The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Case for MixPre 10?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Case for MixPre 10?

I just ordered a MixPre 10 ii.

I use my recorders for location recording of local classical ensemble groups around town. Currently have a couple DR-680s.

I find it very convenient to use custom cases for the 680s, and I expected to buy something similar for the MixPre 10.

However, I saw the reviews at B&H for the Portabrace MixPre 10 case, and they are quite negative. Seems to be agreement that the case is too small, fits awkwardly, and blocks access to some controls. I think that it is unusual to see such negative comments about a Portabrace product.

Might anyone have a suggestion for a case for Sound Devices MixPre 10. I'm getting the series II, but presume the form factor is the same as the 1st generation.

For anyone that already has a MixPre 10T, or has ordered a series II, what are you using for a case/bag? Perhaps the reviewers of the Portabrace case for the 10T have been overly sensitive to minor issues.

Comments welcome.

Thank you.

DG

Last edited by dgpretzel; 2 weeks ago at 11:10 PM.. Reason: added comments
Old 2 weeks ago
I will not purchase any more portabrace products due to a horrible customer service experience. I purchased a bag for a camera that was far too small, despite being branded for that camera. Long story short, I was not able to get a refund or replacement. They don’t really make custom cases. They just rebrand whatever they think will fit and put a sticker over the product name. No wonder folks say the mixpre case doesn’t work right.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I use Pelican 1400 Case with foam
Good fit for this kit
Attached Thumbnails
Case for MixPre 10?-pelican.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is that case from SD? Did you cut the foam yourself? If you did, it looks like you did a great job.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Is that case from SD? Did you cut the foam yourself? If you did, it looks like you did a great job.

D.
I bought this case on Amazon.
I cut the foam myself, it is very easy, it initially has a ruler with cuts: it remains only to tear useless cells.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank you, Daniel, for the information regarding Portabrace. I had no idea. (Never bought any Portabrace products, and, somehow, just assumed that they were the exemplar of cases/bags. I don't really know how I got that impression.)

Thank you, linkevich. That looks like a great approach. It would work for me because I don't use my (shoulder strap) bags for operating, just for convenience and a (very tiny) modicum of protection.

DG
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

But, if I did want to operate from a bag, what bag would owners of a MixPre 10T suggest?

DG
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post
But, if I did want to operate from a bag, what bag would owners of a MixPre 10T suggest?

DG
Not for operate, for daily carrying tasks, I use a simple, branded bag from SD.
Only $15 (B&H)
Attached Thumbnails
Case for MixPre 10?-495a277b-c154-4c98-9b69-667550b377b0.jpg   Case for MixPre 10?-9da9a6a9-c421-448b-bbdd-7950007993fb.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkevich View Post
I use Pelican 1400 Case with foam
Good fit for this kit
I have a case like this that is kind of pre-cut. You can remove small cubes of pre-cut foam until it fits.
Thomann translates it:
"Convoluted foam and punched foam cubes on the bottom"
35,-

https://www.thomann.de/gb/flyht_pro_...ZSI6ImVuIn0%3D
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post

DG
Don't know if the mixpre 10 fits, mixpre 6 does...
200,-
https://www.thomann.de/gb/k_tek_stingray_mixpro.htm
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
I have a case like this that is kind of pre-cut. You can remove small cubes of pre-cut foam until it fits.
Thomann translates it:
"Convoluted foam and punched foam cubes on the bottom"
35,-

https://www.thomann.de/gb/flyht_pro_...ZSI6ImVuIn0%3D
These boxes are very similar.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

For a bag (like to operate from), it seems like there are two reasonable choices:
1) The K-Tek Stingray Junior
2) Orca OR-280

The Orca bag is newer than the Stingray-- I think less than a year old.

Both seem to have been designed with the MixPre 10 in mind. Especially, the Orca OR-280.

Might anyone have opinions concerning OR-280 vs. Stingray Junior, with respect to the SD MixPre 10. (I'm thinking that the series II form factor is the same as the 1st generation.)

Thank you.

DG
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search