The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

News Flash about the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
There exists a Newbie forum in the main GS front page index...and moderators are able to move threads over to there already, at their discretion.

I believe the Remote forum is a broad church, and to date has been able to encompass and support questions derived from both newbies and experienced recording folk alike. We all gain immensely, or are humbled, by this mingling and sharing process.

Individually we all very likely experts and experienced within the familiar locations and gig contexts we take on and work within...and at the same time we are inexperienced and newbie in other areas that we rarely if ever operate within. That doesn't mean that I/we/everybody doesn't gain a huge amount from reading about the expertise and practices in areas that others here work within regularly.

With a little tweaking ang labelling of the sub-genres, I'm convinced it's possible to attain the specificity required....without being exclusionary, dismissive or discriminatory of those with beginning or niche skills and experiences.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher_lover View Post
The only thing is that I'm not a newbie, as I've been doing it for over 50 years, nor a professional, although I hope my results are very nearly at that level, at times anyway. And I do know more or less how to use high end gear, although I'm always learning new things, I hope.
i wasn't aiming at you in any regard and i have no problem with people considering themselves 'pro by experience' nor do i think posting in the newbie forum is a bad thing even for a seasoned engineer - i just wish at times that there would be a bit less noise...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 12:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i wasn't aiming at you in any regard and i have no problem with people considering themselves 'pro by experience' nor do i think posting in the newbie forum is a bad thing even for a seasined engineer - i just wish at times that there would be a bit less noise...
That's fair enough and I fully understand. I was just mentioning it and did not think you necessarily had me in mind! I just think that some of us are getting a lot from how the top professionals work, and I am certainly grateful that so much help is so willingly given.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

IMO the introducion of sub fora would be a mistake. It is my thought thst we can learn from each other. If I would record rock/pop on location, live, I would go about it in much the same way as any classical recording, with the exception of getting everything closer.

Headphones, cue mixes, playback tracks do not interest me, neither for classical nor for jazz or pop.
But still.
If we separate the forums, this would lead to further isolation, while I tend to notice a trend towards more live in the room recording, regardless of genre.
Maybe this is a side effect from the forum as it is, and my perception is wrong. Maybe that is a reason not to split things up in sub fora.

I do not mind at all to see a thread pass by about how to provide 60 cue mixes, with at least 20 different mixes. It does not disturb me. What would disturb me is if it gets hidden in another sub forum.

If someone asks a genuine question about amping a guitar amp, as a classical recording engineer it could interest me as well. I remember a discussion somewhere about the typical Pat Metheny setup. Interesting stuff, even for those who would never recording anything other than string quartets ?

I mean, how much % of amped location recording is about using only direct feeds and DI ? Most still have a (acoustic) mic somewhere ? Is there a difference between a bass trombone and a 8x 10 inch bass amp ? Do rock recordists not care about quality of the bleed ? Is delay compensation never used on multi mic drum tracking ? Etc.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I agree...one can generally intuit, from reading the 1st posting in a thread, whether the general thrust of the question or audio-sample is likely to be one which I can respond to with any helpful insight...or if it's a 'pass-on-by' one.

Adding to this, the various evolutions, twists and turns and sidetracks can be as instructive and engaging as the germane replies...so I'll often keep tabs on a thread, which is ostensibly of peripheral interest, just in case.

We've already got VR/surround/ environmental sounds/ chamber and orchestral and choral and too numerous to mention other variants on the remote (ie out of studio) spectrum...and yet I don't find this variety bewildering or unwieldy ?

As Yannick says, the solutions and approaches to problems can often come from seemingly unrelated, parallel disciplines within audio recording generally, and we exclude these to our detriment.

A test of the efficacy of the current system would be to examine how many 1st posts in a thread fail to receive a single reply of advice or engagement of interest ? Answer: very few, if any
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

i do not wish for subfora in terms of topic but level (newbie/pro), gear, handling (again newbie/pro) and other topics/general discussions.

right now, there are many folks who can afford pro gear but have not much experience how to use it: i wish there would be options to distinguish; this could also get achieved by allowing each member to flag other members and create categories on his/her own. of course those markings cannot be seen by other members! it would also help to mark notorious trolls without ignoring them...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I prefer to not have Subforums, I learn a lot from
topics outside my areas of interest.
Likewise I find that I am sometimes able to make useful contributions to areas outside my areas of interest. This is part of the creative process.
Dividing things up into Subforums would be anti-creative.
Are we really better off by having some people
only exposed to Fox or only exposed to MSNBC?
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

I'm also very happy to read posts on all types of music, where I do sound we have events of all types. I find it just as thrilling to get a great recording of our 9 ft Steinway and an opera singer as I do getting a cool electric guitar sound on a more rock oriented event, or most fun when I get to mic and record a string quartet acting with a jazz combo incorporating electric and acoustic instruments (with the same 9 ft Steinway requiring a totally different approach than for the opera soloist).

I encourage people who are not recording amplified music to stick around, I enjoy learning from your topics, and really, as I'm only using a DI on bass (and not always), I'm still recording the air around the source, so it all ties together.

I just know that I live and love to capture moments in time and hear them back.
Old 3 hours ago
Super Moderator

I like the fact that you and others are happy to read posts about all types of music. Yet, there are folks that are sending the wrong message either by creating a report or by telling them to leave the forum within their thread discussion. This is actively derailing my original mindset and dynamic for this wonderful forum.

Just the other day, someone posted a thread about, "Advice for recording a live classical concert with PA," and someone reported the thread, stating that it's in the wrong forum! IT IS NOT IN THE WRONG FORUM for that subject discussion!

I hate the fact that so many of my friends and associates rarely frequent this forum due to the fact that they believe this does not represent them any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
I'm also very happy to read posts on all types of music, where I do sound we have events of all types. I find it just as thrilling to get a great recording of our 9 ft Steinway and an opera singer as I do getting a cool electric guitar sound on a more rock oriented event, or most fun when I get to mic and record a string quartet acting with a jazz combo incorporating electric and acoustic instruments (with the same 9 ft Steinway requiring a totally different approach than for the opera soloist).

I encourage people who are not recording amplified music to stick around, I enjoy learning from your topics, and really, as I'm only using a DI on bass (and not always), I'm still recording the air around the source, so it all ties together.

I just know that I live and love to capture moments in time and hear them back.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search