The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

Using a DI as a splitter?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Using a DI as a splitter?

Quick question, is it ok (without loss of quality)
to plug an acoustic guitar pickup into
DI box #1 that is connected (via XLR) to
a recorder and take the “Thru” of DI box#1 and connect to the Input of DI Box #2 and then connect DI box #2 (via XLR to a mic input on a mixer?

Last edited by Folkie; 3 weeks ago at 03:22 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Technically that should work. I would expect changes in sound though (maybe just very minimal) because the pickup is now driving a different load (input impedance).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Quick question, is it ok (without loss of quality)
to plug an acoustic guitar pickup into
DI box #1 that is connected (via XLR) to
a recorder and take the “Thru” of DI box#1 and connect to the Input of DI Box #2 and then connect DI box #2 (via XLR to a mic input on a mixer?
absolutely! no signal loss or degrading as long as you're not using a very long unbalanced jack cable between the di's: all jack i/o's are passively linked and xlr outputs transformer balanced. another option would be to use just a single di but add a mic splitter.

radial manufactures all sorts of those little helpers - highly recommended!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Loss is dependent on the pickup used, just listen with & without the 2nd DI.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Loss is dependent on the pickup used, just listen with & without the 2nd DI.
njet: the pickup does not 'see' the transformers on the symmetric outputs, it's behaviour is mostly depending on what's on the asymmetrical/jack side - and there it's not about loss but impedance...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 03:04 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

easy man, we're all after stellar audio! but when given the choice of whether to get audio at all or not, i think the choice is quite clear - at least it'd be to me.

plus these are the tools to op has (or else he wouldn't be asking), i offered another way to go (although i'm not sure whether the op will want to go this way or dismiss the idea for whatever reason - could be that by now he has long recorded), no one can compare results of what the op gets (as he'll get it in a specific way and possibly only this way) and my suggestion does not come out of the blue but is based on working on thousands of concerts - and guess what; i was in the similar situation more than once (which led me to buy the gear i was suggesting and take it to almost every gig). i'm convinced the signal will be so good the op would be hard pressed to even measure a difference: passive splits ain't evil (although the other method would have advantages)!

really can't see what was so bad about my suggestion...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
That's exactly right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Loss is dependent on the pickup used, just listen with & without the 2nd DI.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Thanks all for your input!
Thinking about it some more I was concerned about the fact that I would be using 2 different
DI boxes (with different input impedances) and my reasoning was that could lead to vastly different output levels AND since there was no opportunity to test before last night’s gig I decided to take my 8-channel Radial splitter ( even though I only needed to split 2 mics plus one acoustic guitar DI). The alternative I was
contemplating was 2 Radial single channel split boxes plus the “2 DI split” I was asking about.
Thanks again all for your thoughtful replies.
If I ever have a chance to test it, I will post the result.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
PuebloAudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Thinking about it some more I was concerned about the fact that I would be using 2 different
DI boxes (with different input impedances)...
It should be no problem to use two Di boxes to split the instrument signal. But, to harvest the best tone and fidelity, be mindful of the net load impedance of the two DI’s which, electrically, will be in parallel.

An acoustic guitar pickup will most likely be piezo. Their best fidelity is realized when their capacitance is loaded with an ultra high Zin. Radial makes one at 10megaOhms and Pueblo Audio at 45megs. Let’s say you use 10megs as the first DI. If the second (parallel) DI is a conventional, passive type (Zin approx 140kOhms) then the net load that the pickup “sees” would only be 138k. That’s less than 2% of the original loading - a massive discrepancy! Tone and fidelity will suffer. In contrast, should the second unit be 45megs then the net load would be about 7megs, which is still plenty healthy .

Hardly anybody is going to be calculating parallel impedances during a show set up. But it’s helpful to know, as a rule of thumb, that net load impedance is always lower than the lowest individual impedance of the network.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by PuebloAudio; 3 weeks ago at 10:12 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
It should be no problem to use two Di boxes to split the instrument signal. But, to harvest the best tone and fidelity, be mindful of the net load impedance of the two DI’s which, electrically, will be in parallel.

An acoustic guitar pickup will most likely be piezo. Their best fidelity is realized when their capacitance is loaded with an ultra high Zin. Radial makes one at 10megaOhms and Pueblo Audio at 45megs. Let’s say you use 10megs as the first DI. If the second (parallel) DI is a conventional, passive type (Zin approx 140kOhms) then the net load that the pickup “sees” would only be 138k. That’s less than 2% of the original loading - a massive discrepancy! Tone and fidelity will suffer. In contrast, should the second unit be 45megs then the net load would be about 7megs, which is still plenty healthy .

Hardly anybody is going to be calculating parallel impedances during a show set up. But it’s helpful to know, as a rule of thumb, that net load impedance is always lower than the lowest individual impedance of the network.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your input.
Is parallel impedance calculated like parallel resistance?
1/R total = 1/R1 + 1/R2
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Thanks for your input.
Is parallel impedance calculated like parallel resistance?
1/R total = 1/R1 + 1/R2
Yes..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloAudio View Post
An acoustic guitar pickup will most likely be piezo. Their best fidelity is realized when their capacitance is loaded with an ultra high Zin.
Almost all of the piezos most of us are going to encounter will be in instruments with an onboard preamp of some sort. With a gain stage like that, seems to me that the DI makes very little difference.

With a passive piezo, however, the type of DI can make a huge difference. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call any of it "fidelity," though.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump