The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

New Sennheiser MKH8000 Series Mics Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, the comparisons are often very relative (unless you compare Behringer with DPA etc.). The change of the mic position can often result in bigger difference than changing the mic in the same position.
Beyond certain quality level, the sound differences are very minor ...

Yet, in those clips, even after adjusting the volumes, the 8040 seems to sound more round, full and natural than Schoeps, which shows a bit of artificial "edginess" somehow ...

I would be very curious to hear omni comparison (MK2 vs 8020). I somehow found myself using omni on almost everything ...
Old 1st January 2008
Super Moderator

We just used three MKH8020s over the audience for NPR's Toast of the Nation broadcast from the Jazz Standard.

Trio da Paz and Kenny Barron performed.
Jim Anderson was the mix enginner.
Aura Sonic provide the mobile unit and crew.

The mics sounded wonderful.
Jim was very pleased with the results.

Did anyone get a chance to hear this broadcast?
It also was streaming on the Net.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Any suggestions on low-profile shockmounts for these little buggers? I just went to one of the best stores in LA for getting bits and pieces (Coast Recording on Santa Monica in Hollywood) and with all the mounts they had, none of them would fit a mic this small. The Audio Technica (which is the only thing I have right now that fits it) is way too big. Heck, the clip alone is as large as the mic, almost... Not to mention, the size defeats one of the purposes of such a small mic.

Why did Sennheiser have to design these to be 1-2 mm smaller than all the standard shockmounts?!

Am I stuck spending the bux for Sennheiser's overpriced mount?

--Ben
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Do what I did with my 4003/6-- take a piece of black gaffer (about 1x12 inches) and wrap the connector end, then slip it in a Shure A53M.

Rich
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

How about the AT8471 mount? It only costs about $30. The clamp portion is rubber(not plastic). See Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8471 : Microphone Isolation Stand Clamp

I use them for my Josephson C617's and like them.
Bill
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
You probably noticed that the 8040 clip is higher in volume than the rest ... so for a true comparison, the volume levels should be adjusted ...
Noticed, corrected to some degree, still like the 8040 the best.
Tamas Dragon
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
How about the AT8471 mount? It only costs about $30. The clamp portion is rubber(not plastic). See Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8471 : Microphone Isolation Stand Clamp

I use them for my Josephson C617's and like them.
Bill
Interesting... Do they go down to 17mm in diameter? So far, I've found a number of great mounts, but they don't go quite small enough. Also, how good of a shock mount are they? The mics come with a mount, but the problem is they are very sensitive to noise coming up through the stand- much more than my schoeps and some of the similar mics that I use.

--Ben
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Noticed, corrected to some degree, still like the 8040 the best.
Tamas Dragon
Me too On the other hand I never liked Schoeps cardiod too much (sold MK4V recently).
Old 4th January 2008
Gear Addict

Hi there.

According to the specs, the new Sennheisers have much higher output (31 mV), thus
they need less amplification from the preamps.
They also have slightly less noise than the Schoeps.
At least the omnis (10 dB on Sennheiser vs 11-12 dB on Schoeps).

Have any of you Sennheiser-owners noticed any difference in noiselevel when compared to Schoeps?

When we did a recent comparison between different mics, the Schoeps seemed to have just as much noise as the other mics (but in different frequencies).
The other mics had 16 dB noise (the Schoeps claim to have only 11-12 dB noise).

Thanks.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

There is no industry standard for noise measurement. You could have the same mic measured by three companies and get three different numbers.

Your ears are the best measurement.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

My experience when testing these mics is that the output was similar, but perhaps a touch lower than the original MKH40 and higher than the Schoeps.

As for noise floor, they are all low, but Sennheiser typically plays games with their mics to get an exceptionally noise-free sound. They are all very clean, though.

