The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Schoeps Problem Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2007
Schoeps Problem

Hey...

I have a Schoeps CMC4--U with the Cut 1 and MK 4 capsule. Everything has been great with it until yesterday. It died in the middle of a shoot. I can't figure it out. We had been shooting all day with no problems until (of course) the last shot.

Have any of you ever had a problem like this with a Schoeps? All connections are fine, we've tried multiple cables, channels on the mixer, etc.

Thanks.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

I've had Schoeps' cut out due to excessive humidity. Could you give some more details regarding the conditions under which you were shooting?
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Muir View Post
I've had Schoeps' cut out due to excessive humidity. Could you give some more details regarding the conditions under which you were shooting?

It was in a large green screen studio with good air conditioning and ventilation. It wasn't hot or humid. I've used it many times in hot/humid conditions with no problems. It's very weird.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

That is weird. Has the mic worked since then? Do other mics work with that same cable/power-supply/mixer chain?
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Muir View Post
That is weird. Has the mic worked since then? Do other mics work with that same cable/power-supply/mixer chain?
No, it still doesn't work. I can't figure out what the deal is. I've tried other mics with the same set up and they're fine. In fact, during the shoot we had to switch to a working mic to finish.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S. View Post
No, it still doesn't work. I can't figure out what the deal is. I've tried other mics with the same set up and they're fine. In fact, during the shoot we had to switch to a working mic to finish.
Have you swapped out capsule and head preamp modules? Tried other PSUs? My guess would be that your head preamp went south.

Philip Perkins
Old 4th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Have you swapped out capsule and head preamp modules? Tried other PSUs? My guess would be that your head preamp went south.

Philip Perkins
No we haven't. We're actually trying to find a good repair/service shop. Can anyone recommend one?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S. View Post
No we haven't. We're actually trying to find a good repair/service shop. Can anyone recommend one?
Well, you might want to try this so you can send in only the offending piece, while still having use of the rest. Then contact these people: Redding Audio. They do some repairs themselves, but most work on Schoeps mics takes place at the factory in Germany. Redding sends batches of Schoeps mics there every few weeks. This service worked well for me.

Philip Perkins
Old 4th September 2007
Gotcha. Thanks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search