The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Opinions on figure-8 condensers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Opinions on figure-8 condensers

Hello, all!

I'm currently strategizing for my next mic purchase (I've got the bug now!), and I would really like to get a pair of figure-8 condensers. I want to have them in my locker for occasions where it would be helpful to have such a pair, as in a Faulkner array or for reinforcement purposes. My experience concerning figure-8 mics is with ribbons and multi-patter mics, since bidirectional condensers are not quite as prevalent.

With that being said, I'm looking at the following mics. Any opinions on these? I had considered getting a pair of the Schoeps MK8 capsules to go with my CMC6 bodies, but I'd like to be able to use that pair elsewhere.

- Pearl CB22
- Sennheiser MKH30
- Neumann KK 120 + KM A

I'm also considering a few active ribbon designs, such as the AEA N8 and sE VR2. Any opinions are welcome!
Old 1 week ago
Do consider the Rode NTR as well. They are excellent.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Advanced Audio CM414 (Better than AKG's current mics IMHO)
Coles 4038. Not intuative to use as a figure 8 because of the design. It works well.
U87, U89

I don't know the mic's you listed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So it would seem, perhaps from his first "choices", the OP was looking for pencil mics. Any of the three mentioned, Schoeps, Sennheiser MKH and Neumann are awesome mics. I am not familiar with the Pearl other than by reputation which seems to be good. I own and use the Schoeps and the MKH. You are already there, mostly, with the Schoeps amplifier so an Mk8 would seem a good way to go.

But if you are looking for a less expensive microphone, you might look into these:

https://b9audio.com/

I had a chance to demo the stereo figure-of-eight condenser and it sounded really good. The only reason I didn't buy one is that I already had mics in my locker that did the same thing. I was NOT dissatisfied with the sound. No affiliation, but I was impressed with the product.

Also, although not inexpensive, the Samar line of figure-of-eight ribbons is really really good. I have one of Mark's stereo ribbons and it is killer.

https://www.samaraudiodesign.com/

They are not really pencil mic sized but smaller than a U87

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have the Schoeps Mk8's. They work well with a Mk21 for MS. And a Mk4 works well, too, with the Mk8, but I prefer the Mk21. I also have the Samar VL373A which works really nicely in MS. I have not tried Blumlein. The Pearl DS 60 is a sweet sounding mic which has a "ribbony" sound, perhaps because of its rectangular diaphragm. But they are no longer made and were expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
But if you are looking for a less expensive microphone, you might look into these:

https://b9audio.com/

I had a chance to demo the stereo figure-of-eight condenser and it sounded really good. The only reason I didn't buy one is that I already had mics in my locker that did the same thing. I was NOT dissatisfied with the sound. No affiliation, but I was impressed with the product.
Wow, these look to be Schoeps clones/"inspired", right down to the coating. But it did send me down a rabbit hole to see if Schoeps ever made a dual figure 8 stereo mic, and they did - the CMTS.

I assume the OP has found avillalta's clip recorded with the Rode NTR in blumlein:

RØDE NTR vs Samar VL37A
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've gotta say, experiencing a few Rode mics, and overall, not being too impressed, I certainly would give the NTRs a good test if I didn't have mics that fill that role already.

Just an aside, if anyone has two Schoeps Mk8 heads, SRS made me a 3D printed mount to use these in Blumlein.

The mount is not on the page, only the one that uses two active cables (that seem nice and tidy and I have the Schoeps stuff to use it) but the one I had made just clips up two Schoeps amps and two Mk8 for a Blumlein pair. Here is the Active Cable mount but talk to Scott and he will hook you up.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WD...ionId=63600260

D.
Old 1 week ago
The Rode NTR is an impressive mic that I happily use next to my DPA, Neumann and Schoeps mics.
I recorded harpsichord solo with them (Youtube Couperin NTR and you'll find them), or solo voice pickup (prefered by some singers above the usual vocal mics), or violin or piano spots...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
The Rode NTR is an impressive mic that I happily use next to my DPA, Neumann and Schoeps mics.
I recorded harpsichord solo with them (Youtube Couperin NTR and you'll find them), or solo voice pickup (prefered by some singers above the usual vocal mics), or violin or piano spots...
I know those recordings. Impressive sound and well used by Apotheosis.
Wish I had a couple of them. Only ting - they are biiiig and heavyyyyy...
Old 1 hour ago
The Gefell UM70s (I'm told) have the front and rear capsules set close together, which makes them useful as fig8s.

I've only used them once in Blumlein crossed fig8s, on a quartet of french horns.

You could look at the sE VR1 ribbons, which I consider excellent microphones. I say the VR1 as opposed to the active VR2, because you can choose which preamp you use them with.

As full range they can be useful as a main pair.

Also the Coles 4050 ribbon stereo mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search