The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What mic or mics should I buy
Old 4 weeks ago
What mic or mics should I buy

Question for my music heads: What mic or mics should I buy? Recording unplugged music, singer/songwriters, max 4 piece bands, more likely cajon than real drums. Location is on a balcony (yup, there is wind and a little traffic noise). I have 200 € to burn. What I got: (3 condensers, 3 dynamic) Studio Project Little Square Mic, AKG Perception 220, Thomann CC 100, tbone MB 58 Beta, tbone MB 75 beta, Beyerdynamic trash mic.
I am tempted to get a SM7B later on. Downside is, we‘re also shooting video and you don‘t see much of a face behind the SM7B.
Thanks in advance, any useful advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanizer View Post
I am tempted to get a SM7B later on. Downside is, we‘re also shooting video and you don‘t see much of a face behind the SM7B.
Nor much output level, compared with a lot of other mics, even dynamics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Yup, heard about the level thing, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Make sure you get a dead cat (wind shield) on the mic(s) or blimp. The minute you mentioned outside balcony, wind could ruin anything you do. Mic won't matter much then.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have good results just looking for a position where the live sound is really good and then just using MS or XY mics. You can do a lot wrong when micing every single instrument and/or DI some and then multitrack and then mix. If you're not a pro and I am not...

I didn't use real high end stuff.
A Lewitt DGT650 provided the best results, but is out of your budget (about 500,-).
A bit over your budget but really a bargain is the Zoom H6 coming with two mic-capsules (XY and MS) for 300,-. Esp. interesting when using a camera, too. I connect the line out to the mic in of my Sony Alpha 6300 and use either other inputs of the Zoom for extra tracks (voc. etc) or to make a safety backup with 10 db lower gain on the internal sd card.
Out of convenience I have one of the older Zoom Music-Cams, the q4. The picture quality is average at best, but the mics are good. Our drummer, who really studied sound engineering, couldn't believe how good the audio was when I recorded our last gig.

As pentagon already said, but one can not say it often enough: DON'T forget the windshield!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Used MKH 416 or Rode rip off
Both will survive in extremis and focus on the music
Schoeps CMIT -5 U when you hit the big time
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Used MKH 416 or Rode rip off
Both will survive in extremis and focus on the music
Schoeps CMIT -5 U when you hit the big time
I think I would use the MKH 8060 over the CMiT 5U, as it's an RF condenser - though the Super CMiT is the one to go for when you are in the money
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can place it under the singer so they are singing over the top a little bit, although I tend to like the sound of when the singer is eating the mic, which is harder at this angle.

If it were me, I would use SM57's and SM58's on everything and maybe slip a condenser in as a "room" mic to capture the blend of the band as best you can. As someone else already mentioned, you'd be surprised what you can get with one well placed mic to capture the whole band/performance. And then the spot mics can supplement the mix as needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
what mic should i buy?
I have €200 to burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john willett View Post
i think i would use the MKH 8060...
MKH 8060 = €1,000

Gotta love Gearslutz!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
MKH 8060 = €1,000

Gotta love Gearslutz!
I was quoting RoLo about what to use when you are in the money, NOT answering the original query.

That was clear in my reply.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search