The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

SOUND DEVICES... I seriously need to rant!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's amazing when some people get a great deal from a dealer, they still dump on them for what .......business ethics. Did you not get a good deal??????????
If I can get a great buy from local or OS or second hand or Ebay, I'm there.

Nick
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Aearth,

Quite the opposite, my main local dealer/retailer has on occasion voluntarily done "deals" for us which has left them with almost zero profit..........the benefit of having had a good relationship for many years and if you re-read my post you should realise my comments are aimed squarely at the importer/distributor segment of the industry and their all to frequent claim that shipping and import duties are to blame for high RRPs.

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiString
Aearth,

Quite the opposite, my main local dealer/retailer has on occasion voluntarily done "deals" for us which has left them with almost zero profit..........the benefit of having had a good relationship for many years and if you re-read my post you should realise my comments are aimed squarely at the importer/distributor segment of the industry and their all to frequent claim that shipping and import duties are to blame for high RRPs.

Sorry I misread your post.

Nick
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRS
I want to put a shameless plug in for Brisound. They have always given me a reasonable price. It sometimes may not be as cheap as importing it, but I know the guys are willing to help out if something goes wrong, and do everything in there power to get me back up and running again.

And its not the retailers to blame for the prices most of the time, its the distributors that set the RRP and then give the retailers bugger all off the price.

Jason
Big up SJRS!!! Thanks for the plug man.... & Moogus.

& just one more shameless plug.... we're looking to have the A Designs Pacifica in the next week so if anyone's interested in having a play, give me a shout. There's a queue forming so you'll have to take a number though.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Big up SJRS!!!
And a "Big Up" for Grevillea in Brisbane (where SJRS does some of his finest) who have provided me with exemplary service with SADiE and Weiss gear.

They also carry Gefell and have been most helpful when I needed to audition.

Grevillea are the real deal.

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

a balance....

well.. i have to bring a small.. very small balance to the Sound devices issues...
I bought 'something' there the other day... not because i like to shop there... but because they had something very cheap that i couldnt find anywhere else... surprise! and i must admit...
the 'certain sales person' was very friendly and i was attended to as i walked in the door.
all in all... it was almost a pleasant experience...
maybe someone down there is reading this post... if so... well done to you guys...
now... this pleasant experience has to happen OVER and OVER and OVER again to make up for every annoying experience ive had down there...

but i for one will give you kudos for the other day.

keep it up...
Old 11th August 2006
Gear Maniac

I think the best way to deal with Sound Devices is to get in their face, so to speak. Be very forward, "I want this" etc. That seems to work.

But having said that I was recommended by an American Manufacturer to ask SD for some replacement parts (bulbs). They didn't have them, which is fine, but didn't want to take it any further, like maybe ordering in the parts. Weird. And a pretty bad representative for the US company.
Old 21st August 2006
Here for the gear

Becoming a dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains View Post
I have never been bothered to get gear from there.
There are alot cheaper places around, thou my old boss was pretty good mats with one of the guys down there.

I wonder if it would be worth becoming a dealer for some of these high end companies that we can't seem to get in Oz and run a internet based store.
Hey Beck,

I am beginning to think this is a great idea. I've been chasing some gear for the 500 Series API setup, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in helping me out. Probably because I only want a couple of items to start with, and maybe the dealers don't find it worth their while. But what about when the lunch box is full, will that have added up to make me a worthwhile customer?

I'm looking for an OSA lunchbox, an API 512C pre, and a Buzz Audio Elixir (to start with). Seems hard to get them at the one place. I live in country NSW, so I've been trying to find stuff over the net. I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for emails that never get a reply, or dealers who want to know what someone else is charging so they can beat the price. I don't think that's how it works.

I've been told by some people to just buy from the US, but then you face customs duty which doesn't make it financially viable.

This is turning into quite the whinge, isn't it?

Anyhoo, if anyone wants to sell me a Buzz Audio Elixir, an Old School Audio Lunchbox, and an API 512-C preamp, I'm cashed up and ready to go.

Jerb..
Old 6th September 2006
Here for the gear

I second that 100 fold. Horrible service.
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbtracey.com View Post
Hey Beck,

I am beginning to think this is a great idea. I've been chasing some gear for the 500 Series API setup, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in helping me out. Probably because I only want a couple of items to start with, and maybe the dealers don't find it worth their while. But what about when the lunch box is full, will that have added up to make me a worthwhile customer?

