The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HHB Portadrive 2000
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
HHB Portadrive 2000

Hi all - Does anyone here have first-hand experience of using the HHb Portadrive 2000 ? I am interested in people's first-hand experience of sound quality compared to other recorders and also helpful tricks and tips, ways people have used the mixer engines together etc..

I can hardly find any info on the internet other than some more technical industry reviews and the previous posts on here seemed to quickly change topic toward discussing the more common gear (as often happens with equipment that wasn't popular).

I do actually have one coming my way soon but as a budget user (it's costing me £350 with all the accessories) I don't get the chance to compare to other gear.. but perhaps others have?

It would be good to at least have one thread discussing people's experience of it somewhere on the internet, good or bad opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
HHB Portadrive 2000-pdr2000cutout.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The ones I heard sounded good. But as a former user of HHB gear I can tell you that their support was spotty at best, and since they stopped making equipment themselves quite a long time ago now service, parts and accs are hard to come by. Maybe check in with the current HHB company (an equipment vendor) if you haven't already and see what help they can be...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Thanks for that. Where did you hear them? At trade shows/demos on in use?

With regard to service or parts, I always puchase secondhand items like this with no expectation of any help form anyone, other than perhaps previous users and spare parts from old machines. Having said that, I might see if HHB still are able to provide v3.0 software if it's not fully up to date. I shall see! If they can send it, with their permision, I'd post it up somewhere for others.

The one I'm getting, appears to have a good few accessories, like a bag, three drive caddies, firewire caddie dock and a DVD drive. It's ex-educational equipment and looks like they bought a package originally.

You've prompted me into firing off an email to HHb .. so I will see how helpful they could actually be.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
A small update: HHb can provide firmware updates although say they can't service it any more.

Very responsive and helpful tech support though in the UK.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had a colleague who had 2, and did a few movies with them. Pretty clunky for bag use but on a cart just fine. They disappeared from production use pretty quickly in favor of other recorders. The media delivery was kind of a hassle compared with later machines, this was particularly an issue on long-form jobs. They were also pretty expensive. If you can get some drives that work with it, and if you can somehow get the thing to record to some form of flash media (cards, SSD) then it could work very well for a long time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search