--Ben
Old 5th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Interesting... Do they go down to 17mm in diameter? So far, I've found a number of great mounts, but they don't go quite small enough. Also, how good of a shock mount are they? The mics come with a mount, but the problem is they are very sensitive to noise coming up through the stand- much more than my schoeps and some of the similar mics that I use.

--Ben
Sorry but they measure approx. 20-21mm at smallest diameter. As to shock sensitivity-they compared quite favorably to traditional suspension mounts with the "hit the mic stand with metal object test". Given the price worth trying even if you need to use a bit of tape(or your own personal ownership label) wound on the outside of the mic to get a smug fit. I have a pair of 8040's on order and will be trying this. Bill
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Any news about the 8020 ?

Well it was interesting to hear the sound of 8040 on piano, but I'm sure we are a few, who would love some sound examples of the 8020 and/or further comments, if this is possible.
Is this the ultimate pressure zone mic, we've all been waiting for..? [well some of us ]

Moreover does anybody know if pressure zone balls [like the APE balls for DPA] are or will be available for these tiny things.

Kind regards,
M
Old 7th January 2008
Here for the gear

Hey

I want to use these to complement my arsenal for taping live rock shows from the audience FOB... have 184's 4011's how do you think they will be in this world?

thanks A
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegert View Post
Hey

I want to use these to complement my arsenal for taping live rock shows from the audience FOB... have 184's 4011's how do you think they will be in this world?

thanks A
In my opinion.... when you put ANY great pair of mics out in front of a live rock show... the sound will be so crappy, (relatively speaking) that the differences between the great mics you have and the (great) 8040 would be very small.

I'd say it wouldnt be worth it. Sure, the 8040s would sound different, but the end result would still be crappy (relatively speaking)

Does that make sense?

I think it is like.... like .... taking a photograph of a supermodel from 10 miles away... it doesnt matter what off the shelf camera you have..... Canon, Nikon, etc.

(i'm excluding telescopes - just a loose analogy)
Old 7th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
In my opinion.... when you put ANY great pair of mics out in front of a live rock show... the sound will be so crappy, (relatively speaking) that the differences between the great mics you have and the (great) 8040 would be very small.

I'd say it wouldnt be worth it. Sure, the 8040s would sound different, but the end result would still be crappy (relatively speaking)

Does that make sense?

I think it is like.... like .... taking a photograph of a supermodel from 10 miles away... it doesnt matter what off the shelf camera you have..... Canon, Nikon, etc.

(i'm excluding telescopes - just a loose analogy)
I appreciate that the recordings are not what you would get from a controlled studio with a piano and the time to set up for a release style recording. That being said you do hear the difference in a big way using great mics in my world. We do have upfront placement and we love the music and get very listenable recordings. Are they live record material? No but they are widely shared and loved. and often the only thing availble..

My questions are how well are they at reducing the stray room noise off axis... for example. This might not be the forum for this but I do know pro recordists who do the real work by day and do what I do by night... My hope was some comments from one of them on this issue :-)

Thanks for any info
A :-)
Old 8th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Finally- the muzyk... Thoughts everybody?

--Ben

Thanks for posting the audio! It's always nice to hear some different microphones... there are lots of nice microphones out there!
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Well it was interesting to hear the sound of 8040 on piano, but I'm sure we are a few, who would love some sound examples of the 8020 and/or further comments, if this is possible.
Is this the ultimate pressure zone mic, we've all been waiting for..? [well some of us ]

Moreover does anybody know if pressure zone balls [like the APE balls for DPA] are or will be available for these tiny things.

Kind regards,
M
Can't help you with omni samples, but if you saw the pictures posted on how small these mics are, you would see that there would also be no space for the balls and the mount to the mic stand. The mics are only about 3.5" long.

BTW, used these mics on a violin recording yesterday... I'm thrilled with the sound. Big and rich with air and not a hint of harshness.

--Ben
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW, used these mics on a violin recording yesterday... I'm thrilled with the sound. Big and rich with air and not a hint of harshness.

