The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Laptop & DAW for live playback? Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Question Laptop & DAW for live playback?

I'm going to replace my Fostex D824 harddisc recorder (too bulky) with a laptop for live use. Reliability is obviously my main concern, so I'm looking for a stable computer/DAW/audio interface solution. I'm gonna try our bass player's Samplitude/RME Fireface 400 rig, but I'm open for suggestions.

There won't be more than 6 or 7 audio tracks playing at the same time and 8 channels of D/A is plenty enough. What would be my best and most stable option?
Old 20th August 2007
I would recommend the Mac Book Pro Running Logic Pro 7 with a Symphony Mobil Express Card.

With the Symphony Mobil Card, you can expand your system up to 32 I/O. Don't need more than 8 Channels, go with the Rosetta 800 and seemlessly integrate Apogee Conversion into your rig!

Peace
mixwell
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I would recommend the Mac Book Pro Running Logic Pro 7 with a Symphony Mobil Express Card.

With the Symphony Mobil Card, you can expand your system up to 32 I/O. Don't need more than 8 Channels, go with the Rosetta 800 and seemlessly integrate Apogee Conversion into your rig!

Peace
mixwell
I'm using Logic Pro in my studio, but I'm not sure if this is the most stable DAW out there. That, and a Mac Book Pro with Apogee conversion is a very expensive solution and kind of overkill for my needs. I'm just trying to run some orchestra samples, choirs and keyboards at live shows of my metal band and the quality of the Fostex converters was good enough for that. I just need a more portable rig to bring on planes, plus I want the comfort of a DAW to edit the setlists, add intros and stuff like that.

Thanks for your input! thumbsup
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino View Post
I'm using Logic Pro in my studio, but I'm not sure if this is the most stable DAW out there. That, and a Mac Book Pro with Apogee conversion is a very expensive solution and kind of overkill for my needs. I'm just trying to run some orchestra samples, choirs and keyboards at live shows of my metal band and the quality of the Fostex converters was good enough for that. I just need a more portable rig to bring on planes, plus I want the comfort of a DAW to edit the setlists, add intros and stuff like that.

Thanks for your input! thumbsup
Have you given any thought to Ableton Live? I've been using it in a live setup for a few months now with my band. Triggering samples and scenes from a Roland SPD-20 and a couple of piezo triggers on the kit itself. Works very well for that. I've even recorded the band live with Live using a MOTU UltraLite connected to a MacBook Pro. No issues whatsoever. The DAW functionality within Live is powerful enough for most applications.

Hope this helps.

-s
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino View Post
I'm going to replace my Fostex D824 harddisc recorder (too bulky) with a laptop for live use. Reliability is obviously my main concern, so I'm looking for a stable computer/DAW/audio interface solution. I'm gonna try our bass player's Samplitude/RME Fireface 400 rig, but I'm open for suggestions.

There won't be more than 6 or 7 audio tracks playing at the same time and 8 channels of D/A is plenty enough. What would be my best and most stable option?
try ableton live, works awesome. a decent small interface ist the native instruments audiocontrol, small, reliable and actually pretty cheap:

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Products : AUDIO KONTROL 1
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, I'll have a look at Ableton Live. I'm still gonna try our bass players rig first, because if this works, I don't have to buy another interface and DAW, just a pack up laptop. So, no love for Samplitude around here?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search