The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

News Flash about the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I researched you, since I had no clue who you were and I like to know who I'm dealing with so I can be more helpful and informative about any particular thing we are discussing.
off topic and the post was not addressed at me but this (to 'research' someone) makes me rather sad - and would be pretty much pointless in my case:

i've been using an alias for good reason for ages as i was told that sensitive folks in the field of classical music do not like reading names maybe better known for their work with jazz/blues/rock/'world music' (or even metal?!) - has been working pretty well for me for some 35+ years now.

plus i get to work for international organisations and hence get targeted by various bad boys: i'm not (allowed to) using messengers, i'm not into asocial media, i have to switch to different providers regularly and i need to swap phone numbers and mailaddresses frequently - don't even have a homepage for the five studios i'm running (yet they are running strong for 25+ years).

although i do get to work on high profile productions of all sorts frequently (as right now: badminton is HUGE in asia...), ego-googeling leads to maybe a dozen random results mostly not having anything to do with activities i was involved in - or did you ever try googling your parents or someone living on a remote island?!

'helpful and informative'?! no freaking way! - guess this is valid for a few other folks too.

___

i'm with you though that advancing a gig is highly recommended and talking to system, foh and monitor engineers can tremendously help to sort out things way before the first downbeat - should we get to work together, i'd highly appreciate you'd pick up the phone prior to scrolling the net...
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I must say, I envy the fact that you do not necessarily have to research the people or projects you're about to get involved in. Being a detail oriented individual, I find doing the homework is extremely helpful for me because it gives me a better understanding of what exactly I'm dealing with. IE: if a client contacts me and I don't know much or enough about them, I will look up as much information as I can. I want to better understand what they are about, before our first conversation and of course before I enter the venue that I will be working in. The relative information I have gathered eventually makes it into (what I call) my Location Production File aka Location File which is a document with all sorts of information about the client, the project at hand, the actual location and surrounding area and anything else that could be germain to the project. I distribute crew and client versions to the applicable people involved with the project.

For me, knowing whom I'm dealing with is key in making sure I address them accordingly and that I can bring the proper solution (or resolution) to benefit the cause and affect of the particular situation.

Doing my due diligence is an excellent way to exercise the care that I believe any reasonable business or individual is expected to take before entering into an agreement or production venture with another party. Acting with this certain standard of care is not just for business, I also apply this mindset to whatever I'm getting involved in, whether it's a weekend getaway with friends or a backyard BBQ with some neighborhood friends.

That being said, I do understand what you are saying, and how it works for your concerns. As a matter of fact, I separated my artist/band list into different genres so when it comes those "sensitive" clients or artists, they only see the work that's relevant or appropriate to their style of music.

In the end, there is no "wrong" way in doing things. It's about what works for you.

In any event, I can dig that you may need to go "underground" (for your safety and your client's anonymity) when you explore alternative forms of work.

BTW, you'd be surprised what you can find when you do an online search for your parents. I found lost money that was eventually retrieved. I never needed to compile information about someone living on a remote island, but if I did, I would go offline and off the grid to find that intelligence.

I don't know about you, but the ability to acquire and apply the knowledge I gathered towards my skills is mission critical, whether you believe it's "helpful and informative" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
off topic and the post was not addressed at me but this (to 'research' someone) makes me rather sad - and would be pretty much pointless in my case:

i've been using an alias for good reason for ages as i was told that sensitive folks in the field of classical music do not like reading names maybe better known for their work with jazz/blues/rock/'world music' (or even metal?!) - has been working pretty well for me for some 35+ years now.

plus i get to work for international organisations and hence get targeted by various bad boys: i'm not (allowed to) using messengers, i'm not into asocial media, i have to switch to different providers regularly and i need to swap phone numbers and mailaddresses frequently - don't even have a homepage for the five studios i'm running (yet they are running strong for 25+ years).

although i do get to work on high profile productions of all sorts frequently (as right now: badminton is HUGE in asia...), ego-googeling leads to maybe a dozen random results mostly not having anything to do with activities i was involved in - or did you ever try googling your parents or someone living on a remote island?!

