The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Keith Jarrett a umbria jazz 07 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 28th August 2007
Super Moderator

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Arrow

Henry
Pierre Schaeffer is the radio engineer who is famous for music concrete,
using found sounds to compose, at first with the wire recorder ...
I find it similar to Cage's 4:40.
although this piece is construed as silence, it was composed for metronome and open windows on a performance hall in Woodstock. (patrons coughing,birds/bugs singing...)
Both of these require the listener to suspend their traditional pose
and listen to what the environment has to say
of course one must listen with "music" ears ...

ps
I feel this is the beginning of sampling and scratching...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

Oh yeah. Musique Concrete. I haven't been down that path in a long time. It probably was the beginning of sample stuff.

I always dug Cages' concept for 4:40. Sounds of the room and peoples uncomfortableness.

The composer in me was interested in that stuff. But the guitar player in me wanted to play. For the listener in me it was a lot of fun. But it just made me go out in the world and listen to the sounds, as if they were music. I preferred doing that actually. Still do.

For the playing aspect I took a lot from Penderecki. How he was able to get unconventional sounds out of instruments and an orchestra way back in the 60s. That and Albert Ayler.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

I know everyone is sick to death is this thread and myself in particular. But I know only too well how difficult it is to talk about music, especially when one makes oneself, even perpendicularly part of the subject. Worse yet when nobody knows what I sound like. So if requested I can post some examples, if anyone is interested. Yes I know, this has nothing to do with Jarrett.

If not that's totally OK. I've enjoyed this lively debate, as ******** as it seemed to me. heh
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

.....yeah Henry post something......I'm sure your a wonderful musician so it would be nice to check out your sound......just remember though.....no noodling.....we want only God given, divine inspiration....!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
.....yeah Henry post something......I'm sure your a wonderful musician so it would be nice to check out your sound......just remember though.....no noodling.....we want only God given, divine inspiration....!
Oh god! I'm nothing but noodles!

It's funny how several people have said that they're sure I'm a good musician, yet I'm not sure ANYONE has heard me. So it struck me as so much hot air. You know? I mean hot air from me. Gotta pony up. Put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

Now I never said I was good. I only said I could play, which might imply that I'm good, but not really . . . It just means I can play.heh

But it's jazz, you know.

Let me see. Can you post on GS?? I don't have a website.
Old 29th August 2007
Super Moderator

Yeah, just upload your MP3 tune on the MP3 forum and leave a link on this thread.

We have the technology!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Let's see if this works!

I play with a band The Capital Jazz Project. We do special concerts. We see the music once or twice and play. Kind of a sight reading fiesta.

Turn Out The Stars - from our Bill Evans concert. It's turned out to be one of my favorite songs. Too bad the MP3 resolution smears the cymbals and stuff . .

Trick Bag - From our Wes Montgomery concert. This is kind of funny because our pianist and drummer got off. And this almost never happens. So they wouldn't be happy me posting this. I was imagining Dave Liebman . . .

No More Blues - from a remote I did with vocalist Ann Pedersen.

OK. So I also recorded all of these. Both my gear, technique on guitar and remote recording while I play have improved since these, -- well not so No More Blues. That was this year. But after those live shows we did a year of Bebop, where I realized I couldn't play bebop. So I've woodsheded bebop AND I stopped practicing! I play way too much!

The Ann Pedersen remote wasn't done in front aof a live audience but in a classroom where I teach.

OK now everyone can finally tear my ass apart!

Attached Files

Turn Out The Stars 2 gtr snip.mp3 (2.49 MB, 71 views)

Trick Bags gtr snip.mp3 (1.25 MB, 123 views)

No Mo Blues gtr snip.mp3 (809.4 KB, 93 views)

Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

One More

This is from a CJP concert where we did the music of Freddie Hubbard. My solo doesn't find it's footing for the first half then it's OK afterwards.

All of these are a bunch of chord changes. Turn out The Stars and No Mo' Blues are ridiculous.

Well it didn't come through. Oh well. That's enough.

Oops. I shouldn't have posted in the Jarrett thread.
Old 29th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Yeah, just upload your MP3 tune on the MP3 forum and leave a link on this thread.

