The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

New Sennheiser MKH8000 Series Mics Condenser Microphones
Old 18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAfishwater View Post
Ehh... It's impossible to judge anything from a recording like this, but thanks for posting - every example of how this series of microphones performs is very welcome! [the audience sounds fine]

Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

I shall have a pair of 8040 here next week for testing, so I may give some report and maybe also post some samples ...
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I shall have a pair of 8040 here next week for testing, so I may give some report and maybe also post some samples ...
Wonderful Ivo

[a pity you don't have access to 8020]

Best,
Mads
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Wonderful Ivo

[a pity you don't have access to 8020]

Best,
Mads
Unfortunately. I would be much more interested in omni
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

In my opinion, the Senn. 8000 series is a genuine alternative to other high end condensers in many instances. Certainly the price is right at around $ 1000.00 per mic.
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately. I would be much more interested in omni
I know - me to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
In my opinion, the Senn. 8000 series is a genuine alternative to other high end condensers in many instances. Certainly the price is right at around $ 1000.00 per mic.
Plush -

One more question [hope it's ok] You have recommended Shure KSM 137/141 elsewhere. Other comments on these in some reviews I've read, has been that they had a somewhat 'boxy' sound.
I know it's a different league, but have you tried to compare the KSM sdc's directly with MKH's, and if so, what were your observations.

Regards,
Mads
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

for mljung

Greetings JUng,

Yes, I have used and reported here on the Senn. 8020 omni mics.
They are an incredible mic.
Please do a search here.

I won't compare the Shure mics to the Sennheiser mics because that is not a fair comparison. One mic costs $300 and the other costs $ 1000.00. Both are good mics and the Senn. offer a more elegant sound.

The Shure KSM137 and KSM141 are Shure's copies of the Schoeps CMC64 and the
CMC65. They have a wonderful sound and are very lively and snappy in quickly responding to transients. (2.5 micron capsule)

I don't think that they could ever be described as boxy because that description is a description of a room, not a microphone. They are very neutral and affordable.
Endorsed!
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Greetings JUng,

Yes, I have used and reported here on the Senn. 8020 omni mics.
They are an incredible mic.
Please do a search here.
Sorry Plush, my head was under my arm when I wrote this.
I suddenly confused your posts with fifthcircles piano samples, don't no what came over me.
I have read your posts with great pleasure thumbsup

Thanks for your notes on the KSM as well - much appreciated,

Best,
Mads
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you get them Ivo - have you tried them yet..?
Old 8th February 2008
Gear Nut

Dear Plush,

I know it's an odd comparison, but if you had to choose between a pair of 8040 or Mk2 for small ensemble recording, what would it be, given a perfect room. I have a pair of CMC5/2, but wonder if the 8040 would offer more flexability without any loss of sound quality.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you get them Ivo - have you tried them yet..?
Not yet, some external complications happened. BTW your avatar looks quite scary and not very friendly every time ...
Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not yet, some external complications happened. BTW your avatar looks quite scary and not very friendly every time ...
An unfriendly looking character isn't necessarily unfriendly.

My avatar is a detail from one of my DreamTeam images. Besides my work with sound and music, I'm a visual artist as well.
I have attached the full image [and a partner] - Full size is 206x100 cm [human size] and there is five in all. The series is in short about difference and the ability to be part of a social structures.
It was part of a big exhibition at FotoFest in Houston, USA in Jan 07

I'm looking forward to hear more about your experience with the new MKH..!

Friendly regards,

Mads
Attached Thumbnails
New Sennheiser MKH8000 Series Mics-dt-ii-5_2007web.jpg   New Sennheiser MKH8000 Series Mics-dt-ii-2_2007web.jpg  
Old 8th February 2008
Gear Addict

Actually, they look a bit like some of the characters from "Robot Chicken" - and that's not a bad thing!

I know this is thread on the Senn 8000 series. However:

I'd like to second Plush's opinion on the KSM137. On his recommendation I bought a pair (I now have third). I also have a pair of CMC6MK2S. They are very similar in character, the Schoeps being smoother and having more "reach" (yes, I know it's an omni). The Shure does not exhibit a "boxey" sound at all - it is fast, smooth, a touch bright, and very quiet. The Shure is, as Plush stated, for the money an EXCELLENT microphone.

