The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Rooms mics for rehearsals Condenser Microphones
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Question Rooms mics for rehearsals

I'm not sure if this is a remote question or not, but I think the reinforcement people would have a good answer...

I have a rehearsal studio and I'm trying to offer a simple stereo recording of the bands as they practice. Ideally, I would like to have two mics fixed in the room that would capture the whole room clearly; this would save me time vs. having to mic everything up and catch the stereo feed off of the mixer. I may not be able to take the time to do that for everyone that wants it, so I need a simpler solution. Can anyone recommend a suitable PZM or omni-mic that could do the job? I've looked at Crown PZMs, and boundary mics, but I'd like a little more input before I buy and try. Thanks!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Naiant Studio - Home of the MSH Microphone!
Hang them from the ceiling or fix them with a mount or something. They will work really well and you can't beat the price.
Old 29th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Avenson STO-2.

They sound like where you're standing.

War
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like Warren's suggestion. PZM's tend to sound thin (zero bottom end) and lifeless, I much prefer a good pair of condenser mics and a comp/limiter on the stereo feed. if your rehearsal room is less than stellar, get CLOSE with the omni pair, or skip the omnis altogether and go cardioid. Suspend an X/Y or ORTF pair from the ceiling and you're done.

JvB
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Good suggestions... thank you. I think I'll try out a couple of condensers; it's not like I'm in a large space anyways.
Old 29th December 2012
If you want a boundary mic, you can just put any true omni (non-switchable) against the boundary. Helps if it's a side-address mic, but doesn't have to be. Omni is usually pretty omni, against a hard boundary you still basically pick up a hemisphere with the capsule sideways with a front-address mic lying on its side parallel to the boundary.
Old 29th December 2012
Why do you seek a pair of omnis? Is this a big, treated, good sounding room? Most rehearsal studios i've been in do not meet these requirements. All a pair of omnis is going to give you in a less than stellar room is substantial bass resonance problems and perhaps some interesting early reflection interference. Put up a 2.5" spaced pair of Rode nt5, Shure ksm137, or Line Audio cm3 and call it a day.
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Guru

I have a pair of Crown PZM 30s that I like for this purpose. If you stick them to the wall you get pretty much everyone.

It's not a pretty sound, but it is a useful sound in the sense that you can listen to the playback and hear precisely how your rehearsal went down. It's very clean and clear. Good for educational 'study' purposes - which is why I record the rehearsals in the first place.

The issue for rehearsals for me is that people often set up in a circle or in weird ways, so aiming just two cardioids often gets too much of one player and not enough of another.

If your rehearsal room is set up like a "stage" a normal stereo pair will probably make equal sense.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Yup, totally agree with PZM's; I've set up a few rooms like this and it works perfectly.

Cheers
Mickey

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search