The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

SOUND DEVICES... I seriously need to rant!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Talking SOUND DEVICES... I seriously need to rant!!!

Cant stand them, arrogant, rude and generally unhelpful, unless you walk in and you make it clear you have heaps of cash or you own a mac. They are so mac-biased its really funny. i will avoid them if I can at all costs.
Turrumurra are better i feel.
Ok, ive had my rant, feel better.
Chymer
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer
Cant stand them, arrogant, rude and generally unhelpful, unless you walk in and you make it clear you have heaps of cash or you own a mac. They are so mac-biased its really funny. i will avoid them if I can at all costs.
Turrumurra are better i feel.
Ok, ive had my rant, feel better.
Chymer
I used to find them so- that was ages ago.
Tehre used to be a guy there called Steve who worked there who suddenly died- he was ok at times- but yes I found them to be bloody useless.
Turra were great.
I worked at Eastside Music for ages- but they ended up going out of business.
What do you think of Intermusic Bondi ?

JR
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Intermusic were cool, they would let me try stuff and i liked the guys, i havent been there in ages though, must pop in again.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

I found sound devices a few weeks ago when my band flew to sydney for a show and I was walking around, looking for somewhere to buy some guitar strings. The shop was a hell of a lot smaller than i expected and the service- what service? I could be easily convinced to buy a control surface right now and I was standing at a bunch of them for half an hour or more, looking very interested but they ignored me for ages. When I did go ask them a question or two, it was all yes/no answers and they weren't sllightly interested in helping me out.
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein
they ignored me for ages. When I did go ask them a question or two, it was all yes/no answers and they weren't sllightly interested in helping me out.
I've found that to be the case in most London dealers. Basically they aren't interested unless you are kitting out an entirely new SSL - PTHD studio.
I've bought a few things from 'Devices' and they were quite good.
Where else is there to go anyway? Is Turra really better?
(If so, I'll take my business there).
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Chrisso, Sound Device is in Sydney Australia and yes Turrumurra are nicer and want to help the customer however little they want to spend, so yes they are better....
SOUND DEVICES, in sydney, are ******s!!!
fuuck
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein

I could be easily convinced to buy a control surface right now and I was standing at a bunch of them for half an hour or more, looking very interested but they ignored me for ages. When I did go ask them a question or two, it was all yes/no answers and they weren't sllightly interested in helping me out.
On the other hand it sucks not being able to spend time in a store just browsing and studying gear, without a sales person hounding you.

I've always had great service at Sound Devices - even though I've never spent heaps of cash there. Then again I've only ever dealt with 'Paul' who's really knowledgable and patient in talking things through with you. I always make a point of waiting for him to answer more in-depth questions. There's some younger new guys that seem nice enough too.

Anyway, I guess I have a little sympathy for them. Now that I've discovered some of the great online dealers in the U.S., it's hard to support the local crew. Then again price is a wole nother debate to service.

Just another perspective on the store anyway - though I'm sure others experiences are perfectly valid as well.

Cheers - Rez
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
I worked at Eastside Music for ages- but they ended up going out of business.

JR
I played drums in a Sydney band called Yeah Yeah Yeah in the early Nineties. The bass player managed Eastside - Bruce ????? Can't quite remember his surname. Great guy, from Adelaide originally. Gave me a great deal on a Maton acoustic. He also had a freakish AC30 which one of the guitarists from The Church used to tour with.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have never been bothered to get gear from there.
There are alot cheaper places around, thou my old boss was pretty good mats with one of the guys down there.

I wonder if it would be worth becoming a dealer for some of these high end companies that we can't seem to get in Oz and run a internet based store.
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Chrisso, Sound Device is in Sydney Australia
I know. I was making an attempt to say audio stores are much the same in London.
I have experience of both.
Quote:
and yes Turrumurra are nicer and want to help the customer however little they want to spend
Cool. I'll give them a try next time.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains

I wonder if it would be worth becoming a dealer for some of these high end companies that we can't seem to get in Oz and run a internet based store.
The thing is it would take a massive, massive investment and huge risk to get a respectable inventory. On the other hand, if you didn't run with an inventory then what advantages would you have over U.S. online dealers like mercenary or Calistro who have better scales of economy and established relationships with the top brands.

I think the key is to have one person in the U.S. that you deal with for all your high end stuff that's too expensive here. Someone who you know will look after you. Then have a store here that you use for big bulky items, small trivial items and those items that are reasonably priced.

That's my take anyway.

Cheers - Rez
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

sound devices really sux. after being in there once ot twice, i refused to step into there the entire time i was in sydney.fuuck

intermusic is so-so... not REALLY a pro audio shop... more guitars and home stuff.

