The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Patti LaBelle on (GMA) the Today Show...WOW!!
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Nut

Talking Patti LaBelle on (GMA) the Today Show...WOW!!

I caught Patti LaBelle this morning on the today show. Man! that lady can sing her butt off. Brought the audience to tears doing some very strong and emotional Gospel.

She has a new CD out. Anyone know anything about the new recording?
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I caught Patti LaBelle this morning on the today show. Man! that lady can sing her butt off. Brought the audience to tears doing some very strong and emotional Gospel.

ii don't work with her anymore ..she was dropped by MCA then DEaF SOUL..I know the last thing she did was pretty lame both in material and recording..sometimes it's better to burn out than fade away

I did the strings for one song on the last album as no one producing it had a clue about cutting them [i mean come on strings are easier than drums]

her vocals were so overcompressed and distorted/off mic at times on the tune i worked on that i mentioned it to the producer and they recut the vox [hmm why did no one else hear it?.]..sad when someone who has worked with people like gamble and huff, arif and prince goes downhill
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
ii don't work with her anymore ..she was dropped by MCA then DEaF SOUL..I know the last thing she did was pretty lame both in material and recording..sometimes it's better to burn out than fade away

I did the strings for one song on the last album as no one producing it had a clue about cutting them [i mean come on strings are easier than drums]

her vocals were so overcompressed and distorted/off mic at times on the tune i worked on that i mentioned it to the producer and they recut the vox [hmm why did no one else hear it?.]..sad when someone who has worked with people like arif and prince goes downhill
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry you're not working with her anymore. Must have been very exciting working for her.
Yeah, she's been around for quite a while and perhaps some mediocre producing/engineering creeps in here and there but what I heard today from her was kick ass!! Passion, emotion, range and damn fine pitch. I don't know her age but she can still command a vocal performance. She recently released a Gospel album.

Anyone currently involved with or know about her new recording?
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry you're not working with her anymore. Must have been very exciting working for her.
Yeah, she's been around for quite a while and perhaps some mediocre producing/engineering creeps in here and there but what I heard today from her was kick ass!! Passion, emotion, range and damn fine pitch. I don't know her age but she can still command a vocal performance. She recently released a Gospel album.

Anyone currently involved with or know about her new recording?

i am really surprised because as she got older she had some real intonation problems due to hearing loss..

ya mean she didn't "go to church" in the first verse? we had to tire her out to get her to sing straight meledey in the first verses of songs

[we died [g levert and myself] when she did gerald leverts production [shoe on the other foot] on leno and she went to chuch in v1 never esyablishing meledy on a NEW SONG no one had heard]

she has great pipes..i engineered for her 15 years in the studio [from beverly hills cops on out] and did the live at the Appolo CD and assited for her for 3 years prior to that

gld to here she still pumps it out!

i am just dissappointed that she doesn't use the A team players anymore..i don't think aretha would put herself in situations patti does

that being said i was a contributor to her book and she always treated me like family in the studio and at private events
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Sig,

I'm a little puzzled...
She doesn't seem to have extreme pitch problems live. Sounded pretty respectable on the BET awards... that tribute to Gerald Levert was awesome!
Sounds like she needs a label that respects her enough to surround her with "A-List" people, and a producer whom she respects enough to take direction from.

I once observed her singing in the studio in the late MCA days... it surprised me how quietly she sang, but it sounded so powerful across the mic. Seth Riggs speech-level singing?

Regardless, "If Only You Knew" is to me, a hallmark of the Philly sound and an incredible recording of a classic performance and a masterpiece of an arrangement.
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i am really surprised because as she got older she had some real intonation problems due to hearing loss..
fuuck that is just rude. tutt
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

I have a 12" single of "new day" with dance mixes on def soul from 2005 I think thats pretty good. The vocals were re-done for the remixes though.
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools View Post
Sig,

I'm a little puzzled...
She doesn't seem to have extreme pitch problems live. Sounded pretty respectable on the BET awards... that tribute to Gerald Levert was awesome!
Sounds like she needs a label that respects her enough to surround her with "A-List" people, and a producer whom she respects enough to take direction from.

I once observed her singing in the studio in the late MCA days... it surprised me how quietly she sang, but it sounded so powerful across the mic. Seth Riggs speech-level singing?

Regardless, "If Only You Knew" is to me, a hallmark of the Philly sound and an incredible recording of a classic performance and a masterpiece of an arrangement.
that was cynthia biggs and dexter wansel writing and producing..i think my old man might have mixed that..i was prob still doing dance remixes then

was it during the ernie singleton days at mca?..ernie ws a great guy

i was out there recording near the mca end times to ..she split her time bet us at sound castle and and at mad hatter with another producer/eng team

patti has a hearing prob that affercts her pitch.. her pitch is great when she can hear herself and the pad

QUIETLY!!!??? musta been for a big producer she layed down for because i had to do 30 dB rides on the fader to the limiter and then that might still spike a 10 here or there
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
fuuck that is just rude. tutt
why is that?

personal stuff would be in poor taste ..you can go to a show and hear intonation
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I have a 12" single of "new day" with dance mixes on def soul from 2005 I think thats pretty good. The vocals were re-done for the remixes though.
yeah don't know why they didn't cut the stuff rifght outta the box for her...patti is an A team artist..she deserves better
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah! She can get loud!
I once saw her at the Budweiser Superfest in the Rose Bowl (how's THAT for dating myself?). Once she kicked off her shoes, she just kept singing.... and singing... and singing.... set is over an mics are cut and she's offstage and you can still hear her, LOL!

