The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MKH 8020 discontinued?
Old 30th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
There is no "distributor" in the USA.

Sennheiser USA is wholly owned by Sennheiser Germany - it's the same company.
Actually, that's what Sennheiser said when I spoke with them. And you would know having worked for them.

I have a theory that someone at Sweetwater screwed up, maybe in purchasing, and is coving their a$$ haha
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I have a theory that someone at Sweetwater screwed up, maybe in purchasing, and is coving their a$$ haha
It's NEVER good to lie to a customer - It's far far better to apologise and tell the truth.
Old 30th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
It's NEVER good to lie to a customer - It's far far better to apologise and tell the truth.
Agree! I hope my theory is wrong. Still, pretty darn excited to get my 8020s.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I waited 9 months for a black pair of MKH 800 and gave up.....
The MZD 30 Stereo MS clip is now obsolete
Its not looking good.

Roger
It has been clear for the last 5 years where they are heading. I should try and get two more MKH30 while they are out there, maybe one MHH50 for the sake of it.

Of course sales are down. No MKH8030, so low 8000 series sales. Not much sales of the old MKH800/30/40 series, as the new series is there - incomplete.

At the same time, the firm is almost hiding the fact they have (or were the forefront of) top notch studio mics.

Of course they do not sell a lot, as even bigger German outfits that record Belgian orchestras for DG use Sennheiser MK4 and MK8 mics as spots. Really highend at 300-700 a piece. Luckily the off-axis response is not as bad as could be expected.

The end of an era.

I could offer two MKH800twins for 12.000 euro each, then I can buy two Rode TF M50 mics. I will include the shockmounts for that price
Old 1st July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Its not looking good.

Roger

How hard would it be to take apart the outer tube and spry paint it yourself? The outer tube is held to the inner guts with ONE screw. You do have to remove four tiny screws that hold the adjusting knobs and the knobs themselves. It is really not that hard.

Best,

Da-Hong
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear
don't want to spoil the ship for a happeth of Tar D

Will look into it
The local Aston Martin repair shop has a hi tech paint cabin.....
Need that Senny paint code.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
don't want to spoil the ship for a happeth of Tar D

Will look into it
The local Aston Martin repair shop has a hi tech paint cabin.....
Need that Senny paint code.
Rather take it to an anodising shop and get it done as part of a larger job run...you'll get a better finish than spray paint. Better still would be powder coating, less reflective and more durable as a surface. Quite cheap if you can find a reputable local coating workshop. Or buy it as an exorbitantly priced spare part from Sennheiser?

Last edited by studer58; 2nd July 2019 at 06:47 AM..
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Addict

Or, just paint it with a magic marker. You will cut down the reflective glare by a very large amount. It will cost next to nothing and is reversible.
Old 2nd July 2019
We were the first to ask for the dark finish that was available on the MKH80 for the MKH800. They couldn't see why it was such an issue to have the mics in champagne rather than TV Grey.
We took delivery of 6 mics in champagne and it took Sennheiser almost a year to deliver the replacement tubes and even then, half of them said MKH80. We have a great relationship with our dealer (Parsons Audio) and they kept on Sennheiser until they delivered the correct bodies.
They suggested all the above solutions. However, when buying a mic that costs $3k USD we thought spraying a coat of rattle can black on the mics was not the look we were going for. Also, AFAIK, the grills are not aluminum, which means that you can not put the body in the anodizing tank. All of these processes have costs associated with them. Spending another couple hundred bucks to modify a mic body so that it looks like the identical part from another microphone that already exists seemed to us to be foolish.

As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
We were the first to ask for the dark finish that was available on the MKH80 for the MKH800. They couldn't see why it was such an issue to have the mics in champagne rather than TV Grey.
I agree....you'd think you were asking for something completely unreasonable and 'special edition'...rather than Sennheiser simply taking a few tubes to another part of the plant for finishing (or shipping them out to another facility, if that's what it took to action your request) In addition, your purchase of 6 mics was a considerable one, which one would expect would expedite your request ?

That's the delight in engaging with smaller outfits, like Royer, Samar, Line Audio etc....they have a GS presence here and are typically responsive to reasonable requests like yours, which makes the aloof distance of the 'complacent and established old guard' more frustrating, by comparison.

Does anyone make black heat shrink in the width of the MKH80/800 tubes ? That would be a quick and cheap DIY solution...
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear
If Senn discontinues the original MKHxx series, prices will shoot up and they will be come legendary unobtainium.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post

Does anyone make black heat shrink in the width of the MKH80/800 tubes ? That would be a quick and cheap DIY solution...
Krylon Ultra Flat Black. In the R&R days, we used to paint EVERYTHING with that paint. Made stuff disappear on stage.

JK of course.

And FWIW, Samar mics are the brightest, blingiest silver mic in the air. I love my Samar but it could be a beacon to all the ships at sea.

D.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Have used matt black gaffa to cover mics for opera recordings. It works very well, the mics really do disappear.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

I forgot, our MKH800 twins are the matt black versions.

The price just went up from 12.000 each to 17.000 each ! I'll even throw in a roll of white gaffa, for those occasions you need them to be visible !

I also have three black Royer SF-1, discontinued
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I forgot, our MKH800 twins are the matt black versions.
As far as I am aware the MKH 800 TWINS were *never* made in matt black - only in satin nickel and Nextel.

The standard MKH 800 was satin nickel only (as far as I remember) - theough they did make some in the TV dark green colour like the MKH 80 for German TV.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Tell tv to stuff it up their behind.
Old 8th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
in that instance they may prefer the satin nickel.
Old 8th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I think that could amount to a bum steer ...
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
I think that could amount to a bum steer ...
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Addict

Getting rather warm surround sound...
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Those Sennys always did have a rather "dark" sound
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Those Sennys always did have a rather "dark" sound
Because the symmetrical capsule RF mic. has a better bottom end than most directional mics and a natutral "unhyped" sound.
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Its not looking good.

Roger
Wonder if anyone knows of a source for the MZD 30 (new or used). Or perhaps Shapeways could replicate one?
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Foof View Post
Wonder if anyone knows of a source for the MZD 30 (new or used). Or perhaps Shapeways could replicate one?
You can use the Rycote back-to-back clips.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hot off the printer.
http://shpws.me/RnwY
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hot off the printer.
http://shpws.me/RnwY
Similar to this earlier version, but the new one looks better since it has the square section clip to better accomodate the MKH30: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1MPirp35x8
Old 2 weeks ago
I'm sure I saw some MZD 30 clips for sale the other day at my local dealer. They were on the shelf next to the MKH8030 mics.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Why lament the non-appearance of the MKH8030 when you get its lookalike cousin (CM180) for less than half of what the original would have cost...had it reached the marketplace.

Someone here (jnorman..Tourtelot ?) received a trial sample and has yet to make any comment on performance.
If you spend a little time wandering the product homepage you'll find photos, prices specs. It even looks very much like what the 8030 would have....

https://b9audio.com/
Attached Thumbnails
MKH 8020 discontinued?-image.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search