I'm looking for an OSA lunchbox, an API 512C pre, and a Buzz Audio Elixir (to start with). Seems hard to get them at the one place. I live in country NSW, so I've been trying to find stuff over the net. I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for emails that never get a reply, or dealers who want to know what someone else is charging so they can beat the price. I don't think that's how it works.

I've been told by some people to just buy from the US, but then you face customs
duty which doesn't make it financially viable.

This is turning into quite the whinge, isn't it?

Anyhoo, if anyone wants to sell me a Buzz Audio Elixir, an Old School Audio Lunchbox, and an API 512-C preamp, I'm cashed up and ready to go.

Jerb..
Aussie Links

For API
http://www.legacyaudio.com.au/index.php

For Buzz
http://www.gbg-technology.com/index.html

For OSA you need to go USA direct.

I have some OSA pres, 2 x MP1 L3 and they are great.

For A-Design
http://www.brisound.com.au/home/default.asp

Hope this helps

Nick
Old 6th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Just to concur with SJRS for Cris @ Brisound, not only does he know his gear hes a great guy also!
He looked after me in the past and i will be a repetitive buyer from there.
Old 6th September 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
Aussie Links

For API
http://www.legacyaudio.com.au/index.php

For Buzz

For OSA you need to go USA direct.

I have some OSA pres, 2 x MP1 L3 and they are great.

For A-Design
http://www.brisound.com.au/home/default.asp

Hope this helps

Nick

Thanks Nick. It does. I'll keep everyone posted on how my dealings go.

Jerb..

P.S. Jules (the administrator has put a few reminders about to put AUSTRALIA in your profile location so they can keep us informed of 'local' stuff..
Old 16th May 2007
Gear Nut

As in the words of prodigy.....

"I’m the trouble starter, punkin’ instigator
I’m the fear (C'mon GEAR) addicted, danger illustrated

I’m a firestarter, twisted firestarter
You’re the firestarter, twisted firestarter

I’m the bitch you hated, filth (C'mon GEAR) infatuated – yeah
I’m the pain you tasted, well intoxicated

I’m the self inflicted, mind detonator – yeah
I’m the one infected, twisted animator

I’m a firestarter, twisted firestarter"

Mmmmmm...... It it goes full Circle.
Old 17th May 2007
Here for the gear

have to say, I've been dealing with sound devices for years now, and they've been great. Matt in particular has always bent over backwards to get me sorted out, and has helped with lending gear, letting me try stuff out, and answering questions for me that weren't going to get him direct sales. they do get busy, but i think you have to bear in mind that it's a small business and most of the questions and set ups are very hours-instensive. I haven't used turra or intermusic for ages, so i don't have much of a comparison to go by, but just thought the guys were getting a bit of a bad rap. not trying to say the other stories aren't true, just thought i'd get a positive experience in there as well.
Old 19th May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
My only experiences with Intermusic have sucked too. They dont even blip on my radar for a serious thought in ever going back there. I do not appreciated being treated like a chump... even if there is a small chance i might be one!
yep had to go home and back twice cos they were like that to me,

they have ****e ears too. maybe thats why i was only heard after shouting contest.
Old 19th May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
According to the Focusrite website, the Australian distributor is listed as Electric Factory in Melbourne. Perhaps somebody from their company can help us all out with an answer?
Dont exspect any help or a useable warranty when dealing with them

dfegadElectric Factory = Tightarse ******s
Old 19th May 2007
Gear Addict

From past experience id rather deal with an ebay seller than an Australia retailer regardless of price, the negative feedback option at least gives them a bit of accountability
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey guys,

Looks like some of the Aussie distributors are finally listening-the latest ad for Turramurra Music in Audio Technology announces that there are new lower
prices for all Focusrite products.

Hmmm maybe I'll go back and have a look before I order off-shore again!
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentb0b View Post
have to say, I've been dealing with sound devices for years now, and they've been great. .
hi silentb0b

lucky you because sound devices officially = assholes in my book

i went in there with the intention to blow a bit of cash.

i asked to listen to a ****, they gave me a pair of $20 headphones and when i asked to listen to it on a pair of reasonable monitors, i was given a death stare from hell.

while i was checking the synth, the entire staff were having a competition as to who could laugh or shout or talk **** the loudest.

following that they weren't able to demo a ***** to me properly so they suggested I rent one. long story short, i ended up paying rental for a defective unit that should have been loaned out as a free trial in the first place.