'helpful and informative'?! no freaking way! - guess this is valid for a few other folks too.

___

i'm with you though that advancing a gig is highly recommended and talking to system, foh and monitor engineers can tremendously help to sort out things way before the first downbeat - should we get to work together, i'd highly appreciate you'd pick up the phone prior to scrolling the net...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's quite fascinating that you find my advice, observations and own experiences, defensive and argumentative.
I thought it was equally fascinating when, in the middle of the night, you...

• started a thread from scratch;
• gave it a title;
• used one of my posts from a different thread as the Original Post;
• and then arranged things so that I could neither edit nor delete that post.

In the abstract, I think anyone might find that behavior at least odd. Up close and personal, it really, really pissed me off.

You're a living legend at your day job -- all due respect. You came up with the concept for this forum -- major props for that. But you might not be the right person to run it.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 3 weeks ago at 04:01 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Another strength of this forum is that it feels as though it's largely self-moderated, by largely responsible, informed and helpful folk who want to share their diverse skills, experiences and knowledge...and occasionally seek the wisdom of others.

That Steve only needs to step in overtly and visibly on occasion is a testament to my contention (although I'm sure he deals with stuff "under the hood/behind the scenes" that we're unaware of, too ) That is the stuff that has clearly prompted the current re-naming hiatus.

A forum of this calibre shouldn't need constant nursing and tweaking by a moderator, and I'm confident equilibrium can be restored once the mission and breadth of scope definition is made clear and unambiguous (combined with an all-important welcoming/non-excluding vibe)

Even the off-topic straying is reined in...either by oneself or the gentle insistence of other members, and so it continues to be the informative, humorous, level-headed forum that can hold it's head high and proud in 2019.

It's getting now to that point similar to the famous hit song of soft rock band America in the early 70's : 'So... name the freakin' horse already' !!

I decided back in 2002, that I wanted to have a forum that didn't have all sorts of rules, and that it was indeed "governed" by the folks that frequented the forum. Taking a more passive approach in moderating has (IMHO) brought this to light and upfront, making it (arguably) the best audio board on the Interwebs.

You hit the "nail on the head" when you said, "Another strength of this forum is that it feels as though it's largely self-moderated, by largely responsible, informed and helpful folk who want to share their diverse skills, experiences and knowledge...and occasionally seek the wisdom of others."

The fact that I rarely have to step in overtly (like you said) is a testament to the outstanding job many of you have done to keep things smooth and informative. That said, there is plenty of stuff I'm dealing with behind the scenes. It's how things get done without having all the formality and circumstances in the public eye.

FYI, there are tens of members getting banned or removed from the various forums on a weekly basis. I don't believe I have banned more than twenty members in the nearly seventeen years I have been moderating this forum. And, out of those possible 20 members, a handful of them actually asked me to remove them from GS.

Confidence is high that this will all work out for the better of the forum.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Let us unpack your allegations one by one.

I've been an nocturnal individual most of my life. I rarely sleep, so I do most of my work and such on the overnight when no one's up to distract me. Just because this may be odd behavior to you, why are you judging me on what works for me? I accomplish (design; write; mix) amazing things when "everyone" else is asleep. Why the freak does this even matter to you?

We have members all around the world that participate on this forum. My late night post is someone's morning read, while another one's afternoon review.

• Q: How does one start a thread not from scratch?
• Q: Why shouldn't I give it a title?
• Q: What in the world are you referring to? What post are you talking about?
• Q: I arranged things so that you could neither edit nor delete that post? What in the world are you talking about, Brent Hahn?

My original post is as follows...

This sub-forum, is NOT just about acoustic music. The title of the forum says it all!

This is the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording" forum. Anything that has to do with mobile and location recording and production is discussed here.

All genres of music and sound production are welcomed as long as it has to do with on location work, either via portable rigs (of any size) or mobile recording rigs like large and small trucks, vans, RVs, boats, aircraft, pretty much any type of vehicle.

