The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Upgrading gear, input welcome
Old 13th July 2019
Here for the gear

Upgrading gear, input welcome

Hello, all!

I haven't totally made up my mind on this, but I am strongly considering selling one of my instruments (tuba player) and using the funds to upgrade my personal recording equipment. My set of personal gear hasn't changed much in the last few years, since I've spent that time working full time (and then some) as the audio engineer for a University. I'm moving to a new job that is full-time faculty of audio at a different University, and so I hope to get back to freelance work on the side.

Selling this instrument would be a big deal for me, as I've been playing tuba for close to 15 years now, and just completed a DMA in the thing. That being said, I have had way more professional success in audio, and really do enjoy it, so it seems worth it to me. Although it's still something I'm coming to terms with, it appears that my career track has decidedly moved away from the tuba and over to audio. Besides, I have a second tuba that plays even better, so I'll still keep my chops up! And as it turns out, I love playing the weird, gnarly, experimental side of music, and I was never going to make a living playing that anyways!

All of that is to say that whatever I buy with the funds from this sale need to go towards some gear that will last me a long time, and need to be worth the money. I want to purchase a pair of cardioid mics, and a pair of omni mics, and with the tuba sale I should have around $5k to work with. I've always specialized in classical recital and concert recording, and that's what I'm targeting with this purchase. Here are my thoughts so far, and if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Omni mics: Sennheiser MKH 8020 stereo pair ($2400), Gefell M320 pair (~$2000), Schoeps ($3125), Neumann KM183 pair ($1600)

Cardioids: Sennheiser MKH 8040 pair ($2400), Gefell M300 pair ($1795), Gefell M930 pair ($2250), Schoeps CMC64 pair ($3125)

If possible, I'd love to purchase some odds and ends to fill out my mic locker, such as some Rode NT5s and/or multipattern LDCs. I'd also love to buy some DPAs, but with the budget that I have, they're a little rich for my blood--the Schoeps is about as high as I'll go for a pair. I am partial to the Schoeps as well, having used a hanging pair in the main recital hall at my University for the last two years.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know what you think!
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Best Wishes for your new job and renewed interest in recording on the side.

The main recommendation I can offer is to put your money into the "up front" gear before anything else. I'm talking about mics.

It seems that you agree.

One sort of newer development on the mic scene is the Neumann KM A amplifier.
It is the successor to the KM 100 amplifier and the newer Neumann accepts the whole range of new Neumann small diaphragm capsules.

A fine alternative at about $1200 each.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting (maybe) fun fact: Walter Sear started out as a classical Tuba
player as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Best Wishes for your new job and renewed interest in recording on the side.

The main recommendation I can offer is to put your money into the "up front" gear before anything else. I'm talking about mics.

It seems that you agree.

One sort of newer development on the mic scene is the Neumann KM A amplifier.
It is the successor to the KM 100 amplifier and the newer Neumann accepts the whole range of new Neumann small diaphragm capsules.

A fine alternative at about $1200 each.
I was comparing the newer Neuman KM A amp body to the shorter body KM100 and can only find this statement from Neumann outlining the differences: "The KM A analog output stage with P48 phantom power has a switch for pre-attenuation of 10 dB. The microphones can thus handle levels of up to 152 dB (depending on the capsule type).

The dimensions (diameter 22 mm, length 93 mm) of the analog KM A and digital KM D output stages are identical. As a result, all accessories can be used in combination with both output stages.
Upon request, a mechanical adapter AR 100 KA can be supplied to adapt microphone capsules of the KM 100 system (AK series) to the KM A and KM D output stages"

The AR 100KA adapter can be seen here: https://en-de.neumann.com/ar-100-ka

So you have access to a lot of (ie 7) different pickup heads (AK20-AK50), at less than Schoeps prices (and comparable to the MKH 8000 series, minus the long-awaited but never-delivered 8030)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search