The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MixPre 10 II
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

MixPre 10 II

MixPre 10 II is on its way.

Never used an SD product before, so I have a couple noob questions.

1) Does the MixPre 10 II permit recording of stereo wavs, for example iso channels 1 & 2 linked together as a stereo pair, iso channels 3 & 4 linked as a stereo pair, etc.?

2) Whether "1" above is true or not (that is, whether channels can be recorded as stereo wavs, or not [the alternative being a poly-wav file]), can I use headphones to monitor pairs of linked iso channels (as opposed to being able to monitor only the stereo mix track)?

Thank you.

DG
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post

(...)can I use headphones to monitor pairs of linked iso channels (as opposed to being able to monitor only the stereo mix track)?

Thank you.

DG
This is even possible with the 1. generation MixPres
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And 700 series recorders.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

My experience, such as it is, is limited to location recording of classical acoustic ensembles. Never have done any video, and am unfamiliar with time codes, etc...

Except that I have gotten two Tascam DR-680s linked together via the S/PDIF connections.

So, I have two DR-680s (one 1st gen and one 2nd gen), and a MixPre-10 II on the way.

Is there a way to sync the MixPre-10 II to a DR-680MkII (to get additional synchronized tracks)?

I would speculate not, since I don't believe the MixPre-10II has any digital inputs. But, I don't really know. (I admit total ignorance.) Maybe there is some way to use the time code output from the MixPre 10II to sync the DR-680MkII.

Regards,

DG
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Never used an SD product before, so I have a couple noob questions.

1) Does the MixPre 10 II permit recording of stereo wavs, for example iso channels 1 & 2 linked together as a stereo pair, iso channels 3 & 4 linked as a stereo pair, etc.?

2) Whether "1" above is true or not (that is, whether channels can be recorded as stereo wavs, or not [the alternative being a poly-wav file]), can I use headphones to monitor pairs of linked iso channels (as opposed to being able to monitor only the stereo mix track)?

Thank you.

DG
If I'm mistaken on this, I'd be grateful if someone with the relevant experience of the 10T could explain how it's done or cite the page to read in the manual, but I believe the answer to your question 1 is no, it cannot. Coming from the Tascam units and recording classical ensembles, you'll appreciate the Tascam's giving you the option to record any pair of its six inputs as a stereo wav file. The Zoom F8 does likewise.

SD provides a free utility 'wave agent' that allows you to link any two iso tracks in post to create a stereo wav. Personally I'd much prefer having this option built into the recorder such that stereo pairs could be recorded as nature intended(!) and are immediately available to copy for a client, say.

The 10T does provide the option to link the gain of any of the channels, but not to record pairs as stereo wavs. If I'm mistaken I'll be happy to be corrected, as such functionality would be something I'd use a lot.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pk View Post
SD provides a free utility 'wave agent' that allows you to link any two iso tracks in post to create a stereo wav. Personally I'd much prefer having this option built into the recorder such that stereo pairs could be recorded as nature intended(!) and are immediately available to copy for a client, say.
Yes, but ironically SD affirms that "Note: Wave Agent does not support 32-bit Float files"

So my first run with the MixPre-6 II yesterday I used Audacity to break out the polywave files. Wave Agent and CD Wave are the only programs I have used lately that DON'T handle 32 bit float files.

Jeff
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My guess is that there will be a 32-floating update for SD's Wave Agent. Just guessing mind you.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

"So my first run with the MixPre-6 II yesterday I used Audacity to break out the polywave files."

That's what I was/am planning to do.

Just seems to me like... Why?

SD provides linking, and monitoring of stereo tracks built from two channels. Why make me go to the extra work, instead of just permitting stereo wavs to be recorded?

I mean that's what I do with recorders: record a bunch of stereo pairs for later processing in a DAW. Occasionally, a mono spot. But, stereo is my reality.

DG
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Worst case testing

I'm interested in doing a worst case scenario test to suss out MixPre 10 II poser consumption.

Not trying to simulate a practical real-world scenario, but a worst case.

Maximum microphone phantom current is 10ma. Is there such a thing as an XLR connector with built-in resistor to generate a 10ma load?

I'd like to get 8 of them, and stick one in each XLR input, and observe the length of time I get out of a freshly charged set of AA batteries.

OK, maybe it doesn't absolutely have to be 10ma, but you get the idea.

Would it be simple to make something like that? Perhaps a resistor between pins 2 & 3 and pin. With the resistor being= 48/.010 = 4.8K. (Closest standard value would be 4.7K)?

Comments welcome.

DG
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

MixPre-10 current draw? Is 1000ma reasonable?

I own an Powerex MH-9000 battery charger/analyzer. So, I tested the duration of discharge for some of my AA NiMH batteries. From a full charge, discharging at 1,000ma, I observe 150 minutes. That is, at 1000ma, I would have 2 1/2 hours of operating time.

Does anyone know how a 1,000ma current draw might compare with the range of current draws that might be encountered with a MixPre-10 II (or MixPre-10t)?

Thank you.

DG
Old 6 days ago
RPC
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm interested in doing a worst case scenario test to suss out MixPre 10 II poser consumption.

Not trying to simulate a practical real-world scenario, but a worst case.

Maximum microphone phantom current is 10ma. Is there such a thing as an XLR connector with built-in resistor to generate a 10ma load?

I'd like to get 8 of them, and stick one in each XLR input, and observe the length of time I get out of a freshly charged set of AA batteries.

OK, maybe it doesn't absolutely have to be 10ma, but you get the idea.

Would it be simple to make something like that? Perhaps a resistor between pins 2 & 3 and pin. With the resistor being= 48/.010 = 4.8K. (Closest standard value would be 4.7K)?

Comments welcome.

DG
Don't forget that there's already a 6k8 resistor on each leg inside the Mixpre. So use 1k4 (closest standard value 1k5).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search