The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Onboard or External audio for mobile monitoring? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Question Onboard or External audio for mobile monitoring?

I have an Emu 1616M, but I was wondering if there is any benefit to using my Emu 1616M PC Card to listen to my stuff when I am on the go. I figure it is just another thing to carry around with me and plug in when I want to edit my previous recordings, so unless it helps process the audio or something, maybe if it helps latency of my software instruments or something, that I should just leave it behind..

does the cardbus version of the 1616M pc card assist with this kind of thing? or should I just use my onboard headphone jack and only use the PC card when tracking? Thanks!!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

any benefit to using the card from a 1616m over the onboard audio? better latency with plugins? anything? or should I save it for tracking..
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

The converters on the 1616m are light years ahead of the ones built into your computer's motherboard...the quality and clarity is significant. If you use any of the dsp plugins you need to have the card in anyways.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Right the converters are obviously better, but I am saying, for the times when I am not recording, just listening to everything on my headphones... is there any benefit to useing the E-MU card or, to save it from risk of being broken, lost, stolen, should I leave it at home and only pull it out when I need to record or actively mix via monitors?

or will it decrease latency of my VST's and what not and give me a real reason to use it and carry it with me?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I think he's referring to the digital to analog conversion. It should be a lot better than the computer's D/A.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

maybe I am not getting it... is D/A important when I am just arranging/programming midi in my laptop and not recording anything?? There are times when I record, and there are times when i am on the move and all I want to do is listen on a pair of headphones to hear notes play. I dont care about the sound quality at all.

I just want to know if having the EMU card in the slot and using its headphone output, will lowere the latency of my VST instruments...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

If you're just programming and not critically listening to the tones then the computer sound card will be fine. It shouldn't make any difference with your vst's. I know the 1616m has onboard dsp and it's own effects...obviously, you need the card in if you're using any of these....
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Righto- what about latency? whenever I am in cubase looking at the sound cards different driver settings, the EMU pops up with a default "latency" of 50ms, and the built in sound card is a lot higher...

but as long as sound cards have nothing to do with performance of VSTs and popping/clipping etc, then that is what I wanted to know.
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Nut

you'll get better lower latency using your card . you mean the cardbus right?
yeah better than a motherboard output ...however using your motherboard sound will not ruin your project or degrade the quality . itll just sound a little bit naf in your head phones and more latency too.
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Nut

load up a project full of effects and vst's and try with and without , see what happens. im pretty sure the breakput box is only to house the conections and amps...the card bus is the processor ( latency patchmix ect _
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search