The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Tascam HS-P82 and Nagra VI
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

Tascam HS-P82 and Nagra VI

At what point is Tascam going to upgrade this recorder? They normally never keep a product around this long. Same with Nagra. Both are about 10 years old.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson Taylor View Post
At what point is Tascam going to upgrade this recorder? They normally never keep a product around this long. Same with Nagra. Both are about 10 years old.
Certainly the Nagra VI has no need for an update. An almost perfect location recorder. My nine year old machine has just has its first battery replacement and gets used up to 3 or 4 times per month on concert, location, video and CD recordings and has done so, without incident, its whole life.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 14th August 2019 at 10:25 PM..
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Tascam keeps machines around that sell. The DA-88, 98, 78 were made for a long time....
Old 14th August 2019
AB3
Lives for gear

The HS-P82 has a great sound. Perhaps a touch on the sweet side of clean.
It is bulky and I wish the mirroring worked at 96K. But it is a great value if the size is not a problem.

I believe it cost $5000 at one point in time. Then Tascam, because of competition and possible recovery of R&D costs, dropped the price considerably.

So, it still has great value. (Maybe like new for about $1500? Someone correct me.

BTW, I have recordings on old Tascam tape recorders that I still cannot touch with digital. And part of that was the tape, and part of it was the electronics.

Tascam has recorder experience for decades Perhaps, some of that helped the HS-P82.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the HS-P82.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Both machines are great and fulfill the needs of their users. Neither requires an update.

Most people requesting updates want Dante. My response is that with only 8 channels, why would Dante be valuable? Just plug in your mic cables.

A/D conversion is excellent on both machines.

What kind of updates is the OP looking for?
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
I believe it cost $5000 at one point in time. Then Tascam, because of competition and possible recovery of R&D costs, dropped the price considerably.

So, it still has great value. (Maybe like new for about $1500? Someone correct me.
If the price has dropped, nobody told Australia...https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...as-hs-p82.html

As to updates, a smart one would be to enable single channel overdubs (up to a total of 8), with a firmware update similar to the Musician update made available to Sound Devices owners...which wouldn't change its functionality at all for 8-live-inputs recording folk. That would possibly widen its user-base to encompass the SD/Zoom crowd
Old 14th August 2019
AB3
Lives for gear

Here is one of many examples at $1999 U.S.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-HS-P...8AAOSwKfVXKUSh

You can probably find that in the U.S for that price at most dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If the price has dropped, nobody told Australia...https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...as-hs-p82.html
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Here is one of many examples at $1999 U.S.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-HS-P...8AAOSwKfVXKUSh

You can probably find that in the U.S for that price at most dealers.
Yes $2000US is a pretty common benchmark price today: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...eld_Audio.html
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear

On the Nagra, eight mic pres, DSD, dual SD card slots. I dont know what’s different, but, the Nagra VII sounds better, less veiled of color.

HSp82 needs an entirely updated user interface with higher resolution screen and fonts, new preamps as these have been replaced, DSD, mirroring, dual SD card slots.

Both could use a real-time interface with computing, USB-C. Both could also use updated battery - especially the Tascam, but both.
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the Nagra, eight mic pres, DSD, dual SD card slots. I dont know what’s different, but, the Nagra VII sounds better, less veiled of color.
An Anubis or Hapi will go well with these requirements. But is this too much to ask for a "portable" recorder?

Last edited by David Spearritt; 17th August 2019 at 12:48 PM..
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, you are just a bullying troll. Go drown more kittens since that’s your thing.
If you are unable to respond civilly to polite disagreement with your views, I suggest you find another forum in which to air them.

We are unlikely to see Nagra offering any significant update in the near future to any of its existing devices (worthy as the idea may seem). The 'update' to the Nagra Seven -> VII announced a year ago? I rest my case.

There might be more likelihood of TASCAM doing an upgrade, but with the market in a significant state of disruption due to the Trump tariffs and more advanced competitors, I wonder what priority TASCAM would be giving to investing in a product development where a major portion of its market is in the USA.

But perhaps you should address your observations to the marketing departments of TASCAM and Nagra, and let us know of any response you receive. Others in this forum would be interested, I'm sure.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search