The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

News Flash about the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
Old 23rd June 2019
  #1
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Lightbulb News Flash about the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording

This sub-forum, is NOT just about acoustic music. The title of the forum says it all!

This is the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording" forum. Anything that has to do with mobile and location recording and production is discussed here.

All genres of music and sound production are welcomed as long as it has to do with on location work, either via portable rigs (of any size) or mobile recording rigs like large and small trucks, vans, RVs, boats, aircraft, pretty much any type of vehicle.

If someone comes to our fabulous Remote Recording forum and wants to talk about their (mobile or location) rock, folk, funk, country, gospel, pop (or anything else) project, DO NOT turn them away because you believe the forum (that I started way back when) is something different than what I originally had envisioned.

I would appreciate the full support of every forum member on this matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Old 25th June 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
What makes you feel that some of the examples you mentioned would not be welcome to be discussed? I see all sorts of discussions about those subjects all the time here. I am always interested to read about such subjects, even if I have nothing to say about them. Have I missed some unfortunate event?
Old 25th June 2019
  #3
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
One of our members suggested that a poster should direct his "non-acoustic music" discussion to another forum because "this forum is only about acoustic music."

I since deleted that posted and created this thread, because I didn't want that to create the wrong impression. Many folks have told me, they don't post on this forum, because it's an "acoustic music" forum.

I also mentioned this in the "non-acoustic music" thread where the poster posted his misinformation.

I have some ideas on how we can straighten this up. I plan to address my thoughts with Jules the next time I have a chat with him.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
What makes you feel that some of the examples you mentioned would not be welcome to be discussed? I see all sorts of discussions about those subjects all the time here. I am always interested to read about such subjects, even if I have nothing to say about them. Have I missed some unfortunate event?
Old 26th June 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
This sub-forum, is NOT just about acoustic music. The title of the forum says it all!

This is the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording" forum. Anything that has to do with mobile and location recording and production is discussed here.

All genres of music and sound production are welcomed as long as it has to do with on location work, either via portable rigs (of any size) or mobile recording rigs like large and small trucks, vans, RVs, boats, aircraft, pretty much any type of vehicle.

If someone comes to our fabulous Remote Recording forum and wants to talk about their (mobile or location) rock, folk, funk, country, gospel, pop (or anything else) project, DO NOT turn them away because you believe the forum (that I started way back when) is something different than what I originally had envisioned.

I would appreciate the full support of every forum member on this matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
full support for this!

i'm crossing the lines quite often too and i'm getting the feeling that anything else than recording/mixing of classical music is getting belittled by some traditionalist in this forum* - which imo is a shame 'cause there is a lot to be learned from other fields of our profession which can get integrated in 'our' little world at a high profit! this involves gear, technique, etiquette, jargon etc.

* happens the other way 'round/in other forums too...
Old 26th June 2019
  #5
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Well, I'm taking a new stand on this dynamic and I'm not "taking prisoners" in regards to addressing those "traditionalist" you reference that belittle folks that want to discuss their non-classical mobile and location production projects on my forum.




Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
full support for this!

i'm crossing the lines quite often too and i'm getting the feeling that anything else than recording/mixing of classical music is getting belittled by some traditionalist in this forum* - which imo is a shame 'cause there is a lot to be learned from other fields of our profession which can get integrated in 'our' little world at a high profit! this involves gear, technique, etiquette, jargon etc.

* happens the other way 'round/in other forums too...
Old 26th June 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
I agree 100% and I came from a remote R&R background, now recording "acoustic" music for the most part. I want to hear it all!!

BTW, who's doing the recordings for the upcoming Rolling Stones Tour? Hire me. I have experience doing just that (but in 1981 if that is a hinderance.

Any thoughts on changing the forum header to something that folks might find more welcoming?

D.
Old 27th June 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I agree 100% and I came from a remote R&R background, now recording "acoustic" music for the most part. I want to hear it all!!

BTW, who's doing the recordings for the upcoming Rolling Stones Tour? Hire me. I have experience doing just that (but in 1981 if that is a hinderance.

Any thoughts on changing the forum header to something that folks might find more welcoming?

D.
...not sure you'd want to record them these days, at least nowhere near the stage: i counted 100 (sic!) clair 12am wedges plus an almost endless amount of amp racks to drive them and the pa - here's a pic of (some of) the amp racks before they went out:


(sorry, this clearly belongs in the live sound forum but i just couldn't resist...)
Attached Thumbnails
News Flash about the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording-resized_20190607_093459.jpg  
Old 27th June 2019
  #8
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
During the Farm Aid 2018 gig we were on, (We were one of the mobile units for the live broadcast,) I asked one of my friends why he didn't frequent the Remote Possibilities... forum like he used to back in the day, and he responded, "it's all about classical music," and he felt that his posts would go nowhere, so he posts on the 'High-End' and 'So Much Gear, So Little Time' forums. I was taken aback by his comment, and that was last September.

