The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Folding / rack LCD displays Headphone Amps
Old 27th August 2007
Question Folding / rack LCD displays

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a serious mobile recording computer, I've got years of experience doing the laptop + firewire interface thing, also with mackie and alesis HDR's. I am going to go with a PCI solution in a 1u server chassis. My question is - has anyone used rack mountable folding lcd/keyboard solution and/or rack servers. Am I better off throwing it in a magma chassis with a dedicated HD and using a laptop? Ergonomics, convenience, and durability are the main issues at hand here.

Cheers,

LS
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

You're going to fit a computer into 1 rack space? Let me know how because I'm looking to build a new computer as well. My desktop just crashed so I'm thinking of finally doing the rackmount thing.

As far as LCD's go, It might be better to just put it in a case. It's not very fast or convenient, but it's the safest and easiest solution. AV companies send out their LCD's in ATA cases, one or two to a case, so it has to be able to take some abuse. You could design a case that would hold an LCD, keyboard, mouse, external drives, etc. That could be slick.
Old 27th August 2007
Super Moderator

You could install your LCD in the roadcase lid -- it has been done with great success.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

or use a rack case that's made for outboard gear w/ a slant top mixer section at the top... use a wall mount for the lcd bolted to a rack shelf in the top section where the mixer is supposed to go, and a roll out shelf right underneath it with your keyboard...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
You could install your LCD in the roadcase lid -- it has been done with great success.
Here's mine: This picture is several years old, but the case is still in use (although a bit beat up)

I'd go with a small form factor computer (ie shuttle) with a magma chassis for serious computing. Modify the Magma Chassis to quiet the fans.

--Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Folding / rack LCD displays-img_0153.jpg  
Old 28th August 2007
The LCD in the rack top is an obvious and perfect solution! thanks guys. Re: the guy who asked about 1u computers, just type 1u server into any search engine - they're usually very deep and noisy though - would need some mods.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Here's mine: This picture is several years old, but the case is still in use (although a bit beat up)

I'd go with a small form factor computer (ie shuttle) with a magma chassis for serious computing. Modify the Magma Chassis to quiet the fans.

--Ben
what model case is that? is it originally 2-piece?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Had it custom built by Encore Cases in North Hollywood... Basically, it is 19 inches wide (roughly) so it fits in the rest of the pack of my gear. There is a 15 inch LCD in there.

The case itself looks like one of those ATA briefcases. When you open it up, there is a little platform, under which is storage for a small keyboard and mouse. The LCD is screwed into the lid using its VESA mount. I think it cost me abouat $150 or $200 to make. We've made a bunch of them for the remote systems that SequoiaDigital sells.

If you call Encore Cases, they should still have the plans on file. I had it designed and SequoiaDigital (Soundworks) has purchased most of them...

--Ben
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was gonna put a server LCD monitor and keyboard in my mobile rack, but they cost around $1k on average and are really heavy. My rig is already like 350lbs. There are other server screens that you can use - the flat one is bomb, but I couldn't find anything larger than 13".
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

awesome ill write that down. trying to come up with something similar here to convert a pathfinder into a mobile rig. as of now i have a ****ing 10 space cube that i have to carry up & down stairs.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

I looked at getting the Apple 1-space Xserve for a mobile Pro Tools rig, but found that it was too deep for the rack I wanted to use. It's 30 inches deep!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
I looked at getting the Apple 1-space Xserve for a mobile Pro Tools rig, but found that it was too deep for the rack I wanted to use. It's 30 inches deep!
and supernoisy...
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
and supernoisy...
That's going to be true for almost all 1&2ru machines, some of the 3ru are big enough that you could at least swap the fans.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

i never see any of you guys use liquid cooling and peltiers. those are pretty quiet.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

I'm not a big fan of the "small form factor" SFF cases anymore.

I originally got one for DAW use...and while it's small...in the end it's not THAT much smaller than what you can do with a "normal" computer. Not only that...but with all the cramped space in there....it runs hotter...and swapping out pieces of computer equipment can become a real pain.
I ended up just using my HD24XR for my multitrack recording...

I just hooked up a digiface to my laptop. Everything works good...so I'm thinking of housing the laptop in a briefcase of some sort. Have everything hooked up...so all I would need to do is open up the case...plug in to some power, make the digi connections...take the laptop out of hibernate and I'll be good to go...fast, easy, and truly small(er).
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

here are the plans of my new rig. The case is in the mail. I had Jan-Al build it. It holds a g5 horizontally on the bottom and my monitor in the lid with my control surface under it. Can't wait for it to show up so I can put it together.

Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Check these out... I can vouch for the quality of these monitors.

Rack-Mounted 17" LCD A/V Monitor with Integrated Audio

A bit pricey, but way professional looking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search