The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best protocol to post tracks on Gearslutz
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Best protocol to post tracks on Gearslutz

There is a wide quality spread in the recorded audio tracks posted in these threads. I am well aware of the fact that some if not most of the differential lies in the quality of the initial recordings however I suspect the delivery protocol is also a major contributor. I would appreciate some input from those of you that are much better informed than I am pursuant to these issues.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I would like to post some time in future some examples, where can I find instructions how to do that? Does the quality stay unchanged?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I directly post (rather unhappily) on here mostly mp3's...so as to be able to get a reasonable amount (time-span) of playing. That's due to the meagre allocation of space given for attachments, what is it...15MB...certainly less than 20 anyhow ?

Even some folks photo postings are compromised, due to that ceiling (especially if they send a few pics within a single post) I tried to upload FLAC audio once, but it was refused....despite being listed as one of their 'approved file types'

I'll suggest that the way around it is to host the relevant file on your own 'cloud bank'...be it Dropbox, Google (or some other kind) of "Drive", or even on YouTube or Vimeo...and then post a link to that here.

That pretty much undermines any Gearsliutz imposed limit...but it puts the onus upon you for maintaining that link /'Drive' viability over the long term...lest it vanish due to deletion, and become inacccessible to future readers.

I'm sure Gearslutz would want such attachment postings to remain here in perpetuity... as a viable and germane resource supplement to a post...but their meagre space allocation gives the lie to that..if indeed it's their intention ?

So...go your own way (as the F Macs said years ago...)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
There is a wide quality spread in the recorded audio tracks posted in these threads. I am well aware of the fact that some if not most of the differential lies in the quality of the initial recordings however I suspect the delivery protocol is also a major contributor. I would appreciate some input from those of you that are much better informed than I am pursuant to these issues.
Hugh
If you make a Soundcloud page, you can upload a big hi-fi file, tick the "downloadable" option, and people will be able to download and play the exact same thing you uploaded. It'll still stream a compressed version, though.

With my stuff, for GS purposes, I don't find the audible differences between WAV's and 320 mp3's and Soundcloud's streaming to be worth the trouble.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you make a Soundcloud page, you can upload a big hi-fi file, tick the "downloadable" option, and people will be able to download and play the exact same thing you uploaded. It'll still stream a compressed version, though.

With my stuff, for GS purposes, I don't find the audible differences between WAV's and 320 mp3's and Soundcloud's streaming to be worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I directly post (rather unhappily) on here mostly mp3's...so as to be able to get a reasonable amount (time-span) of playing. That's due to the meagre allocation of space given for attachments, what is it...15MB...certainly less than 20 anyhow ?

Even some folks photo postings are compromised, due to that ceiling (especially if they send a few pics within a single post) I tried to upload FLAC audio once, but it was refused....despite being listed as one of their 'approved file types'

I'll suggest that the way around it is to host the relevant file on your own 'cloud bank'...be it Dropbox, Google (or some other kind) of "Drive", or even on YouTube or Vimeo...and then post a link to that here.

That pretty much undermines any Gearsliutz imposed limit...but it puts the onus upon you for maintaining that link /'Drive' viability over the long term...lest it vanish due to deletion, and become inacccessible to future readers.

I'm sure Gearslutz would want such attachment postings to remain here in perpetuity... as a viable and germane resource supplement to a post...but their meagre space allocation gives the lie to that..if indeed it's their intention ?

So...go your own way (as the F Macs said years ago...)
I too am frustrated by the file size limit.
Another option is to ATTACH MP3 files or short
uncompressed wav files AND
provide LINK to uncompressed wav files of any length on Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
I've settled on Soundcloud for several reasons:

1) You can upload your stuff in full resolution - the compressed version is what is streamed for casual listening but curious folks can download the file in full resolution if they wish and you have set the permissions correctly.

2) I think it generally sounds better than YouTube

3) Soundcloud integrates so neatly with the Gearslutz Forum - folks can just listen right there in your post without being redirected somewhere else and without having to ogle distracting visuals, like this...

It is most certainly true that there is a 'wide quality spread' in a lot of music that appears on this Forum, although this section of the Forum is far better than most because people are mindful of posting full gear details of what they're using to make their recordings. Most clips posted elsewhere and especially YouTube videos are catastrophic in providing absolutely no detail how sound was recorded and are thus basically useless in comparative terms, although if course this is the fault of the content creator and not the delivery medium per se.*

A couple of other things to note about Soundcloud:

a) Like a lot of web-based services, it's free up to a certain point - once you go past a few hours you'll need to upgrade to a 'Pro' account'; that's not a gripe, it's just a fact of life.
b) The business model of Soundcloud has been though some shaky patches - I don't know who owns and manages it now but as with many web-things (MySPace anyone?) it's possible that it might be here today and gone tomorrow, so probably wise to archive stuff permanently elsewhere.

* Yes, I have posted full recording details of the above piano recording before in another thread!

Last edited by James Lehmann; 1 week ago at 09:48 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
(...) for GS purposes, I don't find the audible differences between WAV's and 320 mp3's and Soundcloud's streaming to be worth the trouble.
quoted for emphasis - just encode reasonably well with the encoder and resolution of your choice, suited to the material in question.
Old 1 week ago
The big issue with posting links is that when folks look up the thread in the future, those links will most likely be 404 (not found). Direct posting means that they will be available down the line.
As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Many excellent posts. Expanding on one of themes, MP3s have multiple data rates. As an analogy 128 kbs is like 3.75 ips tape. Not the best but acceptable to the average person. There are data rates as high as 320 kbs. Much higher fidelity.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

If a sound file is uploaded which is exceeding the 15Mb limit, is it automatically shortened?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister View Post
If a sound file is uploaded which is exceeding the 15Mb limit, is it automatically shortened?
Nope, it's just refuses to upload....however it seems the limit is more like 20Mb....add up the storage used in this recent post, with multiple audio samples: OM1 - What's it about?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search