The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MKH 8020 discontinued?
Old 27th June 2019
MKH 8020 discontinued?

Has anyone heard any news that the MKH 8020 is being discontinued? Or maybe I'm totally out of the loop.

I ordered a pair through Sweetwater. We didn't hear any thing for quite a while. There was no ETA for the mics...Crickets.

So my sales rep looked into it and he received word from the Sennheiser reps that the 8020 is now discontinued.

I emailed Sennheiser myself and I got this vague response,

"I am not showing that we have inventory of this product and that it is being discontinued."

If the 8020 is discontinued, I am assuming the 8000 series is discontinued. But the bigger question is...is their a new product on the horizon?

Anyway, looks like the MKH 20 is still available, which I'll be ordering.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

No, it is NOT discontinued.

Fake news.
Old 27th June 2019
Good to hear! So what's the REAL news, Hudson? What's the scoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
No, it is NOT discontinued.

Fake news.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Can be ordered from any dealer.

I have been told by Sweeteater on other occasions that a piece of gear was discontinued when it was not discontinued. It depends if you are dealing with a pro there or not.

I did recently (within in the last 2 weeks) buy some more MKH 8020 mics. Luv the low bass extension on these muthas.
Old 27th June 2019
Quote:
Can be ordered from any dealer.

I have been told by Sweeteater on other occasions that a piece of gear was discontinued when it was not discontinued. It depends if you are dealing with a pro there or not.

I did recently (within in the last 2 weeks) buy some more MKH 8020 mics. Luv the low bass extension on these muthas.
Ok, good news. But I think it was the Senny reps who delivered the info to the Sweetwater sales rep.
Old 27th June 2019
Actually, I'm told now it was the distributor of the mics that confirmed they are discontinued.

Not sure how the whole system works between distributors, parent companies, and retail businesses.

I really want a pair of these mics though.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

No they didn't confirm anything!

Buy them today!

In stock at ThomannUSA
In stock at Thomannmusic.com

For cello move to Coles 4038 ribbon.
Old 27th June 2019
Quote:
No they didn't confirm anything!

Buy them today!

In stock at ThomannUSA

For cello move to Coles 4038 ribbon.
Ok sounds good, Plush. Thanks
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
In stock at ThomannUSA
That's a European dealer (which stocks a lot of stuff). Maybe there's a clue in there.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Those silly tariffs! Haha.

D.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Nut

Still available at B&H...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Condenser.html

(No affiliation.)
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Those silly tariffs!
20% VAT included in Thomann 2499 € Europea price for a stereo pair: 2082.5 € ~ 2374 $ VAT excluded. Professionals and non European customers don't pay VAT.

2400 $ in USA ?

Last edited by didier.brest; 28th June 2019 at 06:39 AM..
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Head
AFAIK Thomann will disallow you from purchasing Sennheiser products if you are located in the USA.

Maybe someone has had a different experience?
Old 28th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
Still available at B&H...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Condenser.html

(No affiliation.)
Thanks for the link. It says special order so, not being in stock, I wonder what would happen if someone tried to order them.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Thanks for the link. It says special order so, not being in stock, I wonder what would happen if someone tried to order them.
It looks like a lot of their Schoeps stuff is special order, so that may not be significant.
Old 28th June 2019
Word from Sennheiser rep here is that they manufacture them infrequently and so sometimes run out of stock on 8020s for the while.

The MZD8000 digital module will be discontinued: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/mzd-8000
Old 28th June 2019
Matched pair discontinued

Ok, it's been sorted out with purchasing at Sweetwater. Here's the info in case it happens to you...

I asked for a matched pair of the 8020s (item no. 506288), which came back as discontinued.

You have to purchase the mics separately (item no. 506287) but they should be within 1 db across the spectrum.

Glad I'm getting the mics after all!

Thanks everyone!
Old 28th June 2019
Here for the gear

Odd, both the 8020 (#506287) and 8020 Stereo Pair (#506288) are still listed as current on the most recent Dealer Price sheet (dated 07/01/2019) and are not on the Discontinuation list they sent out last month. Possibly just an oversight
Old 28th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paul View Post
Odd, both the 8020 (#506287) and 8020 Stereo Pair (#506288) are still listed as current on the most recent Dealer Price sheet (dated 07/01/2019) and are not on the Discontinuation list they sent out last month. Possibly just an oversight
Just talked to Sennheiser and they confirmed the matched pair is still available.

I'll get it sorted out.

In any event - it's all just a false alarm.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ok, it's been sorted out with purchasing at Sweetwater. Here's the info in case it happens to you...

I asked for a matched pair of the 8020s (item no. 506288), which came back as discontinued.

