The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Trucks on Zoom F6
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Trucks on Zoom F6

Information on Zoom F6 says: “6-channel/14-track field audio recorder/mixer". I understand 2 trucks are for a stereo mixdown, but how can you get the remaining 12 trucks from 6 imput device?

I am a professional musician, not a sound technician, but by nature close to the field, and, forgive me, I was always bothered by the ambiguity or contextuality of your industry terminology, which is understandable. But this time I must know before I'll buy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You mention you are a professional musician. To a few of my professional musician friends, this would be a most ridiculous suggestion; download and read the manual as the track count is explained in the manual. I don’t have an F6 but, out of pure curiosity, downloaded the manual from Zoom’s website.

My Summary:
The F6 has a Dual recording mode which simultaneously records each track twice, (1) @ 16/24 bit WAV and (2) 32-bit float WAV files. (6 x 2) = 12 + 2 mix down.

From the manual:
“Dual

These modes simultaneously record ordinary 16/24-bit WAV files and 32-bit float WAV files.

Adjust input (trim) levels so that the clip indicators do not light when recording.

Even if clipping occurs in 16/24bit WAV file data during recording, data at a suitable level without clipping can be obtained by editing the 32bit Float WAV files during post-production.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiJedenPan View Post
Information on Zoom F6 says: “6-channel/14-track field audio recorder/mixer". I understand 2 trucks are for a stereo mixdown, but how can you get the remaining 12 trucks from 6 imput device?

I am a professional musician, not a sound technician, but by nature close to the field, and, forgive me, I was always bothered by the ambiguity or contextuality of your industry terminology, which is understandable. But this time I must know before I'll buy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you Steven, you are very forgiving Indeed, it would not occur to me to seek such an answer in the manual. In fact, in the first moment after writing this post, I thought maybe there is precise limit for overdubbing. But no! In your Summary, cited from the manual, I read the commonly known information about the F6 recording "method". But to make such a mental abbreviation in the first line to call it "6-channel / 14-track", it is a terminological misuse.

In the "Features at a Glance" for DR-100MKIII, Tascam writes: "Dual recording allows to create a different format". They do not write "2-channels / 4-tracks", they just explain the "method".

When you buy a hybrid car, you do not read e.g. "4 wheels/ 2 engines, etc…", as if it were two independent engines, both available to you at any time. Of course there are two, but they work together in a rather sophisticated way, individually or together, and you have limited influence on it.

The situation reminds me of the (famous for me) term "velocity", the meaning of which in EVERY English Dictionary means speed, with the exception of audio terminology...

So the Zoom's feature is in fact not "14-tracks", but just "dual recording method". I am furious at this carefree advertising method…
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiJedenPan View Post
Thank you Steven, you are very forgiving Indeed, it would not occur to me to seek such an answer in the manual. In fact, in the first moment after writing this post, I thought maybe there is precise limit for overdubbing. But no! In your Summary, cited from the manual, I read the commonly known information about the F6 recording "method". But to make such a mental abbreviation in the first line to call it "6-channel / 14-track", it is a terminological misuse.

In the "Features at a Glance" for DR-100MKIII, Tascam writes: "Dual recording allows to create a different format". They do not write "2-channels / 4-tracks", they just explain the "method".

When you buy a hybrid car, you do not read e.g. "4 wheels/ 2 engines, etc…", as if it were two independent engines, both available to you at any time. Of course there are two, but they work together in a rather sophisticated way, individually or together, and you have limited influence on it.

The situation reminds me of the (famous for me) term "velocity", the meaning of which in EVERY English Dictionary means speed, with the exception of audio terminology...

So the Zoom's feature is in fact not "14-tracks", but just "dual recording method". I am furious at this carefree advertising method…
To play Zoom's advocate: the 32 bit 2 ADs recording technique is quite new and unknown in this price class. It is not possible to clip files with this technique. So Zoom's marketing machinery tries to pronounce these features. Most other multitrack recorders like the Tascam or the Zoom H6 can only record 2 tracks stereo IF you need a backup file with lower gain settings to make sure that your recording is not spoiled through clipping...
The Zoom does not only make backup recordings of all 6 channels, it doesn't make a backup with lower gain settings but with the new clip-free 32 bit technique. So it is a bit justified to market it like this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search