The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
solo lute miking recommendations
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I certainly learnt a lot from this concert recording: and you'll hear how much detail (wanted and otherwise) got pulled in by the mics....

Close mics, 20cm spacing, parallel CM3 pair, panned 10am and 2pm; 1.2 metre height
Further mics, 1.6 metre spacing, 1.5 metre height, MKH8020 pair panned hard left/right

Mix balance: Further pair 0dB....close -6.35dB, gentle bass roll below 32Hz, no other processing, no added reverb, etc
Attached Files

lute sample.mp3 (6.48 MB, 803 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I certainly learnt a lot from this concert recording: and you'll hear how much detail (wanted and otherwise) got pulled in by the mics....

Close mics, 20cm spacing, parallel CM3 pair, panned 10am and 2pm; 1.2 metre height
Further mics, 1.6 metre spacing, 1.5 metre height, MKH8020 pair panned hard left/right

Mix balance: Further pair 0dB....close -6.35dB, gentle bass roll below 32Hz, no other processing, no added reverb, etc
Love it! Sounds very cosy and almost can see the player before me in my room.
Great!

Only this audience and the player noise... I would maby start with low shelve much higher to get rid of the audience rumble, especially that this instrument does not produce really deep bass.

Again, like it very much!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’d like to hear what the close mics sounded like on their own. Just wondering if you can get rid of the further pair and get less of the audience...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yep, I'll post the 2 mic pairs tonight, and you can play with alternate mix balances, and maybe suggest some restorative measures ( though I'm not very hopeful...) ?

It's probably even worthwhile separating them into individual mono L/R files for each pair

I purposely kept the close mic pair's spread-width quite small, so that it was like a somewhat wide mono, and allowing the more distant pair to supply the width and space-filling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
This thread is reminding me of a question I remember posing a while back. Apologies in advance that it is not a mic'ing recommendation, but perhaps someone with more information (or an informed guess) will make it useful for everyone, including the OP.

One of my very favorite solo lute recordings is this one by Michael Schäffer:

It has been re-released several times, but I believe it dates from the mid-1970's shortly before his untimely death. I know the producer was Wolf Erichson, who will be familiar to many here, but I have not been able to find any information about how the recording was made in terms of microphone choice, placement, etc.

In fact, quite some time ago, Paul O'Dette was kind enough to respond with some helpful suggestions to an email I sent him directly about this recording, but sadly these did not pan out.

Again, not meaning to derail the thread, but I wonder if any folks here might be in a position to make an educated guess? Many thanks!
Curious to know: what did Paul send you in reference to this session? PM me if you'd rather not divulge in the thread.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi Rob,

He mentioned that Wolf Erichson was likely more responsible for the overall aesthetic of the record than the engineer who was credited. I'm on the go at the moment, so his name is not in front of me, but Mr. O'Dette recommended another older German engineer he knows who had apparently worked on many other early music recordings which Erichson produced. Paul thought that he would be in a good position to make an educated guess as to mic choice, placement, etc.

I emailed this gentleman in both English and German some time ago but never heard back -- understandable given the out-of-the-blue nature of my inquiry, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I assume those are omni capsules on the Schoeps? If so, what flavor? Please, and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
Indeed
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba_noise View Post
I assume those are omni capsules on the Schoeps? If so, what flavor? Please, and thank you!
After digging up my notes: MK2H in the close pair, MK5 in Omni on the distant pair.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

FWIW, and although not a solo recording, I've been greatly admiring the sound achieved in this album:

Its not too close or distant sounding with very low ambient/mic noise. I like it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I also found this:

Looks like a pair of Neumann 184s placed a bit too close for my taste. Personally, I would try omnis first (Schoeps MK2), then wide cardioid (MK21), then open cardioid (MK22), and regular cardioid (MK4, 184, etc.) as a last resort.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Although not lute, this was recorded using a Schoeps MK21 spaced pair.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterpoint85 View Post
I also found this:

Looks like a pair of Neumann 184s placed a bit too close for my taste. Personally, I would try omnis first (Schoeps MK2), then wide cardioid (MK21), then open cardioid (MK22), and regular cardioid (MK4, 184, etc.) as a last resort.
Are you sure they're not KM183 ?

It's entirely possible that, given the fact it was recorded for TV/video/YouTube, that the mics were for detail capture...as well as possibly for speaker reinforcement also (you can see these on the walls of the concert room in the virtual tour link) :

http://360.poppr.be/virtualtour/conc...amermuziekzaal

It's a large concert space, as you can see in the video's opening 30 seconds, and the instrument may not have been able to fill it without speaker support
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Are you sure they're not KM183 ?
Although I'm not completely sure, and its hard to tell, I thought I saw what looked like slits on the capsules which are not present on the 183s.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search