AWAVES, aka AUDI CHOCOLATE is definitely the best, most pro-saavy and attitude-free
"showroom" dealers i've found in the country (they're in Camberwell, Melbourne which is convienient for me as i drive by there on the way to the studio every day.

Factory sound is overpriced!

Audio Oz is great for cabling needs, etc.

and of course Mick at Mixmaster is the country's main esoteric and vintage cool audio guy.

my two cents worth (and an obscene amount of spending behind the opinions!)
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

oops! i meant AUDIO CHOCOLATE, NOT AUDI CHOCOLATE
who wants to buy an audi when they can by AUDIO instead?!?!?dfegad
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Jonathan, just wondering if you've had a chance to demo the JLM TG pre??
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cant stand them, arrogant, rude and generally unhelpful, unless you walk in and you make it clear you have heaps of cash or you own a mac.
Dont feel too down... it has nothing to do with owning a mac... i run mac... and years ago once spent $6000 with them on a PT Farm card... the next week they had no idea who i was and didnt seem to give a crap as to what i wanted.
The only times ive gone in there are when NO-ONE else has what i need... and everytime.. i regret it.

Orginally they were the only Protools dudes in sydney... but now Turra music is into it and doing it pretty well... I always had a good working relationship with turra. I only deal with Mark and Ron. But they know who i am... they know what i do and they are genuinely interested in me as a customer and in looking after me long term! I wouldnt call them highend pro... but they do what they can for me.
On the higher end of things... i deal with Mick Wordley for the vintage gear... which is pretty much all i buy at the moment.

so yeah... i also give the guys at sound devices a
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thats strange, i found Factory Sound to beat most prices.
Hopefully this audio shop opening here on the coast isnt too far from done.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper
sound devices really sux. after being in there once ot twice, i refused to step into there the entire time i was in sydney.fuuck

intermusic is so-so... not REALLY a pro audio shop... more guitars and home stuff.

AWAVES, aka AUDI CHOCOLATE is definitely the best, most pro-saavy and attitude-free
"showroom" dealers i've found in the country (they're in Camberwell, Melbourne which is convienient for me as i drive by there on the way to the studio every day.

Factory sound is overpriced!

Audio Oz is great for cabling needs, etc.

and of course Mick at Mixmaster is the country's main esoteric and vintage cool audio guy.

my two cents worth (and an obscene amount of spending behind the opinions!)
Wow such discontent "Its Audio Anarcy" "

Well this is what I have been saying for a long time since the late 80's and its the magor reason I buy stuff OS.
I worked at Intermusic a ways back and a nice chunk of thier bussiness is selling things to pissed off sound devices customers, I dont know what Lewis and Micheal are doing down there but they have alot of discontented people because of attitude and poor shop service. Intermusic does sell and can get most high end stuff but if you have been there you cant swing a cat and stocking such stuff is expensive and risky in the current economic climate with such a limited market in Australia. The trouble with Australian wholesalers and retailers are they are too greedy and have had a captive audience for years so the mark up to compensate.
You can save $300 plus landed to your door tax/duty/frieght paid on software items that you have been quoted a discouned price on here?????? Its a no brainer. I do training and consultancey for clients setting up studio's for people. If they are smart they get me in early and I work with thier buget to source the gear and build a turnkey that saves my fee pluss plenty They end up with an unbiased useable rig that is scalable and functional, not what the retailer is pushing this month. In my honest opinion most (not all) people working selling audio gear in Sydney have stuff all studio recording expierience and have no idea. They go off the stuff on the manufactrers websites and probably havnt even turned them on. If they have been to SAE (Systematic Audio Extortion) it is even more scary because they know just enough to be dangerous.

In my opinion use (and I apologise to the other states because I am not familuar)
Audio Chocolate
Mixmasters
intermusic

Regards
Ricky
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

In slight defence of Sound Devices they are usually busy on the phone which is why it appears that they couldn't give a stuff about the customer in the shop. Which in itself is bad business. But, when shopping for packages they've beaten intermusic and Turramurra even though I'd have been more than happy to spend elsewhere.

Also, over the years they've made an absolute killing on pro tools which is what the principals concentrate on but those days may be numbered in more ways than one so perhaps they'll get their act together for the rest of their product line

However they need to :relocate, parking is a nightmare and expensive.
have dedicated phone staff and dedicated shop staff.

Personally, I find Matt Lord to be fine to deal with, ymmv. A.N Other who's often in the shop is a vibe killer.