I have a few ideas that could turn everything around. I plan to bring this to Jules' attention very soon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I agree 100% and I came from a remote R&R background, now recording "acoustic" music for the most part. I want to hear it all!!

BTW, who's doing the recordings for the upcoming Rolling Stones Tour? Hire me. I have experience doing just that (but in 1981 if that is a hinderance.

Any thoughts on changing the forum header to something that folks might find more welcoming?

D.
Old 27th June 2019
  #9
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
During the Farm Aid 2018 gig we were on, (We were one of the mobile units for the live broadcast,) I asked one of my friends why he didn't frequent the Remote Possibilities... forum like he used to back in the day, and he responded, "it's all about classical music," and he felt that his posts would go nowhere, so he posts on the 'High-End' and 'So Much Gear, So Little Time' forums. I was taken aback by his comment, and that was last September.

I have a few ideas that could turn everything around. I plan to bring this to Jules' attention very soon.
Yes, this forum is the natural home for those recording classical music as it is almost always recorded on location in a live acoustic.

But the title does say"Acoustic Music and Location Recording" so would cover *all* music genres and I agree with Steve that all should be welcome here.
Old 27th June 2019
  #10
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Thank you John,

I have some ideas that should improve this forum immensely. I will be addressing it once I talk to Jules about it.

I trust everyone will be quite satisfied by the changes I will be proposing.

Stay tuned, fellow Remotesters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Yes, this forum is the natural home for those recording classical music as it is almost always recorded on location in a live acoustic.

But the title does say"Acoustic Music and Location Recording" so would cover *all* music genres and I agree with Steve that all should be welcome here.
Old 27th July 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Simmosonic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
This sub-forum, is NOT just about acoustic music. The title of the forum says it all!
So pleased to see this message!
Old 30th July 2019
  #12
Gear Addict
 
lukedamrosch's Avatar
 

Agreed!

I was extremely interested, for example, in some of the comments shared a while back from various engineers with experience working on ECM releases, and very grateful for some of the valuable information shared
Old 2nd August 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Acoustic Music

Always wished there was a separate section for acoustic music apart from remote recording. This section does kind of go there and I realize that people recording purely acoustic music in the studio is a small subset but we are out here.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
Most of us do many kinds of acoustic music in both live and studio situations. Feel free to ask about anything related to recording and production of acoustic music.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #15
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
I have a simple fix for this, and I've been doing my best to connect with Jules to discuss my thoughts, yet we have not connected as if yet.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Funny. That is the only type of music I record.

D.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 

A large number of this forum's readers have no interest in dealing with hot back lines and over the top loud amped music.
Hugh
Old 3rd August 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I have a simple fix for this, and I've been doing my best to connect with Jules to discuss my thoughts, yet we have not connected as if yet.
Simple fix could be the addition of sub-categories like many of the front index page listings already have: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/

It probably doesn't require as many sub headings as the DAW Talk group, or Audio Life, for example....but a few sub categories like the Studio Building or Mastering forums have could serve this group quite well ?

One parameter of sub-category differentiation could be the need of location recording to necessarily interact/interface with broadcast, video or sound reinforcement...versus those situations where it's a simple location acoustic session or concert, stand-alone, with no such additional 'interconnections' ?
Old 3rd August 2019
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
Simmosonic's Avatar
 

All that’s needed to solve this problem is to take the redundancy out of this forum’s title by changing it from:

‘Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording’

to simply:

‘Acoustic Music and Location Recording’
Old 3rd August 2019
  #20
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
This was not the case before the name change and forum description to include acoustic music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse View Post
A large number of this forum's readers have no interest in dealing with hot back lines and over the top loud amped music.
Hugh
Old 3rd August 2019
  #21
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
That's correct. I plan for at least four sub-categories. And, other changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Simple fix could be the addition of sub-categories like many of the front index page listings already have: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/

It probably doesn't require as many sub headings as the DAW Talk group, or Audio Life, for example....but a few sub categories like the Studio Building or Mastering forums have could serve this group quite well ?

One parameter of sub-category differentiation could be the need of location recording to necessarily interact/interface with broadcast, video or sound reinforcement...versus those situations where it's a simple location acoustic session or concert, stand-alone, with no such additional 'interconnections' ?
Old 3rd August 2019
  #22
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Nope, that's not gonna happen anytime soon, because it isn't just about acoustic music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
All that’s needed to solve this problem is to take the redundancy out of this forum’s title by changing it from:

‘Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording’

to simply:

‘Acoustic Music and Location Recording’
Old 3rd August 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
That's correct. I plan for at least four sub-categories. And, other changes.
looking forward to that 'cause i'm doing several things...