We have the technology!
...Or just post it in the Jarrett thread.

Nice work my friend!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks Steve! I actually wanted to not post to the MP3 site, if that's OK. But I can see where it's against the rules . . . I thought it was more germane here rather than overall GS.
Old 29th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Thanks Steve! I actually wanted to not post to the MP3 site, if that's OK. But I can see where it's against the rules . . . I thought it was more germane here rather than overall GS.
No worries!

All the best.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's one great band Henry.....would have liked to hear the complete songs.....I love "turn out the stars" one of my fave bill evans songs, the sax player has a beautiful tone.....these snippets show us u have the chops and I like ur sound but would really like to hear u play a slow ballad I want to hear what you do with a familiar melody in terms of tone, phraseing and dynamics....that would kind of complete the picture for me. A bit of topic but how do you feel about Pat Martino I have a couple of cd's of his really like his playing. Also on a more contemporary note I think Charlie Hunter is really interesting. Anyway henry thanks for that.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Henry some great piano playing there... too bad about the guitarist...

Ok I kid . Nice playing, it's always fun putting some music to a name.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
That's one great band Henry.....would have liked to hear the complete songs.....I love "turn out the stars" one of my fave bill evans songs, the sax player has a beautiful tone.....these snippets show us u have the chops and I like ur sound but would really like to hear u play a slow ballad I want to hear what you do with a familiar melody in terms of tone, phraseing and dynamics....that would kind of complete the picture for me. A bit of topic but how do you feel about Pat Martino I have a couple of cd's of his really like his playing. Also on a more contemporary note I think Charlie Hunter is really interesting. Anyway henry thanks for that.
Hey thanks butterfly! I'll see what I could drag up for a ballad. Since this wasn't the MP3 forum and since was just just giving examples of how I play, I didn't want to make huge files, I just through in snippets of me.

Yeah, it's a great band. Joe Gilman, the pianist, is the best! He's on the road with Bobby Hutcherson, jazz vibist, right now. Rick Lotter on drums. Kerry Kashiwagi bass; Mike McMullen tenor; and on "Turn out the Stars" Steve Roach trumpet and Jeff Alkire alto sax.

I used to like Pat Martino a long time ago. I mean I still like him, but I don't listen to him any more. I really don't listen to guitarists. Not that I shouldn't, but I'm more inspired by hiorn players and piano players. Martino is great. But, for me, sometimes he falls into that jazz guitar monotone drone. All 8th notes, all similarly articulated. He turns every chord into a minor one, I think, so he has a similar reference point to everything. I think he's absolutely great. Maybe I listened too much to him too long ago . . .

Charlie Hunter. I never got Charlie Hunter. I'l have to listen to him some more. Doing the bass/guitar thing is pretty amazing. But other than that I ever got his guitar playing.

To complete the picture you'd have to hear my "fusion" playing and my writing. Most people 'round these parts, who've been around long enough, associate me as a rockin' fusion player. Not quite like other fusion players. But I've been trying to get that out of my blood. And generally speaking, there's no room for that in this band. I also take standards trios, quartets out. But for years and years I wrote my own music and did my "fusion" thing. Fusion like Metheny is fusion, though it wasn't quite like him either. Maybe I'll post a tune on the MP3 forum.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaczac View Post
Hey Henry some great piano playing there... too bad about the guitarist...

Ok I kid . Nice playing, it's always fun putting some music to a name.
Thanks! Joe Gilman is a terrific musician. We've been playing together for some going on 20 years! Damn.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to like Pat Martino a long time ago. I mean I still like him, but I don't listen to him any more. I really don't listen to guitarists. Not that I shouldn't, but I'm more inspired by hiorn players and piano players. Martino is great. But, for me, sometimes he falls into that jazz guitar monotone drone. All 8th notes, all similarly articulated. He turns every chord into a minor one, I think, so he has a similar reference point to everything. I think he's absolutely great. Maybe I listened too much to him too long ago . . .
Yes I know what you mean I have a cd where one or two of the tracks are superb but there doesn't seem to be enough variety in his playing for it to be completely satisfying. I think my two fave guitarists are probably Wes montgomery and John Scofield.....scofield I find pretty consistent from release to release....although I'm talking about stuff done over the last decade or so. I'm not a massive metheny fan......although I did catch a gig of his about ten years ago in NY City which was memorable....but for me it was the whole band. I just think that guitar synth thing is really played out now.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

I think this is what I was supposed to do.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mp3-u...ony-tunes.html

Butterfly - here is a ballad I wrote. Once A Gaucho. And "An Uncommon Prayer". None were done with my remote rig. My fusiony self.

