The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , ,

Quantec Yardstick vs Bricasti
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quantec Yardstick vs Bricasti

In classical music ensemble setting (versus solo) and in a recorded live setting, which gives the most realistic sounding reverb in the mastering stage after the fact?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

hands down the quantec! you can even feed a full mix through it and not use the processor in a more traditional aux send/efx return setup and get stellar results!
upmixing is incredible (while there is no surround device available from bricasti).
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I have never had the pleasure of owning either, but I have had the opportunity to hear both. IMHO, the bricasti is a top quality unit with a beautifully clean sound with very smooth tails that is extraordinarily convincing for classical material. The quantec, otoh, really gives the effect of an actual real space, somehow fundamentally different from the more traditional reverb units. The basic algorithms used by the two units represent completely different approaches to modeling space (worth reading about), and which is “better” may be determined more by the application rather than any objective measurement. I recently played around with protoverb (a freebie), which attempts to model space in the same way as the quantec, and it was quite edifying and fun - indeed, again, the protoverb did actually have the effect of fairly “real” sounding spaces - unfortunately, all of the spaces I could get from it sounded like bad rooms to record in...
I believe Ben Maas uses the bricasti, while Plush praises the quantec. Based on those two recs, I don’t think you can go wrong with either...
Old 3 days ago
Used both of them, they are beautiful and represents very different approach to the simulation of the spaces. I am with Yardstick for four years now. Their algorythm somehow complements natural reverb of the room in a very smooth and realistic way and it works with every source so far.

Sometimes when the original venue is really bad, you still can survive and make a good sounding production with the help of this great unit. Several times conductor's reaction after the listening was: it sounds much better then the real hall.

Best,
Norm
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Used both of them, they are beautiful and represents very different approach to the simulation of the spaces. I am with Yardstick for four years now. Their algorythm somehow complements natural reverb of the room in a very smooth and realistic way and it works with every source so far.

Sometimes when the original venue is really bad, you still can survive and make a good sounding production with the help of this great unit. Several times conductor's reaction after the listening was: it sounds much better then the real hall.

Best,
Norm
Which model do you have, Norm?
Old 3 days ago

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search