Turramurra have always been good and I've dealt with Mark since his days at sunburst in Coogee but - it's in Turramurra!! Not exactly a pop in and have a look location!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Avoid both.
Buy from Alto, Sweetwater, Sound Pure, Mercenary etc. Land everything heaps cheaper (including Fedex to your door & taxes).
Buy step-down converters if necessary and take a risk on the warranty (it's only 365 days anyway!). In any event most of the high-end stuff is built like a tank and designed to last a whole lot longer than 12 months!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I bought a second-hand Motor Mix controller from Sound Devices via the 'Net a while back. Sure, the sales dude was surly but - and I lived in Sydney for many years and like the place - service in Sydney is often surly.

Anyways, the unit arrived as expected, performed as expected.

I'm not doubting everyone else's experiences, just recounting mine.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky
I worked at Intermusic a ways back and a nice chunk of thier bussiness is selling things to pissed off sound devices customers,

.... Intermusic does sell and can get most high end stuff but if you have been there you cant swing a cat and stocking such stuff is expensive and risky in the current economic climate with such a limited market in Australia.
My only experiences with Intermusic have sucked too. They dont even blip on my radar for a serious thought in ever going back there. I do not appreciated being treated like a chump... even if there is a small chance i might be one!

and the excuse for Sound devices that they are always on the phone doesnt hold up either... when i ring them i get no service. when i go in there i get no service. They are rude. Simple and plain rude.

as a contrast... when i ring Mick or any of the boys at Mixmasters... they are more than happy to talk... even if they are obviously busy. They make me feel valued as a customer and will even give me advice on gear if it means they lose a sale cos they recomend something else. I've already commented earlier on my relationship with turra. and they aint too far from me.. im out in the hills district... and at least they have parking! if i lived in the city i think id rather drive to turramurra than sussex street!!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone
and the excuse for Sound devices that they are always on the phone doesnt hold up either... when i ring them i get no service. when i go in there i get no service. They are rude. Simple and plain rude.....

.....if i lived in the city i think id rather drive to turramurra than sussex street!!
As I said a slight excuse!

There's not much in it - the last few times I went to Sound Devices I walked, I couldn't be bothered even trying to park.
Old 11th May 2006
Lou Judson
My Sound Devices 744T rocks! Best recorder I ever had.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

Sounds like you're talking about radio shucks... Must be a store or something?

<L>
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Avoid both.
Buy from Alto, Sweetwater, Sound Pure, Mercenary etc. Land everything heaps cheaper (including Fedex to your door & taxes).
Buy step-down converters if necessary and take a risk on the warranty (it's only 365 days anyway!). In any event most of the high-end stuff is built like a tank and designed to last a whole lot longer than 12 months!
That's exactly what I do as well. Why bother with the hassle of dealing with unprofessional music shops and dealers in Australia? In my experience the service is usally second rate and the prices are a joke. I like to support Australian businesses but only if they are competitive on service and price.

Having said that, I've found Turramurra to be OK (sevice is passable, price is usually good). In my one dealing with Lewis from Audio Chocolate I found him to be OK as well.

From what I've heard and from reading this thread I won't ever be going to Sound Devices.

I've bought from Mercenery and found them to be first rate. I had a problem with a mic I bought from them and they covered the cost of Fedexing it back to the States and sending the replacement back to Sydney. No questions asked. A few weeks later I bought a Hardy preamp from them. They really understand the importance of customer service.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Cant stand them, arrogant, rude and generally unhelpful
No you're not the only one. My experience exactly - except for Matt and Felix ( who probably left long ago ) and another young guy who's name I don't know.

Turra IS much better.... At least they'll try and they won't hesitate to order something high end if you ask them.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Looks like Mat should set up his own store, he is the only good guy at SD, the others are ummmm well, tossers to be precise. I've spent thousands there and they still treat me like ****. fuuck dfegad
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ha Ha Ha

Looks like Sound Devices, Turramurra Music and Spectrasonics all have the same WEB DESIGNER.

Their splash / home pages are very very similar tutt

Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Awave is the best, professional audio gear supplier in Australia period.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper
I played drums in a Sydney band called Yeah Yeah Yeah in the early Nineties. The bass player managed Eastside - Bruce ????? Can't quite remember his surname. Great guy, from Adelaide originally. Gave me a great deal on a Maton acoustic. He also had a freakish AC30 which one of the guitarists from The Church used to tour with.
Bruce Thomas is his name- last I heard he was working at intermusic with Brent Williams.
I worked with Bruce for a year or so- very cool guy- I spent most of that year drunk, I think.
I know that AC30- yeah it's insane.

JR
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Awave, big thumbs up for them.
Mixmasters has helped me out the past few months with gear.
Legacy Audio great for API gear, good prices too.

I'm interested in finding out how other peoples expierences were with Soundpure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search