If someone comes to our fabulous Remote Recording forum and wants to talk about their (mobile or location) rock, folk, funk, country, gospel, pop (or anything else) project, DO NOT turn them away because you believe the forum (that I started way back when) is something different than what I originally had envisioned.

I would appreciate the full support of every forum member on this matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I did not copy and paste your post from a different thread and used it as the Original Post. I actually wrote those words!

Consider pasting that post you allege I stole from you and drop it in this thread for so we can review its content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I thought it was equally fascinating when, in the middle of the night, you...

• started a thread from scratch;
• gave it a title;
• used one of my posts from a different thread as the Original Post;
• and then arranged things so that I could neither edit nor delete that post.

In the abstract, I think anyone might find that behavior at least odd. Up close and personal, it really, really pissed me off.

You're a living legend at your day job -- all due respect. You came up with the concept for this forum. Major props for that. But you might not be the right guy to run it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
appreciate your thoughts on this topic!

Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Consider pasting those words you allege I stole from you in this thread for more clarity.
I can't.

After I screamed bloody murder in a "Report" of my own supposed post, some mod -- presumably not you -- listed the entire bogus thread as "unavailable" and "under investigation" for about a month. Now it's gone.

But I'm guessing that any mod including you can go look behind the curtain and find the whole thing. I'm also guessing that you and I aren't going out for a beer any time soon.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister View Post
I would like a separate forum for organ recordings on GS.
How about one for organ donations?

I'd love a free Hammond.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

A freakin' month ago? Are you serious! You know they read what you wrote, right?

I don't even know you, let alone have the ability to copy a deleted (or removed) post that you made a month ago.

I HAVE NO ACCESS TO DELETED THREADS OR POSTS, BRENT HAHN!
No one does. Once it's gone, it is gone!

Not for nothing, your misguided opinions are false, but super cute.

So, let us review...

You accused me of stealing a post that you wrote about a month ago which eventually got deleted because you screamed bloody murder in a "Report" of your own supposed post.

Now, you're assuming that "any moderator," specifically me went back about a month in time and somehow found your deleted post, so I can use it in my own original post. The fascinating thing about all this is the fact that this thread discussion happened to be motivated by behind the scene conversations with other forum members.

Besides all that, you found that me posting this alleged stolen post odd behavior because it was done during late night hours. On top of that, I started the thread from scratch, but wait a minute, I thought you accused me of stealing it from you a month ago? What gives, I mean, how come? And, what about the title? I used a title; how dare I title my original post?

Since you are NOT a living legend at your day job, you, Brent Hahn quite possibly might be the perfect individual to replace me at running this outstanding mobile and location recording forum.

I'm willing to quite this gig, if you become the Super Moderator you believe I cannot be. As long as everyone agrees, I'm good to go with that bargain.

Are you up for the challenge? I'll buy you a beer.

Quote:
I can't.

After I screamed bloody murder in a "Report" of my own supposed post, some mod -- presumably not you -- listed the entire bogus thread as "unavailable" and "under investigation" for about a month. Now it's gone.

But I'm guessing that any mod including you can go look behind the curtain and find the whole thing. I'm also guessing that you and I aren't going out for a beer any time soon.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't.

But I'm guessing that any mod including you can go look behind the curtain and find the whole thing (...)
i remember that ominous thread...

we drifted off topic a bit (possibly quite a bit?) in the original thread but then that ominous thread appeared out of the blue, containing most of what i remember to be cut out from the original thread, for good reason (and for which i thank steve or whoever else was in charge).

problem was though that this new thread was implying that brent was the thread starter which he clearly wasn't and that his (and other statements) were presented out of context, which made us look to be even bigger fools than we are... - i also remember brent protesting loudly (in the original thread i suppose)!

shortly after, things seemed to be sorted out, at least sort of and i didn't bother any longer so cannot comment on what happend later on.

p.s. after what just 'happened' in another thread of this forum (critical posts being deleted and not getting marked as such but they completely disappeared), i can understand brent even better...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 01:07 AM.. Reason: p.s. added
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Since you are NOT a living legend at your day job, you, Brent Hahn quite possibly might be the perfect individual to replace me at running this outstanding mobile and location recording forum..
Taking an all-due-respect acknowledgment and turning it on its head to belittle the person who posted it. Do GS moderators really do that?

