The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

moving to apartment, trimming down the studio, and going portable....suggestions? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Question moving to apartment, trimming down the studio, and going portable....suggestions?

hey there...so, currently i live in a guest house where i am able to record and make music at relatively high volume. its a decent size too, so ive got a 32/8 analog mixing board in an argosy desk, with a few bits of outboard gear.

next month i move into a smaller apartment where it would probably be quite a challenge to take the mixing board, desk, and everything up to, plus, there really would be no real reason to do any serious tracking, as i would have neighbors complaining (most likely).

now my question is, what would be my best bet as far as having a great portable set up?
im looking for something thats 2 channels with 1 phantom power input for scratch vocals . something simple and effective, and also i need great monitoring. in essence, something i can pack up to take on the road, easy set up. i was thinking of the apogee mini-dac/mini-me combo as i can take those with me...they seem small enough.

im not worried about the final mix or tracking or what not, as i work at a recording facility and have free access to any mix stage or sound stage i want, with much more professional tools than im already using.

so what do you think?

mbox ?
apogee mini series?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

bueller?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Obviously it's a personal choice... but for scratch vocals the quality doesn't really matter so you could probably get by with almost anything. If you'd like to track semi final vocals though, I'd go with the mini me and a lunch box with a pre, eq, and comp.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i was thinking of getting a lunchbox as its fairly small and i can take it around to a studio for different flavor. i think the main thing is that i want to ditch the racks and keep it to a very small minimal and portable set up. like bare it down to 3 essentials, but obviously, having good monitoring and converter quality. enough to take it to an hd set up for mixing.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd get an Ensemble over the mini if you are on a mac. On pc, look at the RME fireface 400 or 800.

If you want portable with quality, the lunchbox thing is good, but if you want some mixing and routing capability, look into the Tonelux or SSL modular stuff. Neve portico is cool too.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut
+1 for the RME. The Fireface 400 would be fine for your needs, and has 2 pres. If you're after a quality pre to go with it, the DAV BG1 (stereo) is pretty compact and sounds great, especially for the price.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

This is all you need.

Complete the 6U rack with an apogee ensemble (so you get 4 more great pres, A/D/A and monitoring/headphone manager) and tie the rack to a MacBook Pro running Logic.

Final touches: Focal Solo6 monitors, couple of closed headphones and your preferred mics.

Presto. Hi-end in a bag (actually 3, but you can carry them at once). Simple and elegant.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

If you're running a Mac, take a look a the Metric Halo ULN2.

It'll fit inside you back-pack with your laptop -- it's smaller than a laptop.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

just what i was looking for jimbo!

now its either the mh uln2 or an apogee mini set up.
the uln2 looks like its best of both worlds and at a better price!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't discount the ULN2 preamps as just "interface preamps". Those things kick-ass all the way to 72 dB!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search