I did have a chance to see the Senn 8000 series at NAMM 2008. Sennheiser had them in a glass case (no touch, no feel!). My impression was that they were beautifully made microphones. Ben's picture of them on the stereo bar (earlier in the thread) shows just how compact they are. Impressive!
Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
I'd like to second Plush's opinion on the KSM137. On his recommendation I bought a pair (I now have third). I also have a pair of CMC6MK2S. They are very similar in character, the Schoeps being smoother and having more "reach" (yes, I know it's an omni). The Shure does not exhibit a "boxey" sound at all - it is fast, smooth, a touch bright, and very quiet. The Shure is, as Plush stated, for the money an EXCELLENT microphone.
Thanks for the comment!

The "Boxy" thing was from both a Warren Dent review in Mojo Pie of KSM137 and Electronic Musician by Richard Alan Saltz of KSM141. Both also tells that they're slow microphones, but both reviews was from 2003, where microphones with glassy highs, maybe still were the fashion...

Now the opposite [Ribbons] are the fashion
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
Dear Plush,

I know it's an odd comparison, but if you had to choose between a pair of 8040 or Mk2 for small ensemble recording, what would it be, given a perfect room. I have a pair of CMC5/2, but wonder if the 8040 would offer more flexability without any loss of sound quality.

Cheers,

Dave
Greetings, Dave--

Well here you are asking (maybe inadvertently) about comparing an omni and a cardioid mic. MK 2 is all all around fantastic omni made for close in use. That would mean as a spot on piano, percussion, guitar or overhead on an orchestra section.

8040 is a cardioid, 8020 an omni. The 8020 is a very well designed omni that is different sounding from any other omni I have used. It is imparting what I call a "golden halo" effect to the sound pick-up.
The Sennheiser MKH8020 omni is endorsed here.

Certainly the idiotic and greedy 35% price increase on Schoeps in the US, puts their omnis (at $ 1800.00) at a great disadvantage to the Sennheiser which can be had for $ 1000.00 each.

Why did the US distributor of Schoeps raise the price 35% on mics and only 10% on accessories? The dollar has declined 12% against the Euro since the last US price increase.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the comment!

The "Boxy" thing was from both a Warren Dent review in Mojo Pie of KSM137 and Electronic Musician by Richard Alan Saltz of KSM141. Both also tells that they're slow microphones, but both reviews was from 2003, where microphones with glassy highs, maybe still were the fashion...

Now the opposite [Ribbons] are the fashion
To my mind, "boxy" is a term used to describe what a room does to the recorded sound, not a term for a microphone. A microphone does not sound boxy, it only picks up (accurately) the sound in a boxy room.

YOu all are forgetting one thing: a neutral microphone does not make the sound. The source makes the sound.

A room could sound boxy because it could be a square. Often boxy is meant to mean the same thing as "the small room sound."

So this description is inaccurate certainly as it applies to the Shure KSM 137!
That's for sure!
The KSM 137 is a fantastic neutral mic that has one of the thinnest and most modern diaphragms currently being made. It is made in the Chicago area, not made in China.
Its quality control is first rate as one might expect from a company that cares about the products they put out.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Well, I've been using my 8040's all over the place for the past month or so. So far, it has been the mic of choice on a LOT of my work- replacing Schoeps, AKG and many other mics.

Did an orchestra recently- the 8040 gave an impact to the sound that I just don't get with DPA or Schoeps. Big and open and beautiful. Paired with DPA 4006 on the flanks and went through Vac Rac preamps. An AWESOME sound.

Done a number of chamber things with it- they shine on strings, solo, string quartets, etc... Replaced the schoeps as the "go to" ORTF pair. Doesn't matter which pre I use (Grace, Vac Rac, API, etc...). Sounds all kinds of beautiful.

Just used them on an operatic session I did a week ago or so over at Capitol Records here in LA. Had access to their full mic collection- the final candidates were their vintage AKG C24 and the 8040s. The 8040's smoked the C24 on this guy's voice. Wasn't even close. AKG had that bright sheen to the sound, but the 8040 had depth and musicality that matched his voice perfectly. Wasn't even close...

The 8040 is by far the best recent purchase I've made.

--Ben
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
To my mind, "boxy" is a term used to describe what a room does to the recorded sound, not a term for a microphone. A microphone does not sound boxy, it only picks up (accurately) the sound in a boxy room.

YOu all are forgetting one thing: a neutral microphone does not make the sound. The source makes the sound.

A room could sound boxy because it could be a square. Often boxy is meant to mean the same thing as "the small room sound."

Plush,

I brought the boxy phrase up again as an answer to mrsteaks; I wanted to mention who I got the phrase from.