As to the recollection in the previous post... if you don't remember any of that going down, there's a problem.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

I get it, it's easier for you to address that inappropriate comment I made which was out of frustration with your claim that I stole your deleted post from a month ago to use in this discussion, than to apologize for the extreme foolishness and irrational behavior you spewed at me from the get-go.

Yeah, "taking an all-due-respect acknowledgment..." which basically also continued to say, and I'm paraphrasing, "I'm not worthy of moderating the forum I conceived and built which is still running nearly 17 years later."

You could have just express regret for your over the top and illogicality perceived allegations. A simple apology would have done wonders, yet you decided to double down as if that gack you throw at me was nothing to be concerned about.

I find this a lacking good sense and judgment.

Quote:
Taking an all-due-respect acknowledgment and turning it on its head to belittle the person who posted it. Do GS moderators really do that?

As to the recollection in the previous post... if you don't remember any of that going down, there's a problem.
Old 3 weeks ago
The Internet seems to be the best place for people to argue about things that they actually agree on.

Steve is probably the most tolerant moderator I've ever seen. If it were me, I would've made the initial post and locked it. Certainly, I would not spend the time and energy he does attempting to debate with people who wish to grind axes with him.

This is probably one of the most valuable online gatherings for classical recordists - it's true; but it's unimaginable that people would be >>reporting<< threads that were not classical as not appropriate to the forum. Who does that?

The title says "Remote Possibilities" - a clever triple entendre on
  • (a) the specialty of remote recording for which it is the foremost forum of its kind;
  • (b) the American idiomatic expression which goes "that's a remote possibility" describing the unimaginable odds we often find ourselves against in this profession; and
  • (c) the last name of the founder and main moderator of this forum since its inception.

Then the title goes on to mention "Acoustic Music AND Location Recording", with no respect to any particular genre.

Where's the confusion exactly?

The amount of disrespect that some on these forums have for legends while hiding behind their keyboards is often astounding, but I suppose that's part of the mentality that currently pervades our society. Things used to be a lot harder, access was not so easy.

That said, it should be noted that he is not the only moderator here - there are others; so it may not be Steve who murdered your thread "in the middle of the night".

In any case, as much as I have enjoyed and benefited from this forum over the years, I like what the TapeOp Message Board used to do: a main forum that simply amalgamated all of the topics from the subforums. I'd love to see genre-based subforums here, with a main "messageboard" that kept all of the active threads visible - so as to keep the cross-pollination that makes this place so valuable and interesting going; but the subforums to help those with particular interests filter out the topics that are not relevant to them.

My $.02 - don't spend it all in one place.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Thanks for chiming in, Rob!

I appreciate your time and kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
The Internet seems to be the best place for people to argue about things that they actually agree on.

Steve is probably the most tolerant moderator I've ever seen. If it were me, I would've made the initial post and locked it. Certainly, I would not spend the time and energy he does attempting to debate with people who wish to grind axes with him.

This is probably one of the most valuable online gatherings for classical recordists - it's true; but it's unimaginable that people would be >>reporting<< threads that were not classical as not appropriate to the forum. Who does that?

The title says "Remote Possibilities" - a clever triple entendre on
  • (a) the specialty of remote recording for which it is the foremost forum of its kind;
  • (b) the American idiomatic expression which goes "that's a remote possibility" describing the unimaginable odds we often find ourselves against in this profession; and
  • (c) the last name of the founder and main moderator of this forum since its inception.

Then the title goes on to mention "Acoustic Music AND Location Recording", with no respect to any particular genre.

Where's the confusion exactly?

The amount of disrespect that some on these forums have for legends while hiding behind their keyboards is often astounding, but I suppose that's part of the mentality that currently pervades our society. Things used to be a lot harder, access was not so easy.

