The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode NTR storage/transport?
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear

Rode NTR storage/transport?

Hello, all!

I just bought two Rode NTRs (which sound beautiful, by the way), and was wondering if anyone out there has a good strategy for storing and transporting these mics. The case it comes in doesn't seem like a useful solution, though they do fit well in there. Does anyone out there have suggestions on how to package and transport these mics?

Thanks!

Aaron
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Nut

A general rule of thumb for ribbon mics is to store them so that the ribbons are vertical.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventil View Post
A general rule of thumb for ribbon mics is to store them so that the ribbons are vertical.
You should be able to find something like this without too much trouble...some variations have more rigid protective inner divisions, others have more flexible reflective-covered material...so buy on the basis of how much structural rigidity you think the mics require to be carried safely.

Make sure the base is solid to promote upright 'posture' of the bag....and ideally the outer wall would be reinforced and rigid too, for safety while transporting.

If you get one with 3-4 internal compartments you might be able to include the mic suspensions....or a nice bottle of red to share when the gig is over !

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=i...ugNwRVDGTNrXWM

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/1127472447...yABEgLo-fD_BwE
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

Didn't Rode incorporate a mechanism to protect the ribbon from damage when not in use? I seem to remember this from when they came on the market.
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Head

Here's a lengthy thread on the NTR:
new Rode Ribbon on the way

Here's Rode's response to the ribbon sag question, which they said was not an issue:
new Rode Ribbon on the way

I've had mine for four years and bought a small metal toolbox which I lined with foam to store and transport them in- have had no issues whatsoever. Enjoy your NTRs!
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Didn't Rode incorporate a mechanism to protect the ribbon from damage when not in use? I seem to remember this from when they came on the market.
Yes you're right, although I thought it was more of a transportation lock than a 'not in use' one: here's how Sound On Sound described it....

"Designed and built entirely in Rode’s Australian factory, the NTR is beautifully made and visually very distinctive. An imposing beast, it measures almost 22cm from end to end and weighs around a kilo. It comes in an impressive foam–lined black cardboard box, and ships with a ‘ribbon retaining screw’ bolted into the top. This, presumably, locks down the internal shock mount to prevent destructive low–frequency oscillations during transport, and needs to be removed before use. The mic is bundled with a newly strengthened version of Rode’s RM2 mount in matching black, which screws to the base of the mic and permits it to be rotated through more than 180 degrees. The internal shock mounting apparently means that an elastic suspension is not required, and in practice I encountered no problems with stand–borne vibration"

So it would seem it locks down the internal compliant mounting of the whole ribbon motor, rather than just the ribbon itself (which would be well nigh impossible, being so thin).

If you check out the first photo from the review, https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-ntr you'll see that the securing screw descends from the top of the screen basket and secures the entire assembly, which is otherwise supported by 4 thin rubber (?) mounts...and it's those that Rode deems at risk during transportation, I'm guessing ?
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Maniac

I have owned a pair for over 2 years and have had no issue with them being transported. The "retaining screw" freezes the ribbon motor in place, as noted above, protecting it from oscillating and stressing the ribbon.

The retail box is well designed, form fitting and very robust, with a separate compartment for accessories. I looked at various ways to transport the mic and couldn't come up with a better or space saving design. I keep them in this box for storage and transport within a suitable hard case that also allows for a pair of KSM32 with shock mounts, a pair of NT6 with Shapeways ORTF mount and omni capsules, a couple of stereo bars and associated cables.

I never feel stressed when transporting or storing these items this way, and don't think that any minute space saving by taking them out of the original box is worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
The retail box is well designed, form fitting and very robust, with a separate compartment for accessories. I looked at various ways to transport the mic and couldn't come up with a better or space saving design.
There’s a lot to be said for sticking to the box they ship them in. After all, they SHIP them in that box, and it’s not likely that a microphone is going to get handled any rougher than while it is being shipped from factory to a shop or wherever. If it’s a cardboard box, a bit of gaffer might be all that is needed to keep it from falling apart.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search