You have to purchase the mics separately (item no. 506287) but they should be within 1 db across the spectrum.

Glad I'm getting the mics after all!

Thanks everyone!
Uncertainty situation settled....but re-opens the old question, oft-discussed here, of whether pair matching of tightly spec-ed mics is necessary...if they're already rolling off the production line at +\- 1dB max sample variation ?
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
...if they're already rolling off the production line at +\- 1dB max sample variation ?
The problem is that they are not "rolling off the production line". It's not like they make millions of these a year. Or even 100,000. Or even 10,000. I'm willing to guess publicly that most mics are made in batches (which is a different manufacturing method than a production line) and that most assembly is done by hand, either with special tooling to help or not.

If these things were memory chips being made in a fully automated fab by Samsung, I'd say it's unlikely that pair matching would be necessary. But at some level below the memory chip level pair matching is going to be desirable.

But here's the question -- what level is *that* level?
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
The problem is that they are not "rolling off the production line". It's not like they make millions of these a year. Or even 100,000. Or even 10,000. I'm willing to guess publicly that most mics are made in batches (which is a different manufacturing method than a production line) and that most assembly is done by hand, either with special tooling to help or not.

If these things were memory chips being made in a fully automated fab by Samsung, I'd say it's unlikely that pair matching would be necessary. But at some level below the memory chip level pair matching is going to be desirable.

But here's the question -- what level is *that* level?
But, if as quoted above, the standard inter-sample variation is 1dB (or less)....and if that figure is deemed acceptable for matching...then pair matching (for many folk) could be deemed redundant ? If instead it were +\- 3 (or more) dB then an excellent case for selection, measurement and matching is validated. Most mfrs in the Schoeps/ Rode/Sennheiser league realise this, and offer the service, for a fee
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
I waited 9 months for a black pair of MKH 800 and gave up.....
The MZD 30 Stereo MS clip is now obsolete
Its not looking good.

Roger
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I waited 9 months for a black pair of MKH 800 and gave up.....
The MZD 30 Stereo MS clip is now obsolete
Its not looking good.

Roger
This is a real worry. Especially the AES42 digital stuff, too, being unavailable.

I have found that in Australia when one wants to buy a high end mic, new, retail, all sorts of explanations abound about the delivery time when you lay your money down. It seems that almost all are made to order now. I understand about the retailer not being able to stock such "esoteric" items but one would think the euro manuf would have stock and its just a shipping exercise.

Second hand is how I have bought my last few mics.

Still thinking about a pair of Twins, though. But will have to dump quite a few mics to afford them.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
Clearly there are various priorities and economic viability factors at play when a mfr discontinues a product line. It can be a slow shepherding process toward a newly evolved replacement, with the current line being maintained while demand exists....or something much more abrupt and unexpected (on the buying public's part)

A good example of this is the maintenance of the MKHxx mic production while the MKH80xx range slowly expanded...with the notable absence of the MKH8030. The product line overlap there existed for, what....10 or more years ?

I was surprised by that generosity on Sennheiser's part....many other companies would have shut down the earlier line a lot more promptly, but maybe the same personnel were in the end assembling both types, and alternating between the 2 production lines, as demand dictated ?

The consequences of an unexpected discontinuation can be many: the used market soars to crazy heights as scarcity kicks in, and Chinese fakes make their appearance, to fill the demand vacuum.

Last edited by studer58; 29th June 2019 at 03:19 AM..
Old 29th June 2019
Quote:
But, if as quoted above, the standard inter-sample variation is 1dB (or less)....and if that figure is deemed acceptable for matching...then pair matching (for many folk) could be deemed redundant ? If instead it were +\- 3 (or more) dB then an excellent case for selection, measurement and matching is validated. Most mfrs in the Schoeps/ Rode/Sennheiser league realise this, and offer the service, for a fee
It seems to me matching even makes less difference with AB omnis when precise stereo imaging isn't even possible. Perhaps a significantly unmatched omni pair could result in more image wondering...not sure.
Old 29th June 2019
Quote:
Uncertainty situation settled....but re-opens the old question, oft-discussed here, of whether pair matching of tightly spec-ed mics is necessary...if they're already rolling off the production line at +\- 1dB max sample variation ?
They come in a different box. That is about the biggest difference.

I’ve bought an unmatched pair and matched pair of the mkh8040 and either worked together perfectly with the same gain setting.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear
I like the MKH 800 V much
Different from my MKH 80s
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Actually, I'm told now it was the distributor of the mics that confirmed they are discontinued.

Not sure how the whole system works between distributors, parent companies, and retail businesses.

I really want a pair of these mics though.
There is no "distributor" in the USA.

Sennheiser USA is wholly owned by Sennheiser Germany - it's the same company.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search