The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MKH MS set up - switches orientation
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

MKH MS set up - switches orientation

I already used MKH40/30 combination in MS stereo and it seems to work fine - but I am unclear about the suggestion in which direction the switches must face - in the manual it says that the front of MKH30 is obviously where the switches are and that this part should face left - why is that? Why does it matter at which side the switches - the front of MKH30 - face, if both lobes are identical?

And also - left from whose perspective? From mine - looking at the players - that is how I use it - the switches are on my left... or the left if I face mics from the players position?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't think absolute phase matters, so if the MS pair are the only mains then it doesn't matter which way round the MKH30/40 is.

But if you have other mains or close outriggers, and you want to be in phase, ie hot pin2 in both sets of mics to change in voltage in the same direction then the labels have to be on the left side.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I don't think absolute phase matters, so if the MS pair are the only mains then it doesn't matter which way round the MKH30/40 is.

But if you have other mains or close outriggers, and you want to be in phase, ie hot pin2 in both sets of mics to change in voltage in the same direction then the labels have to be on the left side.
Aha, OK, from which perspective - looking from behind the mics aiming at the source - labels on the left?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes the MKH30 is symmetric but the positive
phase is to the left and negative phase to the right so that when combining M+S you get the left channel and M-S gives the right channel.
If you have the MKH30 aimed the other way you
will have left and right reversed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you have it the wrong way around you would just have L and R reversed which is pretty easy to mix. More issues would crop up if you are mixing any other mics in with the MS pair. You could get phase issues or soundstage blurring if you do that.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
of course it matters
if you get it wrong chaos could ensue
I mark mine red spot LH,green spot RH
(red ship left port) old tars maxim, also beeb edict
+ phase to the LH facing the performance
+ phase has the dip switches
both sides are symmetrical but opposite in phase
Mr Blumlein would be v upset if you cocked it up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Yes the MKH30 is symmetric but the positive
phase is to the left and negative phase to the right so that when combining M+S you get the left channel and M-S gives the right channel.
If you have the MKH30 aimed the other way you
will have left and right reversed.
Yes what I wrote was too rushed. If mkh30 has labels facing right and you reverse its phase then it’s identical to the “normal” configuration.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search