But the stuff I really played, unfortunately, hasn't been recorded. I'm going to have to do a CD of that, even though it's passed.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

butterfly -

I'm a big Sco fan. I opened for him once! That was exciting. I think of him as the Monk of guitar. Quirky and very musical. I dig his playing on Joe Hendersons "So Near, So Far" and his own "Time on My Hands".

I'm a big Metheny fan. "Bright Size Life" was such an influential record. In many ways he's more of a writer, but his thing is MUSIC. He's so much more than just guitar, which is what I love. Guitar is pretty one dimensional as a musical experience. I mean it doesn't have to be, if that's your experience!

I never got into Wes. We did a show of Wes' music and that was the most I'd been exposed to it. I mean, I think he's phenomenal- very lyrical and creative. But I was into Sonny Rollins and Coltrane.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Wink

henry
no broadband here
will wait until I take my powerbook into town...
Can you post one of your verbal rants
as that was how this thread started

ps did you use your metric halo gear for any of the recordings???
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
henry
no broadband here
will wait until I take my powerbook into town...

ps did you use your metric halo gear for any of the recordings???
Yeah. Metric Halo. Plus 13 channels of Millennia pres. I got some improvemenst that can be heard on some of the later recordings(not posted). ALSO these are roughs for the band. If we decide to release some live CDs I'll mix them for real.

rant, rant, rant . . .
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Henry, Just to add reinforcement to the others who've already posted here, thanks for sharing. You've got great chops & an excellent band there! Nice sounding recordings also BTW.

thumbsup
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks kingdaddy-o! Your pre edited post was cool too!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
henry
I post a rant. It's a bitch to record and play. On the live recordings I almost always have help. Either Bunny Knutson, Greg Slusser or Eric Gale or combinations. So we set up the mics and I set up the pres, interfaces, computer. Then during rehearsal, if there is one, we check things. There have been a few disasters! But I throw off my engineer hat and put on the musician hat. And I make that announcement. I look to those guys and say, "I'm now wearing my musician hat!" Which means they've got to figure it out. Which has led to disasterous mistakes a few times, so I don't know that I can do that any more, depending on who I'm using . . .

But for some of those other remotes, like the Ann Pedersens CD, I do it all. And the guitar s the last thing I pick up. Headphones, settings, mics . . . I'm also sightreading tis music 95% of the time! So a song like "No More Blues" which is nuts, and it may not sound like it but that song is HARD to play, I had to have the band run through three times, which was kind of embarrassing. I mean, I'd never played it before! I just hope they understand that I couldn't warm up on this stuff. And getting your mind into PLAYING and not engineering is a mind bender.
Old 29th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
henry
I beg to differ.

I'm not trying to reduce the wind in Henry's rants, but...

FYI, I started this thread by posting a link to the Jarrett youtube piece.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Yes, there's no reducing my wind, apparently, but I was going to say I had nothing to do with starting this thread. I only came on board, full steam on page 3 . . .
Old 29th August 2007
Super Moderator

...You know what I'm sayin'
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

No, no! I KNOW what you're saying. I wasn't making a poke at you!
Old 29th August 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
No, no! I KNOW what you're saying. I wasn't making a poke at you!
No, I hear you loud and clear my man.

“Ya know what I’m sayin'” was a rhetorical question.

"Know what I'm sayin'
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Talking

henry

no written rant
an audio media rant even a mp3 rant
just like mr remoteness said
this thread started with a youtube piece
a jarrett rant
and you had already done enough written ranting anyway...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search