The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Four tracks - two discrete recorders Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Question Four tracks - two discrete recorders

Hi - totally newbie question here. Hopefully I will not forget the answer. ;o) Can I record two tracks from a pair of ORTF or DIN arrayed mics and also record ambiance on a Jecklin disc onto another discrete recorder and combine the ambiance tracks with the ORTF/DIN in some sort of DAW without going mad? I use SAM8 for my editing, and am on a hobbyist budget, reasonably able on a computer. I was a systems-analyst in another life. This is all new to me and a lot of fun, so far. To play around I have a pair of Schoeps CMC 64's into an SD 722. For ambiance I would be using an old Soundman II set of omni's on the Jecklin into a SONY Hi-MD as a PCM track. Not world class hardware, but I am learning. I try to crawl before I walk.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. Love this board.

Cheers
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

It can be done, but probably not with the MD in the loop.

Combining the tracks in a computer program is easy. The problem is that no two pieces of equipment runs at exactly the same sample frequency. One of the recorders will have slightly longer interval between samples than the other. This means that the two recordings will over time slip towards each other once they are combined in the computer. This will be heard when the two parts are combined.

There are ways to compensate for this in some computer programs and it might work to satisfaction, again it might not work as the ratio between the recorders is bound to change slightly over time.

The preferred way to get the two recorders to run in perfect synchronization is to to use word clock connections. The 722 has this but the MD does not so no help there.

Regardless, as always I might add, go ahead and try it.

Gunnar

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search