessica-steve.jpg  

Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Thanks so much Thomas.

It was very cool having you on board, but..

What about the “Columbus Gourmet Food” establishment?
Did you have your backup ready when it was appropriate chomp again?

Based on your first gig alone I trust there will be many more dates to come.
September 4th & 5th, next week at the Blue note comes to mind.

Yeah, the first day was a bit rainy… More like torrential at times.
To bad one of my MKH416 took a hit from all that rain…
Ouch, rain water and mics don't work well together!

Thomas, do you have anymore pictures? Anything interesting and stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
I was honored to be part of this production, working with Steve for the first time. It was a great experience and I hope to have many more to come. The first day was a bit rainy. After a couple of downpours the sun came out for a while. No sooner did we utter the words, "The sun is out and it looks clear now," then it let loose again. I really don't get into dance music too much, but when it got dark and the lasers came out I forgot that I was soaked and felt giddy. Steve took better night time pictures, so I'll let him post his.
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Any questions about this gig?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

did it rain?

i went to pvd @ central park 3 times now and it rained EACH TIME

my cell phone got killed the first time lol
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
did it rain?

i went to pvd @ central park 3 times now and it rained EACH TIME

my cell phone got killed the first time lol

i remember, well one time i went didnt rain and the other time it rain right when he started, no refunds at that time so it was type of woodstocky dancing there pretty cool until we had to walk 30 block to get home and of course got sick. oh well it was fun. .
. nice that this time didnt rain and u could of recvorded everything.

so is all this for an upcoming DVD to be sold everywhere,???

? is it for a mtv video thing for his singles.???

from the looks of its very well developed and produced. i mean, drums setup?!
all like a band, last time i went it was a turntable and a laptop. not even a VJ.

good for paul, his productions are good and the type of stuff he spins rocks, non of that cheesy-lets get a melancholic melody on that jp8000 trance pad-type of ****. but more of the aggressive arpeggios.

anyone insterested, if can get all of his mixes his done for radio in LEGAL FREE MUSIC | EVERY DAY NEWEST DJ LIVE SETS,DJ MIXES and DJ RADIO SHOWS | WORLD DJ CHAMPIONSHIP.

still amazes me that him as well as tiesto charge about 60k or more per performance. nice gig eh? press play on the turntables, and play your favorite stuff continuously for 4-6 hours.
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
...Notice the rain gear. On the first day, it rained cats & dogs, but the crowd still showed up 3500 people strong...
Wow, so it rained on the first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
...The first day was a bit rainy. After a couple of downpours the sun came out for a while. No sooner did we utter the words, "The sun is out and it looks clear now," then it let loose again...
I get it, the first day was a bit rainy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
...Yeah, the first day was a bit rainy… More like torrential at times.
To bad one of my MKH416 took a hit from all that rain…
Ouch, rain water and mics don't work well together!..
Oh, the first day was more like torrential down pours at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
did it rain?

i went to pvd @ central park 3 times now and it rained EACH TIME...
Ahhh, yes it did. It did indeed rain.
Old 31st August 2007
Super Moderator

I'm not sure why you folks think it didn't rain?

In any event, this year was a two day concert event and we recorded the two (rainy and dry) shows.

Yes, this will be for an upcoming DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
i remember, well one time i went didnt rain and the other time it rain right when he started, no refunds at that time so it was type of woodstocky dancing there pretty cool until we had to walk 30 block to get home and of course got sick. oh well it was fun. .
. nice that this time didnt rain and u could of recvorded everything.

so is all this for an upcoming DVD to be sold everywhere,???

? is it for a mtv video thing for his singles.???

from the looks of its very well developed and produced. i mean, drums setup?!
all like a band, last time i went it was a turntable and a laptop. not even a VJ.

good for paul, his productions are good and the type of stuff he spins rocks, non of that cheesy-lets get a melancholic melody on that jp8000 trance pad-type of ****. but more of the aggressive arpeggios.

anyone insterested, if can get all of his mixes his done for radio in LEGAL FREE MUSIC | EVERY DAY NEWEST DJ LIVE SETS,DJ MIXES and DJ RADIO SHOWS | WORLD DJ CHAMPIONSHIP.

still amazes me that him as well as tiesto charge about 60k or more per performance. nice gig eh? press play on the turntables, and play your favorite stuff continuously for 4-6 hours.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Any questions about this gig?
Steve, please tell us something more about the setup
looks like a rally small setup for such large mixing desk

thanks a lot

oh, and by the way...did it rain?????
Old 3rd September 2007
Super Moderator

Wolfgang,

The set-up was pretty small considering that PvD pretty much mixes the show from his little sMackie mixer on stage.

Besides the stereo feed I got from Paul, I asked George (Paul’s audio guy) If I can also get feeds from the on stage drums and Keys mixers.

FYI, each musician had their own sMackie mixer on stage which fed Paul and myself their 2mix. I took the auxilary buss outputs so I could get the drums and keys separately from their IEM mixes.

Believe it or not, I was tracking three stereo feeds from the stage plus five solo vocal mics which consisted of three RF HHs and two backup HW HHs.
The remaining inputs included a stereo (Backup) FOH mix and 8 audience mics

The input list was as follows…

Tracks .Description
1 .Paul mix left.............. Active DI
2 .Paul mix right.......... . Active DI
3 .Drum mix left.......... . Active DI
4 .Drum mix right........ . Active DI
5 .Keys mix left........... . Active DI
6 .Keys mix right......... . Active DI
7 .FOH mix left............ . Active DI
8 .FOH mix right.......... . Active DI
9 .Audience HL............ .Front MHK416
10 .Audience HLC........ .Front MHK416
11 .Audience HRC........ .Front MHK416
12 .Audience HR.......... .Front MHK416
13 .Audience HL.......... .Rear TLM103
14 .Audience HR.......... .Rear TLM103
15 .Audience HL.......... .Outer Rear MHK416
16 .Audience HR.......... .Outer Rear MHK416
17 .RF HH 1................ . SHURE WIRELESS
18 .RF HH 2................ . A/T WIRELESS
19 .RF HH 3................ . A/T WIRELESS
20 .HW HH 1.............. . SM58
21 .HW HH 2.............. . SM58
22 .CLICK................... . Active DI
23 . . .
24 . . .

The FOH ATI Paragon desk was SummerStage standard console.

Oh, and what about the rain? I have no idea…

I don’t remember if it rained or not, but I had a few very wet audience mics to deal with which one was completely destroyed.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Backup system

Hi there Steve,
What was the Backup system for this Recording? I can see you had there 2 HD24's..
Could be 24 channels of 96khz or 2 different systems as well.

Best regards, Noam.
Old 3rd September 2007
Super Moderator

Hey Noam,

Normally I would have to different systems, but the client asked for two HD24XRs.
They worked flawlessly and we were indeed very happy about that.
The machines were running at 48K.
Old 3rd September 2007
LX3
Lives for gear

As usual, great thread, great pics.

One question... what is the situation re. your wiped-out MKH? Are you insured for this kind of damage, is it billed to the client (not really their fault) or do you just take the hit?

On most of my gigs, I can't afford to lose a couple of mic cables or a shockmount, let alone an expensive mic!

Paul
Old 5th September 2007
Super Moderator

Paul,

Yeah, one of my MKH416 went capput due to the rain pouring into the mic while it was working...

We're insured for this kind of damage, but the price of the repair or replacement is under our deductable, so I'm not calling it in.

I could have billed the client, but I didn't feel comfortable with that since (like you stated) it wasn't their fault and it was an act of "god" so to speak.

It would be a different story if it was stollen or damaged by someone (crew / audience) at the gig. As we know, that wasn't the case.

I decided to take the hit, because of the above reasons, plus believe it or not, this was the first problem I had with any of our MKH416 shotguns in decades... 30 plus years and they never walked or have been damaged enough for a serious repair.

In the end, I looked at it as the price of doing business. And, IMO, I got the better end of that deal.

Listen, don't get me wrong, loosing cables, adaptors, let alone an expensive mic is a problem, but we have to deal with it. The odds were in my favor for many years now.

We have quite a few shotguns, not just MKH416s and this is the first repair in a very long time, so it's not too bad.

One of my M160s took a hit last night at the Blue Note... It sounded nasty.
It has to get fixed and that is that.

If I don't look at it this way, I'll go nuts about it.
Old 6th September 2007
LX3
Lives for gear

I understand what you're saying about the "cost of doing business". It's a judgement call, and maintaining relations with the client is a priority for me. One thing's for sure, knowing how awkward it's going to be to get the anyone to cough up for damage to a mic certainly makes me take care of my kit.

I guess I've been lucky - in the relatively short time I've been doing this, nothing's ever walked or been damaged badly. Only so much you can do though. Recently, I did have one band decide to trash the stage after their encore, and my overheads bore the brunt of their exuberance (had the longest trip to the ground)... amazingly, despite my 414s winding up on the floor, they still worked perfectly, not a scratch on them. Maybe because the shockmounts took most of the impact.

Considering each mic alone was worth more than I was getting for the entire gig, that was a bullet dodged!

Sorry, getting off-topic.
Old 6th September 2007
Super Moderator

You're right, it is a judgment call.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would have billed the client or promoter if that mic walked or got trashed by someone or something that was part of the production.

For me, just like you, maintaining relations with the client is a priority.
It's all about respect. Giving it and getting it back -- it's a two way street.

Hey, this isn't off-topic. In any event, I like that there's some dialog on this thread.
Old 9th September 2007
Super Moderator

Yeah, we're an audio and sound forum, but we may have a few lighting folks hanging around...

Here's a shot of the lighting desk at FOH...

What a sweet lil' package it is.

Attached Thumbnails
Paul van Dyk -- SummerStage -- Made in Central Park 2007-pvdlightingcontrol.jpg  
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

That pic actually is absolutely fine in an audio forum. thumbsup

It shows a slutty mic, and accidentally there was some lighting stuff next to it
Old 9th September 2007
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
That pic actually is absolutely fine in an audio forum. thumbsup

It shows a slutty mic, and accidentally there was some lighting stuff next to it

Oh man, that is so funny.

Thank you for the laugh!
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

Looks really nice.

I'm starting uni in 2 weeks and have got in early with the Students Union and am now on the crew there. Even though I'm an audio guy mainly, the lights have been really fun so far and its interesting to draw technical and practical comparisons with the way they work compared to audio. Opposite polarity on DMX cables being the first thing I noticed.

Simon
Old 10th September 2007
Super Moderator

Very cool Simon,

Remember, we "Hold" for Lighting and "Wait" for Audio!
Once we understand that dynamic, the production can move on. heh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search