I think your Pop did mix that record. I love the sparseness of it... what a drum track!
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

that song sat in the CAN for 2 years and cynthia the writer was living in her CAR when she wrote and recorded it..then they drop the tune and 2 mil sold

personally i like patti the ballad singer

on my own, if only you knew, somebody loves, when you been blessed.. etc...

during the appolo show she put down the wireless and belts to the crowd..it looks great on the dvd [i didn't do sound for that] but on the cd i recorded it's messed up because you don't see the visual cue so it sounds like her mic went out
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Addict

fun starts at minus 4: 40

Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaneer View Post

.....".fun"....as..in?
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

one day i'll write a book ..but i'd have to move to antartica

great clips! btw thanks for the memories!
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
.....".fun"....as..in?
soul.. who feels it knows it
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
one day i'll write a book ...
you should do that
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
soul.. who feels it knows it
In that case, I hear you.......and especially her....Bless her and Aretha
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Guru

Sorry, im more into Billy Bragg, Tender Commrade.....
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

That lady has been blessed with talent beyond beleif
Cool video footage. She still has the stuff!
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

I'll never forget seeing Patti, Cindi Lauper, and Amy Grant on some sort of TV special. Quite long with them all together, various pairs, and solo.

That was some time ago, but no hearing problem then. But she can get into the melisma thing to excess (for MY tastes).

But when she is on.....listen to the REAL Lady Marmalade. No fooling around, just belting it out. Strangley, the relatively recent remake for the movie (to me) sounds like the worst of Patti.

Takes me back to Pizza Hut in 1975. Real juke box with ZZ Tops 'Just Got Paid' and David Essex 'Rock On'.
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyQz0dnndFw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyQz0dnndFw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Boy she got more than 'Chops' she's got the whole Butchers, great stuff!
Old 29th June 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Boy she got more than 'Chops' she's got the whole Butchers, great stuff!
man that lady can sing her behind off. lol she walked away from the mic and was STILL blarring!! amazing, where can i find a singer like that?
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy655 View Post
amazing, where can i find a singer like that?
Church... but there's only one Patti!
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

I also caught this mornings performance. She sounded amazing. No bad notes there.
Many singers should wish for her pitch/intonation. In fact I emailed Teddy Pendergrass to comment on the show. Patti recently performed at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia for a TP event. His exact words on her performance "She threw it down and stomped on it".
I also emailed a friend of mine Dave Ivory. He's been doing some work with her on the more recent recordings. I will be teaching at Drexel University's Audio boot camp with Dave in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can get some info on the recordings.

Quote:

Old 30th June 2007
Gear Nut

Cool responses. Thanks.
Anyone else know about her current recording?

Keep it positive...no sour notes...NO SOUR GRAPES.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I also caught this mornings performance. She sounded amazing. No bad notes there.
Many singers should wish for her pitch/intonation. In fact I emailed Teddy Pendergrass to comment on the show. Patti recently performed at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia for a TP event. His exact words on her performance "She threw it down and stomped on it".
I also emailed a friend of mine Dave Ivory. He's been doing some work with her on the more recent recordings. I will be teaching at Drexel University's Audio boot camp with Dave in a couple of weeks. I'll see if I can get some info on the recordings.
you just reinterated what i said in my previous posts..
Old 30th June 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:

I believe you mean "Good Morning America" not the "Today" Show.
She performed in Bryant Park live on ABC...

She was awesome. I really enjoyed her performance.
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Thanks Jamz. I'm guessing Dave Ivory is an engineer?
...and thanks for the correction Steve. You are correct.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool responses. Thanks.
Anyone else know about her current recording?

Keep it positive...no sour notes...NO SOUR GRAPES.
you make it sound as if we had a falling out because we don't work together anymore..that is the furthest from the truth [read my posts]

there aren't any sour grapes...a fact is a fact..she has told me numerous times how performing live has screwed up her hearing .again .if you read my posts i have the utmost respect for patti and her abilities..is this mr rogers where no one can say anything less than glowing about an artists performance?

i think thou dost have a thin skin... anything i would say here i would say to her face

PS

it's kinda like when i was doing a TV commercial and they hired Grover Washinton jr to play sax..the producer turned to me and asked why GW was outta tune..i turned to the guy and said..did ya ever lsiten to his recordings..you hire him for his tone and feel not his intonation.. [the guy was getting ready to have tell him he was flat..and i diffused the situation]

what i said was a readily admitted and apparent thing..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search