The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert Condenser Microphones
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

Talking Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert

So, I was on a live teleproduction in Cleveland, OH and I got a call from a friend and associate to see if we can provide a mobile unit, live audio mix and crew for Korn at the South Street Seaport. We made it so...

67 channels (and counting) from the stage with no soundcheck and a live uplink streaming on Myspace.com.

The ASL crew included Jon D'Uva, Randy Taber and myself.
Jon was in the truck; Randy handled the "stage; I twisted the knobs.

AMV brought in "Stubby" for the teleproduction and lil' ol' Jethro for the music audio mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornsetupmore.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornsetup.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornaslcrew.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornjethro-stubby.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornstubby-jethro.jpg  

Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

I heard myspace.com got one million hits during this live event.

...It took down the website.

Here's a picture of the uplink truck, MON and FOH positions.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornuplinktruck.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornmonworld.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornfohworld.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

The splits at MON world.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornmonsplits.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornsplitterworld.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

A little stage left action...

GTR world and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrworldsl.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrworldslfix.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornstagel.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

Stage Right GTR World and stomp boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrworldsr.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornstager.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrstompboxessr.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

Korn had a couple of guitar cabinet isolation (road) cases.
I've seen ISO GTR CAB road cases before and I really like the amount of air you got to move around in these puppies.

The Beta56 was for their IEM only.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrisocasewide.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrisocase.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korngtrisoinside.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

hey Steve!

great to see this- my wife was the AD in the truck, and when I asked her who was doing audio she said it went by so quickly, she had NO IDEA.

Glad to know it was YOU!
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

What about the drums?

Twenty-seven input channels from the stage on this rig!
Drum mics; trigger's; and pads rounded up the count.
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korndrums-percussion.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korndrums.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

Keyboard Village...
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornkeys.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornkeysmore.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

Now, for some more FOH audio plus two of the multiple cameras.

Hey, is that Rambogunpat on the center camera?
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornfohcrew.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornfohrear.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornfohcamera.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornfohjib.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-kornfohjib2.jpg  

Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

We cannot forget the audience.

It's estimated that roughly ten thousand fans showed up to this free concert event which was presented by J&R Music World.

Believe it or not, some of the fans were there by four AM waiting for the evening concert. We got there at 8AM.

I was originally going to take place at City Hall Park, but was moved (last minute) to the South Street Seaport due to the size of the expected crowd.

Check out the view from my position in the control cabin in the forth shot.

Awesome!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korncrowdearly.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korncrowd.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korncrowdmore.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korncrowdmonitor.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
hey Steve!

great to see this- my wife was the AD in the truck, and when I asked her who was doing audio she said it went by so quickly, she had NO IDEA.

Glad to know it was YOU!
Oh wow, I wish I knew she was there. I would have loved to have said, hello.

It did go quick - we were there for thirteen hours, but between the park; power; ESU; showtime and breakdown it was all over in a flash.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Was there no active stagebox (splitter)? Or am I just missing something in the pics.
Old 27th August 2007
Super Moderator

Since Korn was providing us with a non-isolated passive split we installed passive isolation transformers before our active splitter as a way to isolate ourselves from ther rig.

It was patched in between their (Clair Bros.) third (wye) output and our XTA (active splitter system) input. We had two of our XTA splitters, a 48 and a 24 channel system for a total of 72 available inputs.

The pictures show the rear of the splitters -- the very visual XTA front panels are not visable.
Old 27th August 2007
Super Moderator

Did anyone checkout this online show?

Although my client, the band's manager and other folks were happy with the mix, I wasn't to pleased since we didn't get a sound check...

The band didn't want to sound check in front of the audience which was huge... You cannot blame them for that mindset.

It took me about three tunes to get it where is should have been if we had a sound check.

The band had a lot of things going on and it took time to place them in the right space.
IMO, a live broadcast is not the right time to make those decisions, but sometimes we do not have a choice.

With that said, the last three or four tunes sounded okay to me...

A good starting point, then the show was over and everything was everything.

The next day Jon and I got on a plane for a gig in Dallas, TX and our Korn show was already history.
No remix; no clean ups; just a live 2mix...

And, that's how it goes sometimes I'm afraid.

You know what I'm saying?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Since Korn was providing us with a non-isolated passive split we installed passive isolation transformers before our active splitter as a way to isolate ourselves from ther rig.

It was patched in between their (Clair Bros.) third (wye) output and our XTA (active splitter system) input. We had two of our XTA splitters, a 48 and a 24 channel system for a total of 72 available inputs.

The pictures show the rear of the splitters -- the very visual XTA front panels are not visable.
So were the mics split passively threeways (mon, foh and you)??
I'm just curious.. I personally prefer the PA company to provide an active split, but ofcourse you have to arrange this with the pa company in a somewhat early stage, which, with tv production companies making all their decisions last minute, often isn't possible I find.. And ofcourse someone has to pay for the active splitter.
How many outputs does your active splitter have? Do you often use it to split the mics and send em to yourself and pa? how do the pa guys usually feel about this?

