The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What mic is this?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

What mic is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWBth_rLgw

Looks like it's being used for sound reinforcement and recording both. Picks up instruments and voices really well.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
That is an excellent question. I don’t recognize it, and in the MANY pictures and videos of this group recording and playing live, I can’t find them using this same mic.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The speakers are likely wide enough apart, far away from the mic, and working at a low enough level, that an Omni could be used in that situation...but conventional wisdom would suggest it's more likely to be a wide or hemi cardioid, which would still give enough detail for the instruments (and her voice) despite being way off the central axis ?
Old 6 days ago
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
That’s it!
How does a Sony electret tape recorder mic from the 60’s or 70’s end up as the single video and live audio mic at this event? I bet there’s a long strange trip or two involved.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

That doesn’t look quite right to me...
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That’s it!
How does a Sony electret tape recorder mic from the 60’s or 70’s end up as the single video and live audio mic at this event? I bet there’s a long strange trip or two involved.
Must be hard times at the North Carolina Executive and mansion if they can only afford an old electret....? Sounded ok though
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

It's NOT the only mic being used. There's some stereo content. And it's not a Sony 250. The rear port is not right. It's a stereo mic. Listen closer.

Last edited by GYMusic; 6 days ago at 05:29 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
I think Sony has a history of making excellent mics, so an excellent limited-budget Sony tape recorder mic doesn’t surprise me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
It's NOT the only mic being used. There's some stereo content. And it's not a Sony 250. The rear port is not right. It's a stereo mic. Listen closer.
Yes I hear a trace of stereo with the mid being quite predominant, so I'd put money on it being a mid-side mic
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The grill does look a bit larger. Sony has mady many stereo electrete mic's. It's possible it's a stereo version of the 250.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
It's a Neumann KMS84.
So it can not be the only mic they used.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremusound View Post
It's a Neumann KMS84.
So it can not be the only mic they used.
The Neumann has a grill at the rear of the head. This mic appears to have slots, like the Sony.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The Neumann has a grill at the rear of the head. This mic appears to have slots, like the Sony.
This ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEUMANN-KMS....c100752.m1982
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I stand corrected! Another mic I’ve never seen. Thanks for linking the clear photos.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
On the other hand, if you listen to the applause between songs, that's where things get very wide indeed...so I suspect some sort of audience miking, which is maybe picking up some PA bleed and creating that sense of 'small stereo' (or width at least, of a sort...)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandodon View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWBth_rLgw

Looks like it's being used for sound reinforcement and recording both. Picks up instruments and voices really well.
Well, might not be that mic doing it exactly. There's at least one other mic, looks like one of those "stereo shotgun" mics, about 18" off the floor in front of the first row of chairs on the piano side. That may be where the stereo is coming from, and the mic on the stand between them just being used to get some presence? IDK. I'm disturbed that we aren't getting any early reflections from the glass windows behind the performers; we should be. And there's a fair amount of processing going on, some compression, EQ, and reverb being added.

Whoever make the recording was doing a good job. At least I like the results. I just wish we knew more about how it was made. Maybe someone will pipe up and tell us.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search