The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , , , , ,

The results of my Virtual Gobo Technique during Live Rock Performance Capture
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Lightbulb The results of my Virtual Gobo Technique during Live Rock Performance Capture

In the world of mobile and on location recording it's all about the origination...

Here's a demonstration of a live performance capture of the (South Korean band,) Hyukoh which I recorded and engineered a while back.

This audio capture was for a five camera shoot that was done during a sold out show at Irving Plaza in NYC.

The quality of the video clip is quite poor, yet you still can get an idea of the excellent isolation I was able to get using my mic techniques and being able to position the various transducers (mics & speakers) on this extremely load stage.

This Protools session does not have any EQ, or signal processing of any kind, just panning and level adjustment of the input sources...

https://www.facebook.com/steve.remot...384308/?type=3

Here's a link to a clip where I am shooting their live performance from SR Monitor perch and then while I walk back to our "Big Bertha" recording rig...

https://www.facebook.com/steve.remot...749308/?type=3

The last link leads you to a closeup view of the Hyukoh recording rig of the "Big Bertha" variety during their live performance.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.remot...449308/?type=3

Who knows, you may find it interesting.

Any questions?
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Please forgive the quality of the cellphone mic that recorded this clip.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Steve, I like this concept of gobos. I understand you use popper stoppers which make a ready made mount for them. Do you find any particular materials more effective as the shield - soft or hard? Thickness? Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
In the world of mobile and on location recording it's all about the origination...

Here's a demonstration of a live performance capture of the (South Korean band,) Hyukoh which I recorded and engineered a while back.

This audio capture was for a five camera shoot that was done during a sold out show at Irving Plaza in NYC.

The quality of the video clip is quite poor, yet you still can get an idea of the excellent isolation I was able to get using my mic techniques and being able to position the various transducers (mics & speakers) on this extremely load stage.

This Protools session does not have any EQ, or signal processing of any kind, just panning and level adjustment of the input sources...

https://www.facebook.com/steve.remot...384308/?type=3

Here's a link to a clip where I am shooting their live performance from SR Monitor perch and then while I walk back to our "Big Bertha" recording rig...

https://www.facebook.com/steve.remot...749308/?type=3

The last link leads you to a closeup view of the Hyukoh recording rig of the "Big Bertha" variety during their live performance.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.remot...449308/?type=3

Who knows, you may find it interesting.

Any questions?
These links just take me to my News Feed but not
to your videos.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

That's strange? And, I you say you're logged into Facebook.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

I'm in a mix session today, but I will look to see if I can find the original clips and post them directly to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
to your videos.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
to your videos.
Happens only on my iPhone, links work as expected on my desktop.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Ah, yes...

Facebook strikes again. I tried to upload the clips, but the files were too big for GS' upload policy.

FYI, coming soon, I plan to create a YouTube thread which shall have links to (my favorite) selected music videos from the past decades.

Quote:
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Ah, yes...

Facebook strikes again. I tried to upload the clips, but the files were too big for GS' upload policy.

FYI, coming soon, I plan to create a YouTube thread which shall have links to (my favorite) selected music videos from the past decades.
Thanks Steve; great idea.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Steve, I like this concept of gobos. I understand you use popper stoppers which make a ready made mount for them. Do you find any particular materials more effective as the shield - soft or hard? Thickness? Thanks
For this particular live performance, I did not use any of my 'Micro Gobos,' just my 'Virtual Gobo' technique.

I do modify 'Popper Stoppers' to create my 'Micro Gobos.'

One side has foam and the other side has foam board or cardboard when that artist material is not available.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Or, is it iPhone that's not playing nice with Facewaste? My Android phone can see the clips.

In any event, did you find any value in those clips?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Thanks, Steve. I am going to try that out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or, is it iPhone that's not playing nice with Facewaste? My Android phone can see the clips.

In any event, did you find any value in those clips?
Sorry Steve, but not really.
I just saw pictures of a lot of gear and to my ear
the lower mid-range and bass sounded kind of muddy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry Steve, but not really.
I just saw pictures of a lot of gear and to my ear
the lower mid-range and bass sounded kind of muddy.
Not sure what you're referring to, because you quoted me addressing iPhone and Android phones.

If you're talkin about the crappy microphone in my Android phone that I used to capture those video clips, of course the lower mid-range and bass would sound muddy. The clips I posted was for reference of the equipment I used, the performance volume that was happening on stage, and the actual isolation I was able to get from those instruments.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Steve, I've been away from GS for a while and think I've missed your "virtual gobo technique." I searched the forum but couldn't find any information; could you point me to a thread where you discuss your technique? I've been recording a weekly jazz series here in LA, and sometimes the bleed is glorious, others, not so much! Thanks, always love your posts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Click on the Popular Tag, "virtual gobo" at the top of the main page to this forum and you will find a few threads that could be helpful.

Let me know how you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
Hi Steve, I've been away from GS for a while and think I've missed your "virtual gobo technique." I searched the forum but couldn't find any information; could you point me to a thread where you discuss your technique? I've been recording a weekly jazz series here in LA, and sometimes the bleed is glorious, others, not so much! Thanks, always love your posts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Links work, and clips played just fine for me. Thanks for sharing these. The isolation you achieve is remarkable. Very different from the work I do, but I totally dig the concept and execution. I will definitely read up on virtual GOBOs. Seems like a useful tool for all kinds of music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search