--Ben
Thanks Ben -

This is one of the things that I have been wondering about; how they sound on strings. So your observations is very good news!

The question is, if they'll work for a full orchestra as main mics [A-B or Decca Tree]. I have an idea that they may lack presence for this kind of job and maybe be to 'dull' or to 'clouded' sounding [for the lack of better words] and therefore lack vividness.
This is why I ask for 'APE balls' as they project the sound and can 'listen deeper into an ensemble'. [I have 4006TL with APE 50mm.]
Anyhow I'm sure it's a wonder spot mic and general chamber music mic, still samples would be very welcome, when some, at some point, can post it!

Regards,
Mads
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
The question is, if they'll work for a full orchestra as main mics [A-B or Decca Tree]. I have an idea that they may lack presence for this kind of job and maybe be to 'dull' or to 'clouded' sounding [for the lack of better words] and therefore lack vividness.
The 8020 no longer seems to have the free/diffuse field response switch... Wonder why.

Let's see whether we'll get some AB samples, I'd be very interested. Seriously...

Daniel
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

These mics remind me a lot of the MKH800 in a lot of situations... There is a reach and a sound that they have that I have not seen in many other mics.

I could absolutely imagine using these as an ORTF pair with flanks in any one of my orchestral situations. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test that for another month or so.

I think the piano sample could have sounded better if the mics were moved further back from the source. In this case, it wasn't really possible for the shootout, but in the couple times I've used them, I've found that I've had to position them further back than I thought I'd need.

--Ben
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

More reporting on the 8020 omnis I've been using for a while. . .

I have been using these as the outriggers on orchestra for about a month.

The 8020 sound is very good with a lot of reach to the back of the orchestra and no harshness in the sound. This is not the ideal way to test the mics since they are blended with many others to make the stereo picture. However, the Sennheiser omnis are an appealing sound in this usage test.

To really test the mics on their own I turned to piano recording. Here they offer up a rich sound with a lot of overtones yet a smoothness that other high quality SD mics do not offer. There is a bronze-ish sound to the mic that is appealing. I said before that the mic imparts a "golden halo" to the recorded sound.

Also killer was a brass ensemble in a reverberant hall. This is a special omni sound and
highly desirable.
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

The 8020 sound is very good with a lot of reach to the back of the orchestra and no harshness in the sound. This is not the ideal way to test the mics since they are blended with many others to make the stereo picture. However, the Sennheiser omnis are an appealing sound in this usage test.

To really test the mics on their own I turned to piano recording. Here they offer up a rich sound with a lot of overtones yet a smoothness that other high quality SD mics do not offer. There is a bronze-ish sound to the mic that is appealing. I said before that the mic imparts a "golden halo" to the recorded sound.

Also killer was a brass ensemble in a reverberant hall. This is a special omni sound and
highly desirable.
Thanks Plush -

That was a very positive statement!

Your description seem to fit the kind of omni mic I've been looking for perfectly!
If at all possible I would be more than delighted to hear a few samples of the recordings you describe. That is the piano-recording and the brass ensemble.
Under all circumstances this is very encouraging news!

Would you 'dare' using them as main mics, based on your experience until now? [Do you think they will be able to convey the bite of an orchestra or are they too forgiving?]

Mads
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

highly desirable.
Do you also have and use Schoeps MK2 ? If yes, how would you compare ? The local dealer has only 8040 to lend ... (which I may try, although I would be more interested in omni )
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Do you also have and use Schoeps MK2 ? If yes, how would you compare ? The local dealer has only 8040 to lend ... (which I may try, although I would be more interested in omni )
Yes comparison is the key - besides the MK2, the 4006TL would be interesting to compare it with as well, in my view. thumbsup
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

I will try to answer several posters and their questions about these omni mics.

There would be no hesitation to use them as a main pair on orchestra or anything else.
We are a house of Schoeps here and what I am impressed about with these 8020 mics is the smoothness and golden quality of the sound. Schoeps, although in general a neutral sounding mic that is not bright, can sometimes have a trebley sheen overlayed on the sound. These Sennheiser omnis do not exhibit that behavior.

