The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

new member question on rehearsal recording.... Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Question new member question on rehearsal recording....

Hi folks, I've just joined so apologies if I sound a bit naive..... I am in the process of trying to start up rehearsal rooms for local bands, you know the sort of thing.......... amps, drums PA. I would like to offer direct recording where the band can burn a cd of their rehearsal. I dont want to involve mixing or anything complicated just basic recording. I use a place that has a Tascam recorder which does the job. I was wanting to ask opinions on what kit to use and how to set it up best. I've also saw a Roland CD2 Cfd recorder which looks like it might do the job...... any help appreciated
cheers
john
Old 21st August 2007
LX3
Lives for gear

It depends on the size and intent of the rehearsal space... but if it's the usual 15ft x 15ft box then I'd say spaced omnis in the centre of the room (can you hang them from something?) about 1.5 feet apart, not too close to the ceiling if possible, pointing straight down. To stereo mic preamp. Then to CD recorder or better still IMO solid-state flash recorder (in which case you probably won't need the mic pre, which is a good thing in terms of keeping things simple).

Reasoning being that people tend to set up in a circle in rehearsal (at least, I do if I can), so there's no particular "direction" that people are playing in... or if there is, it's the centre of the room. So that's where the mics need to be... although putting them over/behind the drummer is often a good spot too - good drum sound, although usually too much drums balance-wise.

If you have a low ceiling, then try PZMs, again about a foot and a half apart, screwed to the ceiling somehow. Don't use tape - they'll fall off eventually. Mount on a large perspex/plexiglass board if the ceiling is soundproofed and soft.

I'm assuming here that no-one's even thinking of recording off the mixing board. Usually people don't mic backline in rehearsal, so it's pointless. However, big rehearsal spaces where they rehearse major shows will often record from the desk... but the band usually brings an engineer to take care of that. The players have enough to concentrate on without having to become recording engineers for the day. Usually better to just record what you hear, and that means a pair of mics.

As I said, I would consider using a cheap-ish solid-state recorder (Edirol 09? Or an FR2-LE would be perfect) rather than a CD recorder. and external mics. Bands bring their own flash card (or you sell them one). Then users have enough record time to put it into record at the start of the rehearsal and leave it going all night! Might have more appeal, especially now we all own computers, and send MP3s to each other.

My 2c anyhow. Hope that's useful.

Paul
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks for taking the time to reply. I dont have the place set up yet.. still searching for premesis. I wanted the info so I could price lit etc. This will be useful, thanks
john h
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
It depends on the size and intent of the rehearsal space... but if it's the usual 15ft x 15ft box then I'd say spaced omnis in the centre of the room
thanks for a really useful post, paul. are there any omni mics that you (or anyone else) would particularly recommend. i was hoping I could get away with a pair of reasonably cheap mics such as these from audio technica: Audio-Technica AT3032 | Dolphin Music but i was wondering if there was a work horse mic for this sort of thing, given that the band is pretty much guitar based, with the odd synth thrown in.

any help appreciated
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Maniac

i'm really into the jecklin disk concept lately.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search