Thanks,
Huub
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did anyone checkout this online show?

Although my client, the band's manager and other folks were happy with the mix, I wasn't to pleased since we didn't get a sound check...

The band didn't want to sound check in front of the audience which was huge... You cannot blame them for that mindset.

It took me about three tunes to get it where is should have been if we had a sound check.

The band had a lot of things going on and it took time to place them in the right space.
IMO, a live broadcast is not the right time to make those decisions, but sometimes we do not have a choice.

With that said, the last three or four tunes sounded okay to me...

A good starting point, then the show was over and everything was everything.

The next day Jon and I got on a plane for a gig in Dallas, TX and our Korn show was already history.
No remix; no clean ups; just a live 2mix...

And, that's how it goes sometimes I'm afraid.

You know what I'm saying?
Yeah, when Korn did the rock am ring festival in germany, the music mixer( tim summerhayes) asked me to just use the pa L/R and my own ambi (I was in the tv truck) until he felt comfortable with his own mix, took him about two or three songs, they have like 20 percussion tracks or something?.. PA mix wasn't bad at all though..
Old 27th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
So were the mics split passively threeways (mon, foh and you)??
I'm just curious.. I personally prefer the PA company to provide an active split, but ofcourse you have to arrange this with the pa company in a somewhat early stage, which, with tv production companies making all their decisions last minute, often isn't possible I find.. And ofcourse someone has to pay for the active splitter.
How many outputs does your active splitter have? Do you often use it to split the mics and send em to yourself and pa? how do the pa guys usually feel about this?

Thanks,
Huub
Yes, the mics were passively split three ways.
We usually do the splitting whether it's active or passive.
In this case the band's techs wanted to do it their way which was giving us a non-isolated split. We tried to talk them out of it, but...

We always provide an isolated split, whether we need to or not...
It's just how we do it at Aura Sonic. And, we always work it out ahead of time.

IMO major TV folks usually have their act together, but last mi ute stuff really screws things for everyone.

Man, we have hundreds (334 and counting) of channels of splits... ASL's Portable Remote Recording Inventory
Old 28th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Yeah, when Korn did the rock am ring festival in germany, the music mixer( tim summerhayes) asked me to just use the pa L/R and my own ambi (I was in the tv truck) until he felt comfortable with his own mix, took him about two or three songs, they have like 20 percussion tracks or something?.. PA mix wasn't bad at all though..
Yeah, but I bet you had a sound check. heh
Old 15th November 2007
Super Moderator

Hey, I found these images online for anyone that's interested...

Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343034.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343035.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343036.jpg  
Old 15th November 2007
Super Moderator

And a few of Jonathan during this performance...

Attached Thumbnails
Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343037.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343038.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343048.jpg   Korn -- South Street Seaport Live Concert-korn1343057.jpg  
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Splitting

Hey Steve,
Didnt quite understood the splitting for this gig-
There was 3 Passive splitters supplied by the Gig's crew-1. for FOH 2. for Stage 3. for Broadcast/recording.

Then you guys (ASL) connected Transformers and XTA active system?
If thats the case, why is the need for transformers? There's an Isolated output from the XTA system as well, Right?

Best regards, Noam.
Old 16th November 2007
Super Moderator

Lightbulb We need XFMRs in between their system and our truck.

Hey Noam,

Korn was travelling with a Clair Brothers non isolated three way splitter system.
Yes, the three wye splits went to FOH, MON and our sound truck.

We (ASL) connected isolation XFMRs before the input to our XTA active splitter system since our XTAs do not have transformers on the input side.

It's true the XTA system does have two XFMR isolated outputs along with the two non isolated outputs, but we were not splitting to anyone.

We still needed to be isolated from the live sound rig and backline so, that is way we patched our XFMRs inline before the XTA inputs.

This happens a lot when we're taking a non isolated split from the sound company.
Where we're going active or passive we always want to have a XFMRs in between the live sound system and us.
Some sound companies may have an isolated wye available for us to use; in those cases we just patch it in normally.

I hope this helped!
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Korn had a couple of guitar cabinet isolation .
that's pretty cool
what is the advantage to doing this?
Old 16th November 2007
Super Moderator

The cabs are not blasting into the mics and the FOH engineer can mix the show without dealing with extremely loud stage volumes in the direction of the audience.

Furthermore you have complete isolation with a system like that.
You can be blasting away without affecting the other instruments of balance of the mix.

many bands of all styles of music do this kind of thing.

Wynonna had a leslie cabinet completely isolated.
Rod Stewart had their GTR cabs iso'd.
Any others have done the same.

If you have the budget it's a great way to deal with leakage and such.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search