i agree with the comment above suggesting they would prefer dealing with an ebay merchant.

ive had nothing buy love with all my interactions with merchants on there.

oh for what it's worth i bought a heavily discounted **** from a shop in Melbourne for even less and they chopped the shipping, they billed me a day late... (wow big deal) but they were very nice and quite cheery on the phone.
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Addict

SOUND DEVICES...am I the only one....?

well i found them helpful and ive also borrowed alot of highend gear from there i mean 10 grand rack worth of gear many times. i have spent alot of money there i must say, but to lend people gear with no hire charge is beyond helpful in my book, it lets you try out expensive gear before you buy, now how can you do that at mercenary audio i ask? thumbsup
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
there are new lower prices for all Focusrite products.

Hmmm maybe I'll go back and have a look before I order off-shore again!
Whoa, Check out the new ISA pricing !!!!!
Old 22nd May 2007
Here for the gear

I really hope the new focusrite pricing is good.
The Electric Factory prices were, well, rediculous!

Kim
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDog View Post
well i found them helpful and ive also borrowed alot of highend gear from there i mean 10 grand rack worth of gear many times. i have spent alot of money there i must say, but to lend people gear with no hire charge is beyond helpful in my book, it lets you try out expensive gear before you buy, now how can you do that at mercenary audio i ask? thumbsup
i have personally spent maybe 10k in there and took a friend to spend 10k there (in one hit) so i dont know why theyre giving some customers good service and others poor service.

i had to frekkin pay for a buggy unit to TRY it... that's like the total opposite of your experience.
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

My last visit to SD was'nt too bad, I think they may have read this thread before I went, who knows. A little good will and friendly customer service goes a long long way. They got the 2nd part right this time anyway.
Old 14th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Sound Devices Sweep Customer Services Awards 2007

sorry about the header just my lame sense of humor.

i think it all depends upon who you speak with down there. i make sure i deal with a person called paul. always v. helpful and v. friendly and v. knowedgable especially on keyboards/virtual paino related stuff. even though i am shopping in the under $1000 market. i wish i followed his advice ..spend more $$ and get a fully weighted keyboard.....

however i agree it does not have warm &welcoming vibe. not one of those audio places you drop into to talk about audio issues on your mind.

yes turra music more firendly. they were great when i was auditioning monitors.repeat visits to audition was no issues at all.

i must also give a plug for the new company setting up in sydney called soundcorp. they were incredibly helpful when auditioning ADAM monitors. cannot say how much i have liked dealing with them, cameron actually arranaged to take the adam monitors to a friend's studio to audition them in the best possible environment and to allow me to A/B them with the mix monitors in the room (BM6A)

AND he bought a six pack with him on friday afternoon!!!!!! i really wish soundcorp stocked the monitors i eventually went with. anyway cannot speak too highly of those guys. they even offered to send up some MOPADS from melbourne when i needed them in a hurry despite making almost ZERO $$ on the deal. really great people.

Spek
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

I'll actually put in a plug for "GBG Technology" they are great guys to buy from, very helpfull indeed.
Old 19th June 2007
Gear Head

Hey Heath

Thanks man - will you take a cheque for that or is it still the old brown paper envelope!

Cheers
Scotty
Old 19th June 2007
Here for the gear

I'm backing Heath up here. Scotty at GBG is a real pleasure to deal with. (Just post me a cheque) No, but seriously, I've been buying some gear through Scotty at GBG and it's all smooth sailing. Great service, they really look after you.

I'll put in a plug for Daniel at Legacy Audio who also sold me some gear. He's spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me, talking shop.

I'd buy from those two again without even flinching.... Except for when I tell my lovely lady how much I've spent this time...

Jerb..
Old 2nd July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer View Post
Cant stand them, arrogant, rude and generally unhelpful, unless you walk in and you make it clear you have heaps of cash or you own a mac. They are so mac-biased its really funny. i will avoid them if I can at all costs.
Turrumurra are better i feel.
Ok, ive had my rant, feel better.
Chymer

Turramurra are awesome and sound devices sh!t me to tears, never bought anything from them never will.

Adiran @ turra always takes good care of me.

I should also mention they are on the other side of Sydney from me... so i travel over an hour to shop there... they are that good.
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Nut

I realise this thread actually might come down to Personality Conflicts... I work in retail , and trust me , it aint all roses...

We all are different people ... And we dont all get on ... (except Ozzi GS) Its plain and Simple..

What ever works for U , Me and ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search