That said, it should be noted that he is not the only moderator here - there are others; so it may not be Steve who murdered your thread "in the middle of the night".

In any case, as much as I have enjoyed and benefited from this forum over the years, I like what the TapeOp Message Board used to do: a main forum that simply amalgamated all of the topics from the subforums. I'd love to see genre-based subforums here, with a main "messageboard" that kept all of the active threads visible - so as to keep the cross-pollination that makes this place so valuable and interesting going; but the subforums to help those with particular interests filter out the topics that are not relevant to them.

My $.02 - don't spend it all in one place.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
How about one for organ donations?
What are you looking for? A heart or maybe a pair of lungs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Music recording can be creative
Creatives are known trouble makers
We all rub along tolerably compared with many other Audio Forums
Who cares what its called
I knew Yanks call outside broadcasts Remotes, but was never aware of Steves punning intentions or his prowess
Its a joke that is sadly lost in translation (and without the charms of Scarlett Johansen)
Location Recording needs cherishing ,a largely clueless next generation, raised on simple digital devices, requires illumination on recording practice, now untaught at University or Music College.
We can be that Bodlian Library.
Roger
Old 3 weeks ago
A problem in the UK and probably worldwide is that organisations like the BBC no longer (as far as i know) train studio managers (i.e. sound engineers) and possibly producers, to the extent that they used to back in the 1970's and earlier. The rot set about 1980 and continued through the 90's and through to the 2019's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
A problem in the UK and probably worldwide is that organisations like the BBC no longer (as far as i know) train studio managers (i.e. sound engineers) and possibly producers, to the extent that they used to back in the 1970's and earlier. The rot set about 1980 and continued through the 90's and through to the 2019's.
Ironically, all the necessary hardware is now accessible at relatively modest cost...at least to get oneself started with functional basic kit like SD or Zoom F8, Rycotes and Rode equivalents....compared with the highly priced Nagras and mics of yesteryear.

What's absent is the tutelage and apprenticeship and learning on the job from mentors: opportunities that you and Roger have outlined....so trial (and likely much error) necessarily becomes the knowledge acquisition mechanism....plus the Internet, of course ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank Rob, I actually never got the pun because I'm not an American either.
I like earcatchers name suggestion, "on location recording" is a good catch-all, otherwise a paragraph of careful delineation between totally different practices is needed.
"The Forum where non-delineated professionals and amateurs alike compare the uses of various quantities and qualities of microphones used in non-studio spaces to depict music played in naturalistic settings with a variety of aesthetic goals for commercial and non-commercial purposes" is my choice if you love the long-form name, but even that whopper is contestable.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
whippoorwill.....I'm not sure that your long-winded 'whopper delineation' really achieves its goal, because the "remote world" is so broad and diverse as to virtually defy description.

However, did I read somewhere during the early phase of this debate that Steve Remote even considered embracing the recording studio within the gamut of operation that this forum might embrace ?

That's where I'd emphatically draw the line (on excluding the studio environment from this forum's concerns) on 2 grounds: firstly, because "the recording studio" , both home/project and industry-based/commercial, is already well catered for in several of the existing GS fora....and secondly, because many of the issues raised in the existing Remote Possibilities revolve around the problems, solutions and workarounds imposed by the remote recordists' necessity to work in improvised performance spaces, concert halls, clubs and bars, in the outside natural environment...in short, everywhere except the traditional studio environment !!

So if a defining manifesto or delineation statement were to be incorporated as a header or title headline for the re-definition of this forum's goals, I'd suggest it might better function by stating what's excluded from this forum, than trying to delineate what it embraces and includes ?

As outlined above, I'll suggest a very emphatic exclusion should be studio concerns and issues....because they're already catered for in existing forums, and are dedicated recording spaces from the get-go....unlike all the other environments that Remotesters work within !

I immediately recognise that this presents a dilemma considering the number of posts and threads concerned with locations such as Abbey Road, Skywalker Sound ....in short, the recording studios used by many orchestras and ensembles discussed often within these pages. I don't have a satisfactory response to that critically contradictory anomaly to my own proposal...!