[recording of classical music, recording and live mixing of otherwise unamplified ensembles/orchestra/choirs when playing along with electronics/jazz ensembles, live mixing (foh and/or monitors) and broadcasting of all genre and type of ensembles/groups/bands]

...all of which relate to 'location recording'.

would also appreciate options to distinguish between needs of newbies and professionals and maybe gear/technique related questions vs less specific topics!

same would apply to other forums: i get to read really basic questions in the high end forum as it seems that these days, everyone and his/her dog can afford to buy high end gear but has absolutely no clue how to use it...
Old 4th August 2019
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
Simmosonic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Nope, that's not gonna happen anytime soon, because it isn't just about acoustic music.
Agreed!

My suggestion was an off-the-cuff attempt to clarify a difference between ‘recording acoustic music’ and ‘recording on location’. As you have pointed out, it’s not relevant because this forum is (thankfully) not just about recording acoustic music.

However, with the terms ‘remote possibilities’, ‘acoustic music’ and ‘location recording’ making up the forum title, it would be easy for newcomers and browsers to assume that this forum is only about recording acoustic music but not at home or in the studio. That’s a bit unfortunate because this forum has become a great place to ask questions about recording acoustic music in any scenario. It would be very difficult to find as much expertise on that subject (as is amassed here) in any other place in the world. And that’s before we even consider the other expertise available here that is independent of the type of music being captured.

Bring on the sub categories!
Old 4th August 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
The challenge resting upon Steve's (Remoteness ) broad shoulders will be facilitating the diversity that currently resides in this forum to exist happily within the aptly described new sub-categories...without atomising or "silo-ing" the present community....which I believe has enormous breadth of experience and expertise.

I hope we all feel encouraged to 'graze across' the new sub-genres and not become ensconced in little enclaves. I don't believe there's a lot wrong with the way this forum has evolved to date, but appreciate that it could be a little daunting or puzzling to newcomers to decide whether their questions or concerns are likely to be given attention....perhaps due to the current forum's title.

This forum is a strong and largely collegial and respectful one, and I expect those qualities will remain even after the upcoming 'structural re-engineering'
Old 4th August 2019
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
Simmosonic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
This forum is a strong and largely collegial and respectful one, and I expect those qualities will remain even after the upcoming 'structural re-engineering'
Absolutely.

Thankfully, forums and similar are ‘living documents’ and can be changed/modified/tweaked as necessary over time. People might complain a bit at first (as they do whenever the more dynamic mediums such as Facebook, Instagram or Youtube make a change, for example), but ultimately if the changes are good people will embrace them and things stay ‘fresh’.
Old 4th August 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
IMO the core problem that has existed since the inception of GS is that there never has been a dedicated Acoustic Recording forum, split in Location Acoustic and Studio Acoustic. Now the typical "Remote" forum (which has traditionally only been partially "acoustic") has been occupied by those who seeked refuge from the typical pop-rock-studio-produced sound crowds in the other fora. I need to sift through several fora in order to find my snippets of interest, which are mainly acoustic oriented. Given how specific acoustic (location) recording is it would only have been logical to have a special forum for it. "Recording the room" is very far removed from "killing the room" as we see it in other branches of the recording business. Entirely different skill sets.
Old 4th August 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 

One solution would be to have a main forum called Classical Music Recording (Studio and Live).

Its a specialist area and could easily support its own forum. It would move all of us classical posters immediately from this forum.
Old 4th August 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Earcatcher has nailed the specific problem: A sub forum designated toward protocols to accommodate rather than muzzle room reflections is needed for a significant number of genre specific musical styles. Limiting the focus to just classical music does not recognize the needs of Bluegrass, Jazz, and several other acoustic Americana art forms. Mic choice and placement to synergistically work with room reflections is the real key to the transparent delivery most of us are seeking in both live capture and the studio These protocols are diametrically opposed to the S.O.P. deployed today to deliver ground pounding bass and screaming fender guitars. They are two entirely different worlds and need to be treated as such.
Hugh
Old 4th August 2019
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
looking forward to that 'cause i'm doing several things...

would also appreciate options to distinguish between needs of newbies and professionals and maybe gear/technique related questions vs less specific topics!

same would apply to other forums: i get to read really basic questions in the high end forum as it seems that these days, everyone and his/her dog can afford to buy high end gear but has absolutely no clue how to use it...
The only thing is that I'm not a newbie, as I've been doing it for over 50 years, nor a professional, although I hope my results are very nearly at that level, at times anyway. And I do know more or less how to use high end gear, although I'm always learning new things, I hope.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump