The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

acoustic duo - spot mics or stereo pair? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Talking acoustic duo - spot mics or stereo pair?

doing some audition recordings for a variety of instruments - mostly piano and violin, piano and flute, etc. in the past, i have always miced each instrument separately, with a single mic about 3 feet out from the soloist, and a stereo pair on the piano. lately, however, i have experiemented with just using a ORTF pair about 6 feet out from the duo like you might do on stage. as those of you who do this kind of stuff know, there are benefits and drawbacks to each approach. the close mics give a clean open studio kind of feel but can lack a certain cohesiveness between the players. the ORTF pair gives a much more cohesive sound, but at the expense of extraneous room noise, and is not as clean sounding.

that said, how would YOU do this kind of recording? thanks.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

i have more then 2 inputs so i would do ortf and spot mics.

K
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd try to do both...If you can get the 'whole' and then support it with some spot mics then you have the best of both worlds.

J
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

yeah, if you've got 4 inputs you could do a stereo pair and one spot on soloist, one spot on piano. i wouldn't think you'd have to use a stereo spot on the piano, if you're getting your main imaging from the main pair.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Depends on the players and the music style.

If I'm working with a bluegrass band that knows what they are doing, sometimes i'll do the single large diapragm mic thing and they step up for solos. Doesn't leave for a lot of control, but captures something about the band that you don't get with spot miking.

They have to be good, and it's rare that I work with good bands.

I agree with the other posts - spot mic and stereo pair. It will give you options. Sometimes in a good room with good players you can get a really nice stereo image from a stereo pair - something it's hard to duplicate with a mix.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search