The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Sound Devices 744T Digital Converters
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Cool Sound Devices 744T

I have recently invested in one of these. Has anyone used this device solely to produce CD/commercial recordings? If so could you post some extracts and mention mic and technique choice?

Also I have a Crane Song Spider. I might need to use this for extra channels. Anyone recommend a good quality AES to 744T lead/connector?

Any other tips for using the 744T would be welcome also. Looks like a beautiful machine and sounds promising in early experiments.

I will be using Pro Tools LE for editing mostly acoustic/classical sessions.
Old 23rd August 2007
Super Moderator

Yo maestro,

Check this thread out if you haven't already...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...744t-long.html
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

- interested in these (not that I can afford one). I have a quick question. Can you overdub? (play back one or more tracks, while recording one or more - obviously, up to a total of 4 recording or playing)

BTW, theres quite a bit of SD user info here:

http://taperssection.com
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

744t user here. I just love this thing. Planning on getting another one of these babies soon.

You can't over dub on this machine, I don't think any of these recorders designed for film can do this if I recall correctly, except maybe the HHB Portadrive but this guy costs somthing like 3 time what the 744t costs.

If you are looking for tips you should check out the soundevices support forums at

Sound Devices User Forums :: Index

How are you planning on interfacing AES?

The simplest is just to use the 2 XLR inputs with standard AES cables. If you are looking to use the AES3id i/o i suggest you get some of the AES/AES3id converters from Graham-Patten at

Welcome to Graham-Patten

If I am not mistaken the i/o is also s/pdif compatible so some bnc to rca s/pdif cables shoud work just as well.

Have fun with your 744, its a great tool.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hello maestro and congratulations on the 744. I run a 722 and really like the results I get and the portability. Sometimes I miss those two extra channels though.

As for editing in ProTools LE, I have been there as well. In my experience that is not the perfect application for that kind of work. My suggestion is that you look to Samplitude or Sequioa (same program, a little different feature sets) which is what I and I believe quite a few other classical people use. One large timesaver is beeing able to burn CD-s directly from inside the program. The typical cycle - make small mod / make CD takes a full hour or more with ProTools, 10 minutes with Sam. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Gunnar
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

I been loving it on my commercial/film stuff with the remote and virtually indestructible rubber keyboard..

..but the external DVD ram drive has been giving me major problems..I/o error/drive goes offline/disc wont format,etc..
had to transfer everything to my laptop and reburn a DVDR today.
after a 15 hour day,the last thing i wanna do is "File Management" for 30 minutes on location
not cool on a big ol' film set with 50 crew members and talent waiting .
Downtime is not an option.
hoping its just a bum ram recorder
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan_M View Post
You can't over dub on this machine, I don't think any of these recorders designed for film can do this if I recall correctly, except maybe the HHB Portadrive but this guy costs somthing like 3 time what the 744t costs.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Knowing that actually makes it easier for me to go for one of the less expensive SD 2-track models, when I can afford it - for now I'm using an RME ADI-2 into a MicroTrack, and/or a laptop rig, when I need more than 2 tracks or overdubbing/editing.

I've had my eye on the Portadrive since before it came out. I worked for a company (now one of my customers) that used to be the regional HHB rep./dealer. The Edirol 4-track may overdub, but I want an SD, and 2 tracks will do me most of the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search