Schoeps Mk2 is used and valued here. It is a very flat sound made for fairly close in recording. It is my favorite omni and I know its sound very well. Sennheiser needs to be placed farther away from the sound source and it presents a sound that is sparkly where the Schoeps sounds a little wooly in comparison. Sennheiser sound appears to have more treble. Sennheiser also sounds very flat (this seems like a contradiction
but that is how I would describe it.)

In comparison to B&K 4006 (non TL) the B&K sounds tipped up in the treble with an annoying ultra-sonic treble haze sound right in the region where digital sounds worst. This is the reason that they are less popular now.

I have decided to go back to using the M50's as outriggers on my weekly orchestra recordings instead of using the 8020 SEnn. This is merely because the M50's capture the back of the orchestra (low brass/horns) with more ooommmph, more phatness and more grease. The Sennheiser has too much reach towards the back of the orchestra for use in the hall I am working in. It renders too clearly the sound from the back. I need grease and wooly and bloated sound to manufacture my fantasy sound that I hear in my head in this particular hall.

These Sennheisers will be the new choice for recording piano here though. It's unbelievable to hear on Steinway and Bosendorfer. Check the studio pics in my MySpace link for pics.

Maybe I can post sounds here later. They would be of piano. Most of the stuff I am recording could never be posted here as copies are tightly controlled due to contractual agreements.
Old 10th January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
These Sennheisers will be the new choice for recording piano here though. It's unbelievable to hear on Steinway and Bosendorfer. Check the studio pics in my MySpace link for pics.
Thanks for the info, Plush. Your MySpace profile is set to private, hence pics only viewable to your added friends (afaik). FYI.
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thank you VUK--I have changed the MySpace to public. Some mutha musta hacked
my myspace, cause I ain't got nuttin to hide by goin' private.
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot Plush -

This is fine and detailed information you come up with, that really gives me quite an idea about what kind of microphone[s] we're discussing in this thread. It sounds more and more like a microphone [read two] that I could use. An omni with reach; that's exactly what I'm after.
BTW! It's my feeling that the treble haze in the 4006 [I think I understand your description], is a problem that 4006TL doesn't exhibit. [I have an upgraded TL from DPA] and it's a better microphone now. That said DPA/B&K has never been [and still isn't] my favorite for strings, but it sounds as if 8020 amongst other things, could be just that.

Thanks again!
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Schoeps Mk2 is used and valued here. It is a very flat sound made for fairly close in recording. It is my favorite omni and I know its sound very well. Sennheiser needs to be placed farther away from the sound source and it presents a sound that is sparkly where the Schoeps sounds a little wooly in comparison. Sennheiser sound appears to have more treble. Sennheiser also sounds very flat (this seems like a contradiction
but that is how I would describe it.)

In comparison to B&K 4006 (non TL) the B&K sounds tipped up in the treble with an annoying ultra-sonic treble haze sound right in the region where digital sounds worst. This is the reason that they are less popular now.

In my studio I do only fairly close recordings, mostly with Schoeps MK2 and I feel they sound very neutral. Once I had DPA 4006 here (and other DPAs), I tried them quite in detail and with great expectation and compared directly with Schoeps and my feeling was Schoeps sound much better, sounded somehow more pleasant and musical, while DPA sounded a bit more "sterile" and with that "ultrasonic" touch you mention ... Even for a blind or first choice, I would grab Schoeps ... So there is nothing to complain about ...

When you say that MKH8020 has more treble than Schoeps MK2, it makes me pondering whether this is something I miss ( sometimes even MK2 sound a bit too "sparkly") and whether they would be ideal for close recording of violin, viola, flutes etc.

Anyway, I may try MKH 8040 next week, so I will have at least some experience. On the samples Ben posted, I prefered 8040 to Schoeps ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search