I am totally aware of your opinion of the boxy term. And I agree that boxy is a room phrase, but I have heard microphones with limited frequency response that had, what one could refer to as making a voice or instrument sound somewhat, well boxy.

It's quite obvious for me now, that the KSM131/141 are fine microphones that have a neutral response.

[Still wonder if the KSM141 omni-pattern is comparable to Schoeps or other fine omni microphones..?]

Back to the MKH:

I'm still tempted about the 8020 - the description you give Plush indicates a 'sweeter than life' sound, "the golden halo" - and though this may be an advantage in many recording situations, this could be a limitation as well. But overall it seems to be a wonderful supplement to other good microphones.

Thanks for all the words, much appreciated..!!

Also thanks for the input fifthcircle, it becomes more and more obvious that Sennheiser has made a fantastic new series of microphones...

Old 9th February 2008
Super Moderator

For the record, on the street the MKH8000 series microphones are selling north of $1000.00 USD.

Some killer deals were had during the 2007 AES when the mics were first promoted.

What prices have you folks seen online?

At this time, Sennheiser does not have MAP pricing on these wonderful mics.
Dealers can advertise them at any selling price they want...

I have seen Full Compus list these mics for $1050.00.
I haven't seen them listed any lower than that, but I know a dealer that has giving some special price breaks to their friends and good customers.

If you're interested you can consider contacting me about it.
Old 21st February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I haven't seen them listed any lower than that, but I know a dealer that has giving some special price breaks to their friends and good customers.

If you're interested you can consider contacting me about it.
Hey Steve,

if this is still an option, I would be interested? PMd you about it!

Cheers,

Phil.

Last edited by phil.; 21st February 2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: miss-spelling
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Thank God! I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for an omni that reaches 60kHz!
Strange, I kinda heard that for example Schoeps CMC6 sounds better then CMC6 xt (40kHz)...
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Extended HF mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfortas2006 View Post
Strange, I kinda heard that for example Schoeps CMC6 sounds better then CMC6 xt (40kHz)...
I haven't heard a comparison.
I have noticed, however, that a few mics that have been "extended" have "less regular" frequency response (according to manufacturers' docs) under 20k than their non extended predecessors.
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

I just ordered a pair of 8040s- a little wait of 3 weeks. I noticed that the frequency range goes up to 50K! The top end sounds smooth to me, but are we truely taking advantage of this extended range when recording at 44.1? Theoreticly, I can't capture any frequency above 20.5K - right?
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Not just theory... If you are recording at 44.1K, you can't capture a pitch higher than 20.5KHz.

Hasn't seemed to bother me yet, though. I've made plenty of good recordings at 44.1KHz.

--Ben
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Not just theory... If you are recording at 44.1K, you can't capture a pitch higher than 20.5KHz.

Hasn't seemed to bother me yet, though. I've made plenty of good recordings at 44.1KHz.

--Ben
Hey Ben,

I hope it's going well out on the road! Have you tried recording at FS2 with these mics? If so is there a remarkable difference compared to FS1?
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

I've done a few things at 96K with them, but I can't say that I've done an A-B comparison with them. Heck, the show I'm on right now is running at 96KHz on the PM5D and I'm using the 8040's on the violin/viola and cello. Getting a great sound with them.

--Ben
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Ivo

Did you ever get to test any of the MKH8000..?

Best Mads
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

I do 85% classical and am always on the lookout for mics that do not have too much "flavor." I recently auditioned the 8040 cardioids-- and compared to Schoeps MK21 they were a touch LESS brilliant, which got my attention given how few cardioids really sound all that nice. The 8040s have a little more definition than the TLM193s I usually reach for to spot things in a subtle way.

The 8020 omnis are very neutral (similar to Schoeps MK2 but not as "warm") and are quite nice in the "air band" from 12kHz on up. Very nice main mics, where you want everything presented "without bias."

The best part is that these mics can be found for a little over $1k each, which is a real bargain now when cost is a significant factor.

Presently I am working with a Hamburg Steinway that is very clear and a touch brilliant-- the perfect situation for the 193. The other piano is an American Steinway that reacts well with the 8040s.

Tomorrow night I record the Emerson plus the American Steinway and will use a 1m spaced pair of 8020s for mains and 8040s on the piano. If they are anything other than subtle I'll report back.

Rich
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Nut
I bought a pair of the 8040's last November and just recently had a chance to try them as drum overheads for a Jazz concert. Heres a sample. No EQ on the OH's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search