The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic ID Bonanza (cello and fortepiano)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Mic ID Bonanza (cello and fortepiano)

Hello, all!

I just happened on this recording session video of some Beethoven sonatas, and was curious to see if anyone could ID a few of the mics. The engineer is Richard King, and from reading his book/reading other articles, I have an idea of what some of the mics might be. Any assistance would be nice! I'm just curious, and love hearing what other engineers use for various sessions.

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Looks like ribbons (Royer?) for the cello spots. We don't get a look at the main spaced pair - they've got to be DPA 4006TLs (based on his book). As for the fortepiano, no idea - also DPA? Interesting tight omni spacing right in the middle there.
Old 3 weeks ago
The closer pair on the fortepiano appeared to be DPA 4011's. I thought the ribbons on the cello looked a lot like an AEA N8 pair, but I didn't recognize the shock mounts as being the normal ones. I couldn't figure out what the condensers were that those ribbons were sharing the AEA stereo bar with.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

By my count (and as this is Skywalker, the orange cable count) there are 7 mics in use: pair on the fortepiano, pair on the cello, and 3 mics out of frame much higher. All the mics also appear to go to Skywalker's floating 1081R AIR rack of Neves (which you can see to the back right.)

For the cello...
There isn't a pair of condensers on the stereo bar with the ribbon pair (you can count the XLR cables and see that) -- you are just seeing the extenders/offset for the mic mounts. Those mic mounts are the Sabra-Som mic mounts (universal). Those ribbons could be the N8 but they look like they have bronze bodies which would make them the N22. They are one or the other. Definitely not Royers.

For the fortepiano,
I'm guessing those are actually not the DPA 4011 but the DPA 4006 (older models.) The silver band is what gives that away -- plus Richard King writes about liking them.

As for the 3 room mics... who knows? Out of frame.
Old 3 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure the close mics on fortepiano are 4011's or some similar-looking non-omni DPA; I know what 4006's look like. But it's a good bet that two of the three tall stands have 4006's on them facing the piano. We can play guessing games about the one in the middle, but it's probably facing the cello. If I were doing it, I might put a Schoeps MK 21 in that role.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search