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 03:52 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
However, did I read somewhere during the early phase of this debate that Steve Remote even considered embracing the recording studio within the gamut of operation that this forum might embrace ?
I've always taken the "acoustic" part of it is to mean studio recording of things that don't plug in, which seems like an odd pairing with "remote" recording. But "Comidas Chinas y Criollas" and "Chicken and Waffles" used to strike me as odd, too, so what the hell do I know?

Maybe it's all about eyeballs. As I type this, the "So Much Gear" forum has 58 viewers while this one has 6. And 14 of the forums are sponsored, but not this one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've always taken the "acoustic" part of it is to mean studio recording of things that don't plug in, which seems like an odd pairing with "remote" recording. But "Comidas Chinas y Criollas" and "Chicken and Waffles" used to strike me as odd, too, so what the hell do I know?

Maybe it's all about eyeballs. As I type this, the "So Much Gear" forum has 58 viewers while this one has 6. And 14 of the forums are sponsored, but not this one.
I'm just rapidly coming to the conclusion that a forum is just like a downhill intellectual slalom or toboggan ride, and rather than physical factors like gravity and centripetal acceleration and friction and banked side walls to keep everyone on the track and travelling toward the finish line, we have moderators and forum rules to scream "That's not allowed (or relevant)" ...and fellow forumites to post complaints (or PMs which dissuade further participation), but in the end if you're not banned or infraction-warned, you're still in the game with a chance of crossing the finish line !

Maybe that....and remaining civil and optimistic and positive...is all that really counts ?

There are too many intangibles and contradictions inherent in the naming of the forum for it to be confined by labels like remote, acoustic, jazz, rock, classical, nature sounds, ambient, etc
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
"The Forum...to depict music played in naturalistic settings..." is my choice if you love the long-form name, but even that whopper is contestable.
Certainly contestable: music only? I hope not!

And I agree with Roger (post 106) and, in a more fractious context, Juliet: 'What's in a name?'.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have done mobile recordings in studios, because bringing my gear in was cheaper, quicker, and better.

I would not exclude any location. Nor any type of music or sound.

Cannot we remotely record an electric guitar and drum box on Mount Everest in a portable recorder ? Does not raise this genuine concerns and questions ?

Heck, I have even done remote recordings in my own house. One of them was playing a music stand myself, glued on contact mic, run through mini quitar amp causing screaming feedback modulated by me playing the music stand, admittedly recorded acoustically with a MKH80 mic in super cardioid
That was for a part of a tape for a theatre/dance performance.

Is this not a remote possibility ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

Is this not a remote possibility ?
Indeed...and maybe this forum should simply be named : "The Recording Forum...anything, anywhere (which doesn't belong in all the others already on GS)" ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"The Forum where non-delineated professionals and amateurs alike compare the uses of various quantities and qualities of microphones used in both studio and non-studio spaces to depict music and non-music (a phrase in homage to François Laruelle) played in naturalistic settings with a variety of aesthetic goals for commercial and non-commercial purposes"
Most studios have mediocre equipment and even worse acoustics and even even worse monitoring so I totally agree with Yannick.

"On Location Recording" still sums all of that up and then some, I like how people want to expand on the long form and in doing so, prove the need for a short form that is more inclusive. Why make distinctions past "On Location Recording"?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
"On Location Recording" still sums all of that up and then some, I like how people want to expand on the long form and in doing so, prove the need for a short form that is more inclusive. Why make distinctions past "On Location Recording"?
Maybe the nub of the definition dilemma is in the word 'location'...rather than remoteness, type of music, etc.

Seems to me the currently favoured location is simply..... Planet Earth ?

If the current push is in the direction of more inclusiveness (for risk of excluding potential contributors) then....what should be listed as 'excluded' categories (if any) in the Remote forum ?

I think the 720 degree circle of 'naming debate' is nearing completion....and it's time for Steve to front up with his new all-encompassing definition ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search