The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Safely Carrying Your Mics
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear
Safely Carrying Your Mics

Hello All!

I need some advice from the GS hive mind on an issue. I recently bought a few Pelican Cases for my most valuable remote recording equipment, Pelican AIR 1555's in this case. I got some sheet open cell foam to use as the interior padding as it is easily available and easily cut. It occurred to me after the fact that mic manufacturer's use a different type of foam in their cases.

The question becomes, would open cell polyurethane foam have any latent VOC's that could break down the mylar used as microphone diaphragm material or anything else associated with the mics?

I've got 10 mics in this one case, and don't want the diaphragms to melt down on me due to improper storage!

Thanks,
Rob
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

I don't know about VOCs, but there is a risk of foam particles getting into places you don't want them to be as the foam abrades and breaks down over time.

I store my mics inside these tubes, which then go inside of Pelican-type foam cases. The 0.79" diameter are perfect for 20 mm mics, and the 0.87" fit 22 mm.
They are very similar to what Schoeps CMC bodies come with, but are available in different sizes and diameters to suit the mics you have. Item 2018T21 is perfect for Line Audio mics.
https://www.mcmaster.com/shipping-tubes

Discussion thread on this subject:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=190936.0
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

I also would recommend against simply storing your microphones directly in the foam. Either the tubes that voltronic recommended, or I simply just put the mics in some plastic bags (with silica gel packets) before putting them in the case.

-Mike
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Safely carrying or storing? Safely carrying was solved for me by Mark Donahue's method. Those Peli 1075 are ideal.
How do you pack your mics?

But storing in airless ziplock bags seems to be sensible.
https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/in...7amfah7bq71ki6
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I also would recommend against simply storing your microphones directly in the foam. Either the tubes that voltronic recommended, or I simply just put the mics in some plastic bags (with silica gel packets) before putting them in the case.
Just a note of warning: make sure the silicagel packets do not touch the mic body directly. I once had a pair of Røde Nickel plated SDC's severely corroded where the packet touched the metal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Good to know, thanks for that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Just a note of warning: make sure the silicagel packets do not touch the mic body directly. I once had a pair of Røde Nickel plated SDC's severely corroded where the packet touched the metal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Safely carrying or storing? Safely carrying was solved for me by Mark Donahue's method. Those Peli 1075 are ideal.
How do you pack your mics?

But storing in airless ziplock bags seems to be sensible.
https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/in...7amfah7bq71ki6
If you read Klaus’s note carefully, he recommends
storing condenser mics in UNSEALED plastic bags.
Use of SEALED plastic bags with silica gel is only for “overly humidified” mics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have to remind myself constantly to not 'slam' the trunk when carrying my ribbon mics - it can cause sever pressure impacts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When slamming a trunk the air pressure comes from all sides of the microphone and so an open system such as a ribbon mic will not be affected at all. The ones to worry about are your pressure omnis.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
If you read Klaus’s note carefully, he recommends
storing condenser mics in UNSEALED plastic bags.
Use of SEALED plastic bags with silica gel is only for “overly humidified” mics.
This is the same advice I got recently from David Josephson after having a pair of mk221's repaired after getting serious damage from humidity in a hurricane. Unless you are in an area with very high humidity, it seems like storing them in open plastic bags is the way to go. In fact, he said that some of the silica gel packs can make things worse since you could be introducing humidity where there isn't any if they've already absorbed as much water as possible. I noticed this with some "DriBox" units I have - they turn color so quickly that I'd have to constantly 'recharge' them...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search